Help removing spyware, adware etc

Hi everyone…I am VERY frustrated trying to remove spyware etc. that infiltrated my system! Here is the low-down. Yesterday I downloaded a TV show episode from a trusted source but the file extension was .rar which needed a special reader to open. As soon as I downloaded that reader I realized I shouldn’t have so I immediately uninstalled it. In those few minutes a TONNE of crap found it’s way into my computer!! I have run the virus scanner at eset.com, the scanner/cleaner at ewido.net as well as SpyBot SD. Each program found and removed a lot of unwanted stuff but I am still getting unwanted pop up ads when I open a new browser and my security setting for cookies (Control panel…internet options…security…privacy settings…)keeps getting reset to low after I restore it to medium. HELP! What other spyware removal tool is there that I can try as the 3 I ran obviously didn’t get everything! Thanks to anyone that can help me out here!!! :o)

Unfortunately this is one of the problems of responding to pop-ups that say they can help you defeat spyware, and these are usually found associated with sites distributing illegal downloads.

You are using some of the better spy- and mal-ware removers - especially the newer version of SpyBot - but you didn’t mention Adaware (Lavasoft). I don’t think this will solve all the problems but it is a worthy addition. No single program will detect all malware but Adaware and SpyBot usually manage it.

Another thing you could do is install and use a browser that blocks pop-ups, such as FireFox, Safari, or Internet Explorer 7.

For future reference, .RAR files are accessed by using the proper shareware application WinRAR.

Thank you imkidd57 for your reply! I will try Adaware and hope it will solve the problem! :o)

[QUOTE=alanamarie;2021354]Thank you imkidd57 for your reply! I will try Adaware and hope it will solve the problem! :o)[/QUOTE]

Also you might want to try this host blocking file to block unwanted pop and sites from loading themselves

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

give that a try as well…I use it and been happy I did…got rid or popup and reroutes … made my internet browsing more liveable…

sounds like your already infected. try avg its freeware. STEVE

[quote=imkidd57;2021303]Unfortunately this is one of the problems of responding to pop-ups that say they can help you defeat spyware, and these are usually found associated with sites distributing illegal downloads.[/quote]:iagree:

You are using some of the better spy- and mal-ware removers - especially the newer version of SpyBot - but you didn’t mention Adaware (Lavasoft). I don’t think this will solve all the problems but it is a worthy addition. No single program will detect all malware but Adaware and SpyBot usually manage it.
The system is compromised. No cleaner will help apart from the “format disc” function of the operating system install disc:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/secmgmt/sm0504.mspx

Another thing you could do is install and use a browser that blocks pop-ups, such as FireFox, Safari, or Internet Explorer 7.
This is not enough. Using a user account without administrative permissions is essential.

For future reference, .RAR files are accessed by using the proper shareware application WinRAR.
I prefer the free 7zip, but this is just a matter of taste.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/secmgmt/sm0504.mspx
"You can’t clean a compromised system by using a virus scanner. "

Michael

Yo-

Michael is Spot On correct-

With spyware and malware - if you get infected - you are screwed-

In this case - an ounce of prevention is worth a ton of cure-eh!!

[QUOTE=alanamarie;2021275]Hi everyone…I am VERY frustrated trying to remove spyware etc. that infiltrated my system! Here is the low-down. Yesterday I downloaded a TV show episode from a trusted source but the file extension was .rar which needed a special reader to open. As soon as I downloaded that reader I realized I shouldn’t have so I immediately uninstalled it. In those few minutes a TONNE of crap found it’s way into my computer!! I have run the virus scanner at eset.com, the scanner/cleaner at ewido.net as well as SpyBot SD. Each program found and removed a lot of unwanted stuff but I am still getting unwanted pop up ads when I open a new browser and my security setting for cookies (Control panel…internet options…security…privacy settings…)keeps getting reset to low after I restore it to medium. HELP! What other spyware removal tool is there that I can try as the 3 I ran obviously didn’t get everything! Thanks to anyone that can help me out here!!! :o)[/QUOTE]
Download HijackThis version 2.0.2. http://www.filehippo.com/download_hijackthis/
Open HJK. Click, Do a system scan and post a logfile. Copy and paste the log here for review.

I´ve heard that Adaware has been “bought”

…meaning some particular companies that pushed for their “rights” to install stuff on our computers have been able to persuade (paid?) Adaware to “not detect” their cookies or whatever. This may have been done in court…so nothing anyone can do about it…except as already suggested…keep things clean and safe.

I regularly run Adaware (still useful) and Spybot, have CCleaner, and a good antivirus (e.g. free, but really ok: AVG, or AntiVir) and firewall…and have not experienced any significant problems.
If you want more antivirus info go to www.av-comparatives.org