Help - Protection on Home Made DVD?

Okay, I made a DVD from family clips recently and it works perfect. I’ve even made a few copies for other family members. However, tonight I encountered an error for the first time.

While using both Full Disc and Clone to make copies of my home made DVD, it popped up something about PathPlayer, and that I needed to enable it because the DVD might have protection on it. Okay? Protection on a home made DVD? Anyways, I clicked enabled, restarted DVDFab and it just freezes up, then unfreezes, then freezes up again… over and over until I just cancel the process.

I’ve checked and I have the newest version. Does anyone know why it does this, or if there’s a way to fix it? It still lets me make back-ups of my official DVDs without a problem so I was just wondering.

What media are you using? What burner are you using? What speed are you burning at? DVDFab is not the problem, I’m pretty sure its a media/faultly burn problem.

Try clicking “Disable PathPlayer” in Common Settings.

Exactly.
Signals beat me to it…again… :sad:
The default setting for PP is [B]Enable PP when necessary[/B].
Completely disable it.

Using Fab to copy an unprotected disc is overkill since there’s no protection, but it should still work. Perhaps a file structure issue?
You can use any burning software, such as nero, to copy

Sounds like he’s using the default settings as his post says "popped up something about PathPlayer, and that I needed to enable it because the DVD might have protection on it. And the default setting doesn’t run pathplayer unless it reads a error and pop up will come up for you to restart the program and pathplayer will be enabled for the dvd, if you want it to. So I don’t think Disableing it fully will help, as seeing it is a burned media and still stand by it being a media/burn fault.

The media is maxell. I actually have 4 DVDs that I made. I have to create the actual DVDs on my desktop. I have Nero on it and really don’t understand the crap that came installed on my notebook so I had been using DVDFab to “clone” the DVD-Rs. I don’t see why the media would be bad though. It’s clone the same disc and the other 3 fine. And it even cloned the other 3 disc tonight without a problem.

Update:

Problem solved… though I have no clue how, LOL. I ended up having to restart after doing a few updates and when I went back to DVDFab it worked perfect cloning the Disc I had been having trouble with… maybe it just needed a rest. :slight_smile:

Thanks to everyone for providing help and advice! :slight_smile:

[quote=Metrock;1915099]Sounds like he’s using the default settings as his post says "popped up something about PathPlayer, and that I needed to enable it because the DVD might have protection on it. And the default setting doesn’t run pathplayer unless it reads a error and pop up will come up for you to restart the program and pathplayer will be enabled for the dvd, if you want it to. So I don’t think Disableing it fully will help, as seeing it is a burned media and still stand by it being a media/burn fault.[/quote]This was my point:), i.e. on a self-authored DVD there is nothing for PathPlayer to do anyway and DVDFab was apparently misinterpreting a read error as a structure protection and triggering the PathPlayer restart box. Disabling the feature would allow normal error handling without the PathPlayer restarts.

Home made DVDs are often authored with appallingly bad authoring packages, leading to programs suspecting they are part of an advanced protection system.

Regards

Too true!:iagree:

[quote=blutach;1915348]Home made DVDs are often authored with appallingly bad authoring packages, leading to programs suspecting they are part of an advanced protection system.

Regards[/quote]

Forgive the off topic question, but, do you have a recommendation for a GOOD home authoring package that outputs decent DVD’s? Thanks!

I noticed you said you are using maxell dvd’s. Don’t. They may have been part of the problem. I have used them before and won’t again because 50% of the new blank dvd+r’s were unusable due to poor quality. I wouldn’t entrust my family videos to a maxell dvd disc. Go for one of the premium brands that are high quality and good for archiving treasured family video’s. Everyone has their own opinion on what’s good quality disc, but the most consistent would be verbatim, tyo yuden, some others. Personally, I use Sony, they are also top quality and I can get them fairly cheap at the walmart two blocks away. Also, it seemed that everyone wants to say dvd-r are more compatible than dvd+r, but in my experience and the experience of aquaintances, the opposite seems to be true. My dvd player’s didn’t like dvd-r at all, but the dvd+r never fails to play. My burner didn’t like dvd-r either, it would cut off the ending of movies when burning. Anyway, don’t use maxell for your archival family videos, it’s not a safe preservation media.