HELP! Problem with LITEON 52x Writer!

This past week, I’ve had a problem with my LITEON drive. When I write cds in Nero, they take forever, and I keep getting a fluctuating buffer, and a shaky mouse cursor. After running Nero CD/DVD speed, it says that my max write speed is 15.86x. I’ve never had this problem until recently.

Does DMA have anything to do with this? The writer only operates in PIO mode, while the dvd-rom drive on the same IDE channel is DMA. I’m not sure if this has anything to do with it.

Does anyone have any ideas? I’ve burned so many cds over the years, and this drive in particular is only a few months old.

It just doesn’t seem to be able to write at 52x anymore, and the buffer fluctuates.

My system is as follows:
Intel Pentium 4 2.53ghz
1GB PC2700 Crucial
128 MB DDR Leadtek Video Card
Sound Blaster Audigy 2
Lite-On CDRW LTR-522446S (problem drive)
Lite-On 16x Dvd Rom

Been using NERO 6 for a while now, never had a problem until recently. Have tried uninstalling and reinstalling it again.

Originally posted by nexposure
Does DMA have anything to do with this?

it probably has everything to do with this. set the writer to “dma if available,” and if that doesn’t work in getting it running in dma mode, completely uninstall the ide channel that the writer is installed on and reboot, allowing windows to reinstall the channel.

that worked! don’t know too much about that DMA thing, just futzed around and noticed that.

THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR HELP!