Help Please

Is there any way i can play a data disc on my television through a normal dvd player. A friend has done me some but i can only watch on the pc. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

If your dvd player is capable of playing avi video files, those files are burned as data on a dvd, so some forms of data dvds can be used in standalone dvd players. But even with these, only certain codecs and certain configurations work well. Xvid and divx are the most commonly used video codecs used in this process.

What is on these data dvds? If it isn’t video, I don’t think it will work.

No. Data discs are meant for a computer. Video and sometimes audio discs are meant for your DVD player. Your TV and DVD player do not have processors that can handle typical data discs.

Please be more specific on what you want to ‘watch’ on your TV with your DVD player.

Sorry, I didn’t consider AVI or other types of ‘data’ discs.

RM

Thanks for the quick reply. The files are AVI is there any way i can convert them to play on my regular player. My PC is in the hall which is not the best place to comfortably watch a movie. Please bear in mind i am not the most competent PC user. Thanks again Criss

If they aren’t playing, either they are encoded in a way that is incompatible with your player, or your player simply isn’t one that can play avi video.

The safest bet would be to convert to dvd-video. There are several free programs that can do this, including DVDFlick, AVStoDVD and FAVC.

ConvertXtoDVD is a popular commercial program for this conversion.