Help please

i have a complete season of heroes i have transfered of the orignal disk, to create a backup. i need to send to disk but they must be playable i’m not to bothered about a dvd menu. i have sent the files to my pc as avi files, how would i go about doing it? thanks

If your standalone player is able to read AVI files, you simply need to create a data disc with the avi files.

If your standalone is not able to play AVI, then you need to rip again the original discs as regular DVD video files (aka IFO, BUP and VOB).

To remove anything but the main movie from the original disc, you can use DVD Shrink (free but not more updated by years) or CloneDVD (not free but updated regularly).

i have manged to convert the files but the they have converted into seperate episodes i have problems when i go to burn them to disk.

What is exactly the problem? What burning software are you using? What error do you get exactly?

the software i am using is nti cd and dvd maker 7, i am trying to use the dvd video_ts function of the program to send them to disk but when i go to send more than one avi file that has been converted to dvd format, trying to drag and drop them into the burn menu. it keeps telling me that i already have them files in the burn list. but it is part of another video file.

I really can’t understand what are you doing :confused:

If you have the original DVD, why did you convert it into avi and then you are trying to convert the avi again into DVD? :confused:

This process is painly slow and actually totally useless because each conversion will cause a lost of quality.

I’ll ask you again: is your standalone able to read avi files? If yes, you don’t need to convert the avi back to dvd, and you need simply to create a basic data disc (no VIDEO_TS folder).

I don’t use NTI software, but there should be somewhere the option to create a [B]DATA disc[/B] ([B]not[/B] VIDEO DVD disc)

my standalone player is unable to read avi.

Then the solution is really simple :slight_smile:

Starting from the original discs, use DVD shrink to extract all episodes directly in DVD format. This is the better way to get a quality output.

Converting the AVI back to DVD format requires many hours to re-encode the file (DVD shrink can create an entire disc in few minutes) and the quality can be awful.

doesn’t matter now i won’t bother

thanks anyway

What is the problem? :slight_smile:

DVD Shrink is a free software, and it works very fast. You can create your discs very quickly whereas to convert back the avi into dvd will require many hours for each episode, and with a lower quality :frowning:

Saving the output as ISO file you can easily burn on a DVD flawlessly your backups :slight_smile:

the reason i had avi files from the orignal is because i used platodvdripper and could not find a free copy of dvd shrink

:eek: DVD Shrink is completely free. At the moment I don’t have a link but if you google it I’m sure that you can find it easily :slight_smile:

To rip the original discs you can use DVDFab Decrypter (free too)

ok i will google it thanks for all your help

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

If you already have the .avi files, you can use the program VSO ConvertXtoDVD to rebuild your discs. http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/?ap=regnow&aid=97139

Probably not as elegant a solution as DVD shrink, but the program does a very nice job of compiling multiple files of many types onto a TV-ready DVD. You can put as many files as will fit on the disc, and there will be a compact menu to switch between episodes.

I am doing a lot of burning .avi files, and I like the program very much. An alternate program is Xilisoft avi to dvd.

[QUOTE=hobo20212;1975123]i have a complete season of heroes i have transfered of the orignal disk, to create a backup. i need to send to disk but they must be playable i’m not to bothered about a dvd menu. i have sent the files to my pc as avi files, how would i go about doing it? thanks[/QUOTE]

What is the sense behind that?
dvd -> rip -> convert to avi -> convert back to dvd format
? :confused:

[QUOTE=sanarita;1975215]If you already have the .avi files, you can use the program VSO ConvertXtoDVD to rebuild your discs. http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/?ap=regnow&aid=97139

Probably not as elegant a solution as DVD shrink, but the program does a very nice job of compiling multiple files of many types onto a TV-ready DVD. You can put as many files as will fit on the disc, and there will be a compact menu to switch between episodes.

[B]I am doing a lot of burning .avi files[/B], and I like the program very much. An alternate program is Xilisoft avi to dvd.[/QUOTE]

Burning is not converting, and convertxtodvd is a converting tool mainly.