HELP please! This problem wont go away for about 2 months now

vbimport

Hi guys.

Well, I tried several official and modded fw’s.
Some with minor problems some with good results.
Well, but 1 problem always remains - I cannot read ANY burned DVD disc.
Every pressed/commercial DVD works like a charm. Maximum read speed even
when using low-quality magazine-dvds like the ones from PC Games.

Well, currently I am using “Quality-patched 832S firmware for 451S, 851S, 812S, 832S (current: CG4E)” and my drive is now recognized as “LiteOn DVDRW SOHW-832S” - btw it is a 451S drive.
I have made every step said in this thread .

I hope that someone can help me. It’s driving me crazy…

Oh, before I forget that, I burned a DVD with DVD Shrink 3.2 and scanned it with a laptop DVD Combo drive (because my LiteOn does not recognize any burned media…thats why i posted this thread ^^).
Results of this scan is attached:

What is the media code of the media you are using? Have you tried other media, even a DVD+RW? Generate a Nero Infotool report and attach it to a post, so we can see more about your system…

I’ve attached an InfoTool Report (blank media because no burned ones are recognized - thats the problem).

Media Type:
1 Layer
max 4x
4.38 GB
Manufacturer ID - POMSA001 0R

bad media. Try a different one.

Thanks for that tip but before making any 451@8x1 MOD everything worked fine with that type of media…

I’ve bought a Sony DVD+R wit supported speeds till 8x (Manufacturer ID MCC 002) and it’s the same result - it burns it like any other DVD but reading that media after burning is impossible.

Furthermore all DVDs I burnt before don’t work anymore - and there are very very important backup files on that ones.

I really don’t know what to do - PLEASE help!

i am having the same problem, this is the second burner i have gotten that has done it, which makes me think its a software problem… however i have a second drive here (i bought two of em at same time) that i will try tomorrow. but any assistance will be appriciated

Hello,

i’ve the same problem with my LiteOn SDW-431s DVD-burner in my notebook after crossflashing msc3 firmware to ms0k

Thanks to themolester and mnikolaus for stating out that they have the same problem!
Well, so I am NOT the only one with that problem.
Anyway, somebody that HAD this problem before and FIXED it must be out there, right?
Please find a way…

To give you more informations I attached a scan of an 700MB Data CD-R (CD!! not DVD)
burnt with my crossflashed LiteOn and read with it.
I really really hope someone could give tips or something. This drives me nuts!

Thanks alot for any tip.

btw, i have updated ASPI(ASPI drivers version v4.71.2 (WinXP), official ones from adaptec homepage) but even that did not help.

@ SmashD
Q1.Can Kprobe recognize(Kprobe>info>disc) a burnt DVD disc in the problem drive, just not read the info on it?

Q2. Are you burning these data discs with InCD?

I think you have a conflict problem, and to solve that, I would recommend a couple things.

1. Try to put your burner as master on second IDE alone, without the cd-rw drive attached, and see if that works. If it doesn’t, you may reattach the cd-rw drive.

2. Try to uninstall ALL burning software using Nero CleanTools(all of them) and reinstall ONLY Nero(without InCD if you can). Try to read a disc.

Let us know how that goes. If they both fail, post another infotool readout.

@ themolester, mnikolaus
welcome:). Your configurations are most likely quite different and you may need different solutions, so you may not get good results from following these potential remedies. You both should also post nero infotool outputs.

Thanks “please” ^^
Q1 >
Disc Type DVD+R
Book Type DVD+R
Manufacturer
Media ID POMSA0010R
Protection System None
Region 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Capacity 4,38 GB
Free Size 4,38 GB
Free Blocks 2295104
Number of Layers 1
Linear Density 0.267 um/bit
Track Density 0.74 um/track
Maximum Read Speed 3,2x
Maximum Write Speed 4,0x
Current Write Speed 4,0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 1 4,0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 2 2,4x CLV

So I think it is recognized correctly, right?

Q2> No, I used DVD Shrink 3.2 and that’s using Nero as burn engine right?

@ SmashD
Q1.Yes it identifies a blank disc correctly, does Kprobe recognize(but not scan) a burnt disc correctly…or at all?

Q2. Good, InCD is not an issue(so far…) Yes, you can select nero to be the burning engine for DVDShrink.

Try my other suggestions as well(you may already be doing that)

You are right - I am dl’ing newest Nero Trial atm (pretty slow, Aheads servers are not as fast as I would like it^^), I already deinstalled all the programs the nero uninstall softwares where able to find ( the 4 or 5 programs you gave me the link to).

Q1 > Well, I am sure that I burnt something to that DVD…but hey, I can still use that one (maybe) so (maybe) no bad-burned disc hehe

I have tried the step from Q1 with another disc where I don’t get onto the DVD (not via explorer, isobuster or any other software - I burnt that one yesterday, it’s a copy of an original Video DVD):

Disc Type DVD+R
Book Type DVD+R
Manufacturer
Media ID POMSA0010R
Protection System None
Region 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8

Capacity 4,38 GB
Free Size 0,00 GB
Free Blocks 0
Number of Layers 1
Linear Density 0.267 um/bit
Track Density 0.74 um/track
Maximum Read Speed 8,0x
Maximum Write Speed 4,0x
Current Write Speed 4,0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 1 4,0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 2 2,4x CLV

I really hope that the problem belongs to the Nero burning engine =(

Ehm, another point, just to show you how baaaaaaaad my crossflashed 451s burns atm I will add another kprobe result asap. Thanks alot for helping me!

Well, here it is:
(stopped scanning after ~5% because it was running only at 0,6x for a long time)

@ SmashD
So you cannot read the data from the disc but you can kprobe the disc and it looks like this(that is a very bad scan)…that is a bit clearer.

By the way,4x scan speed is the forum standard for comparison, but this scan is early enough(in the CAV read strat) that the speed did not get up to or go far beyond 4x(I think) so you might want to rescan, and if it is greatly improved, you can post the results, otherwise, there is no need to.

I was under the impression that nothing could read/recognize the disc. Now it seems that they are recognized and scan-able, the data is just unreadable. My bad for not asking the right questions.

From the info given at this point, your problem might be a poor quality media issue like toant103 suggested. Can the data on your previously burnt data discs be read on any other computer? I would guess that it/they can’t be. To eliminate the possibility of poor quality media, I think it is important at this time to use some media that is known to give consistently good results. Try some like RICOHJPNR01 and post back your results.

Also, the steps you have done previously won’t hurt and probably will help, so it wasn’t wasted effort.

I scanned with 4x but speed did not get much more than 1x due to the errors.
I deinstalled Nero completely with the given tools and installed v6.6.0.6 (newest
available). After that I burnt a disc - result:
That disc is not been recognized by Windows AND kprobe! So the drive tries to read it, blinks some time and then does nothing, no spin up, just nothing.

Where to get a blank DVD with Man_ID RICOHJPNR01?
The discs (before making all these steps today) can be read on other computers, but not on mine… (to make it clear: since I did the F/W update the burnt discs are not readable on any PC, BEFORE the update the kprobe results were not good but good enough and be readable on any pc)

Well, I heard something about EEPROM and that this is the place for the laser calibration data… I tried to clear all learned media information with the eeprom tool but that changed nothing gaian. =(

Nevermind about giving me -in your eyes- wrong answers or such.
It’s always good to clean the system up a bit ^^
I am very happy about the fact that there’s someone out there that wants to help me.

@ SmashD
Hey, sorry you didn’t get better results. Good job on searching out the EEPROM tool. I did forget to mention the very important step of resetting learnt media memory when flashing between 451 and 832 or any other model number change. :o After resetting your eeprom, it may take 3 or 4 burns to get consistent results.

I don’t know where in the world you are, but in the USA (IMHO) RICOHJPNR01 are the best-for-less. They are available here , but you may find them at BestBuy with a little research. Some online retailers post the MID’s.

Well I did 6 or 7 bad burns after that eeprom and fw stuff… too much i think.
Furthermore this type of DVD+R ran smoothly from the very first burn…but since the crossflash everything gone bad - even with the Sony DVD+R I tried yesterday.
BTW, I am from Germany as you have noticed because of my bad english ;p - maybe I could find a Ricoh DVD+R here, i will try.
But you understand that I don’t have much hope that this DVD writer burns readable media any time in the future?! Well, thats confusing! I just wanted to test DL burning and thats what I get - an expensive DVD Rom drive without any burning capability =(

@ SmashD
From a previous post

btw, i have updated ASPI(ASPI drivers version v4.71.2 (WinXP), official ones from adaptec homepage) but even that did not help.
You may be better off with version 4.60. You can get what you need here.

Well, since the problem is since I updated my firmware to a 8 series one…
Could somebody please tell me the best quality firmware for a 451s?
It is not important if it’s a new or old one - just to test if I can burn with that fw, because
I believe that the FW is the problem…

@ SmashD
My guess would be that GSBC is the best since it is the newest for a mature drive. I do not have any personal experience with it, though.

Thanks, could you please give me alink to a step by step instruction?
I am no newbie but because of all my problems I got since that FW I want to be sure…

Could anybody give me a eeprom backup for the drive LDW 451S? Maybe that could help?!?
Well, I try everything atm. hehe