Help please! Saving CDROM from crashed firmware update

vbimport

Hey guys! I was experiencing problems with my cd burner for the last couple of weeks so today I searched the net for an updated driver/firmware for my drive (an LG GCE 8520b) CDRW.

I managed to find this firmware for it so I executed it and as it was installing, my computer crashed and rebooted! When the computer came back on, my cdrom lights were out and when I hit the tray button, it wouldn’t open either.

So I asked for some help and went into my system folder and lo and behold my cd rom is no longer listed under my hardware. Even in windows explorer and bios, my cd rom is no longer there
:frowning:

I called into LG customer service and the representative told me there was nothing they can do since the 8520b did not have an official firmware upgrade which I thought was strange since I did managed to find one online.

Anyways, now my cdrom doesn’t work at all and I have no idea what to do. I’ve tried reinstalling the firmware update again but now it keeps on saying models don’t match :frowning:

Can someone please help me? I would be soo totally thankful for your suggestions!

Tina

Check the mtkflash sticky at the top of this forum. (Even though your drive isn’t on the supported drives list, on the last page someone reported success with yout model of drive so it should work) All the instructions you need are found in the mtkflash sticky and dhc014’s website.

You will need a .bin copy of the firmware.
Download a copy here.

Hi ssseth, I downloaded and installed MtkWinFlash.exe from http://digi.rpc1.org/mwf.htm.

When I chose ATAPI mode, my cd rom was not listed (it was just a blank pull down menu) so I couldn’t flash anything.

When I chose IDE mode, no matter which slot I picked (ide master, slave, secondary, primary) none of them seem to cause the ‘flash now’ button to enable so I couldn’t flash anything.

It just appears that the cd rom is literally dead and not detected at all. It doesn’t even power up.

Do you know what other options I have? :frowning:

Tina

That’s why I recommended mtkflash

mtkwinflash only works if the drive is detected in Windows.
If not (ie your drive) then use the DOS version which is mtkflash.

Originally posted by Ssseth
mtkwinflash only works if the drive is detected in Windows.
If not (ie your drive) then use the DOS version which is mtkflash.

Direct IDE mode sometimes lets you flash misflashed drives in Windows.

WOW Thanks guys!! Ssseth the dos version worked! My drive has been revived!!! Many thanks :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

Originally posted by dhc014
Direct IDE mode sometimes lets you flash misflashed drives in Windows.

Good to know :iagree:

Glad we could help tina :bigsmile:

i have searched my problem at google then i found this forum, we used to have same problems… i did like you told so my CDRW is working again. thank you all for helping, you saved my 40$ for buying a new one :wink:

sansaL from Turkey/Adapazari