Help please! NEC ND-2500A hang up my system!

Hi to all.
I can’t resolve this problem…
Sometimes happend that when i’m trying to burn a DVD the NEC starts to write the Lead-In… then… the green light of the burner light off and the burning stop (LeadIn not completed and disk now a coaster). The burning program think that all is Ok (it continue to show the remaining time). At this time i can’t undo the burning so i kill the burning program… but all the system now is hang up and i need to reset Windows. The DVD that i’ve used are Princo, Ritek, Memorex… all DVD-R. ATM i have no problem burning +R.
I only have Nero and DVDDecrypter, no ASPI driver… i dunno what it can be! The same discs burned again (after reset) gave me no problem.

Try if installing ASPI drivers work. A good and stable version is ASPI 4.60…

If you can’t find it in the net search for ForceAspi1.7

The problem is with the ide sw of the nvidia 3.13!!

I bet you have one nforce motherboard!

@KillaH:
I don’t think is an ASPI problem because (i think) aspi is not necessary in the system. I never had ASPI installed in my pc because i know that it can create problems.

@filippoitalia:
I have an old Asus A7V with Via KT133 so i don’t have nForce chipset. My previous burner (Sony DRU 500) never gave me any problem so i’m a bit confused…
My IDE driver are the Microsoft driver (no Via 4in1 installed)

What version of Nero are you currently using? I use 6.3.0.2 without any difficulties. Have not burned a coaster yet.

I’ve tested Nero 5.5.10.42, 6.3.0.3 and DVDDecrypter 3.1.9.0 All gave me this problem so I think it’s not a “burning program” problem… but an “incompatibility” problem (but i dunno where). I haven’t change my hw/sw configuration… and with this config my previous burner always worked fine… :confused:

Power supply?

I’ve a 350W power supply… and my UPS says me that my Pc uses about 275W in total so i think it’s not a power problem… maybe a defective power supply plug-in (i’m using some “Y” power cable to supply all my hardware)
I’ll make some tests! Thanks for suggestion!

I was wondering if you ever resolved this problem cuz I’m having the exact same problem.

No, I haven’t resolved yet. I’ll try to moving to original firmware (I’m using the one provided by The Dangerous Brothers which unlock the rip speed) to see if something change.
Please, can you write your hardware/software configuration?
Mine is:

Athlon 750 MHz
Asus A7V - Via KT133 chipset
512Mb Ram
Windows XP Pro
No ASPI Layer installed - I’m using Nero 6.3.0.3 and DVDDecrypter as burning programs.
NEC is on Primary Slave.

Does the Asus use the 686A or 686B southbridge? (686A only supports ATA-66, 686B ATA-100)

There were some problems with the 686B southbridge mainly due to latency. There used to be a tool for tweaking the latency of the chipset.

Tried updating the BIOS (admittedly Asus support for older boards isn’t great).

Originally posted by blinky
Does the Asus use the 686A or 686B southbridge? (686A only supports ATA-66, 686B ATA-100)

It uses the 686A southbridge. Infact the standard onboard controller only supports ATA-66 devices (where i have connected the optical drives). The hard disk drives are on the Promise ATA-100 controller.

There were some problems with the 686B southbridge mainly due to latency. There used to be a tool for tweaking the latency of the chipset.

Does this problem affect 686A southbridge too? Anyway… i dunno why this problem appear with NEC and not with Sony. The burning speed was the same (4x) and both drive are ATA-33

Tried updating the BIOS (admittedly Asus support for older boards isn’t great).

I have the latest bios (rev. 1011).
I have tried to flash the NEC with the new 1.06 firmware (january release) to see if something change. Just for curiosity i have retrieved the new firmware using the tool provided by TDB and i’ve opened the fw with an hex editor. I have found the 2 different firmware version (december and january 1.06) so it seems that the Windows Flasher don’t erase the ROM at all (i think so). So i’ve re-flashed the NEC in DOS mode using the original 1.06 in bin format. I’m currently make some tests to see if could be a corrupted firmware that make all problems to me.
Anyway thanks for your suggestions.

Uhmm… this new “flash” doesn’t change the problem. I’ve burn a Memorex DVD-R (CMC MAG AF1) at 2x. I’ve tried to read the disk in Nero CD-DVD Speed to see the graph… and immediatly (during the Spin-Up operation) I receive this error:
“Read of scrambled sector without authentication” and the reading stops. I dunno what to think… with DVD+R (ATM) i have no problems, the firmware is the original december 1.06 so all seems to be OK. :confused:

Did you try uninstalling nero rebooting then reinstalling?
Sometimes it happens to me then I uninstall nero then use ultra wincleaner and clean the registry, then reinstall the trouble app (Nero) and Im back in business.

Originally posted by Charlieco
Did you try uninstalling nero rebooting then reinstalling?
Sometimes it happens to me then I uninstall nero then use ultra wincleaner and clean the registry, then reinstall the trouble app (Nero) and Im back in business.

The fact is that this problems happends with Nero and also with DVDDecrypter (that use SPTI I/O driver and not Nero WNASPI).
Anyway… these are the final results:

1. The 1st DVD-R (not +R) that I burn after powering-on my PC very often is unreadable with the “Read of scrambled sector without authentication” error. Then I can do all DVD-R that I want… but all will be fine (after the 1st coaster)

2. Sometimes the NEC hang up during the Lead-In. This happend with the old firmware (flashed with the Windows Flasher). With the new re-flash this problem doesn’t happend until now.

3. No problems with +R (until now)

4. The only advantage of the re-flash (under DOS) is that the write strategy (at least with Memorex -R) is MUCH better. Now i have low PI/PO and no bad graphic in Nero CD-DVD Speed. I’ll try some Ritek.

5. Seems that this NEC like, at least, 4x writing (and up). 2x is not a good speed for this drive and often produces worst results than 4x writing.

Any suggestion is really appreciated! :wink:

over 2 years later and still experiencing the same problems. I’ve noticed though that:

[ol]
[li]only the dvd writer is hung up, only after trying to access the drive an applcation that application hangs, applications already running keep running.
[/li][li]It only happens when the ‘My computer’ window is open while starting to burn the dvd, but nero will not always hang when it is open.
[/li][li]though as long as you not access the dvd writer drive everything still works, the system will not shut down. ‘saving settings’ dialog opens and closes, then ‘shutting down’ opens and closes, but system does never automatically shut off after that. hardware reset required to regain control.
[/li][li]I sometimes have to completely remove power from the system to restore the writer to working condition. i.e. just rebooting does not resolve the problem.
[/li][/ol]

Anyone have any suggestions?

I have the same issue with my NEC1300A. 3 or 4 days ago it got 20% into writing a disc and just stopped, ever since I have had nothing but problems. Sometimes discs will not eject, even sitting in my BIOS screen. The green activity light will sometimes just stay on until I pull the power. Nothing has changed on my system and I have tried different media, which used to burn perfectly fine. Wondering if this is the end for my old reliable 1300A!

Anyone have any thoughts on this problem?

Thanks

Trying with other media would be a good idea.

I have the same problem as mp3dom has. I tried with NEC2500A and Pioneer 111D.
Tualatin 1300mhz + Asus TUSL2C + 512MB
PM: HDD
PS: Asus 616P1
SM: DVD RW (Nec or Pio)
SS: Teac W54E

Sil0680 with 4 HDDs.
Installed softwares: Windows 2000 SP4, Nero, CloneCD, CloneDVD, DVD decrypter, MagicISO, Daemon Tools. Do you have any idea?

At least the Pio 111 has to be run in UDMA4 mode properly.
The 25x0 is on UDMA2, IIRC.

The main problem here could be either a bad ide cable or incorrect jumpering/connection.