Help please, LITE-ON SOHW-832S Not working correctly

Hi to all:

I really hope that you can help me. Here’s the story.

I have an HP Pavilion 730m computer with Windows XP Pro SP2, 512Mb ram and 160Mb HDD. It has an OEM DVD burner listed as LITE-ON SOHW-832S (originally with VPDD firmware).

I was using Roxio EMC 7.5 to burn cd’s and dvd’s without a problem. I installed the new version of Roxio EMC 8.0 and everything started going downhill from there. Couldn’t write a DVD after installing EMC 8.0.

Roxio’s support said to upgrade firmware so that’s what I did to VPDE downloaded from HP’s website.

It’s been two weeks since this and I haven’t been able to write a single DVD. I have flashed the drive with different firmwares (currently it has VSOM), with different results ranging from drive not accesible, to being disabled in the device manager, etc. I get all kinds of errors when trying to burn dvd’s (Session fixation error-medium error, Program Memory Area Update Failure-medium error, Power Calibration Area Error-medium error). I tried burning with different brands of media (verbatim, sony, memorex, generic officedepot, etc.), but cannot make it work.

Also, now it flashes red when writing and green when reading, something that it didn’t do before.

Right now I’m pretty desperate since I need it to burn some work projects.

Is there a way to restore the original firmware and make it work correctly again? Didn’t know that firmware could be backed up.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

Max :sad:

Is it too simple a suggestion to suggest System Restore, to a time when all was working well ??

Hi James:

I will try it, although I don’t think that it will works since I have modified the firmware.

Thanks anyway,

Max