Help please, can't burn with premium properly

I just put in my new Plextor Premium drive and wanted to go and test out to see how well I can backup my games that have the new securom protection and I’m have extremely bad problems with it.

I first installed the new firmware v1.05 (it was v1.00 before) and installed the new Plextor Pro Tools v2.09 and I have it running all the time. I first turned on GIGAREC to 1.2 so I can make a copy that doesn’t need emulation and you can install from it. I then copied the KOTOR image to the hdd and extracted a bwa file (while reading it, it had major spikes). I then burned that at 4x and included the bwa in the burning process. After burning I then tried to run it and it won’t work at all in both the premium and my aopen 56x cdrom. In the cdrom the protection times out and says if I want to try again and I do but it quits. While it was reading it kept pausing and retrying (did this in burner too).

From before I had the KOTOR image on my hdd and bwa file read from my liteon and I then tried to burn it with those same settings as above and it still does not work and there is no spikes in the bwa file at all from when I extracted it with the liteon.

I’ve also tried turning off GIGAREC and burning like I do with my liteon and that still doesn’t work and the game hangs and I can’t close it. The disc icon stays there until I have to turn the power off and back on again to restart the pc.

I’m using Blindwrite v4.5.7 and Windows XP Pro. The manual for the plextor burner said to make it the master and not slave so I did that from the start and made my aopen the slave on the 2nd IDE channel. Both drives are set on DMA if available.

Does anybody know what could be wrong cuz I’m really thinking on returning it if its like this. I’ve also included a screenshot of what the cdspeed reading was when I turned off GIGAREC and burned the image. The first pic shows my liteon’s burn and then the plextor’s burn. Thanks for any help you can provide.

LITEON IMAGE :

PLEXTOR IMAGE :

Go here and download the latest version…

Close down plex tools…
Start up BW5…
Select “copy” and make sure the game is in your plex premium…
Source == plex premium…
Destination == plex premium…
Click copy…
It will ask you to insert a blank once the reading has finished and after about 20 mins, you’ll have a perect copy that will play in your cd-rom and your writer* (*as long as you got either BW or autoplay installed)

hi,
hey, don’t do it with bw 5… 4.5.7 is great for people like u and me using a plex premium…
first at all: de-install the plex-tools, they r useless (MY oppinion)…
then, for a good backup of securom new 4.x+ start bw 4.5.7, make an image of the protected cd (KOTOR: CD 1), NO alternate reading method, NO subcodes needed… reading speed i would prefer 16x…
after that, go and download a good .bwa or just do one - best results in premium are at 8x speed, sometimes 4x - but if your graph is bad, just download the .bwa file (or ask me, i will mail you (german version).
Not to say that you have to put the .bwa file into the directory where the image files are stored and it has to have the same file-name as the image… (KOTOR_1.bwa)
then start blind write and make sure settings are: NOTHING activated BUT “cache size = automatic” AND "Open Tray after Burning (or whatever it is in the english version…) - DONT USE AUTOPLAY, you have a premium and so for securom’s you don’t need it!!!
then start the recording, choose 4x speed and include the physical data - 20 mins later you have a perfect backup of the game…
important: if you want to run the game from a writer you need a hide-atip tool, so for better results play from your normal cd-/dvd-drive…
greetz,
Raz

thanks for the info and so fast to respond! I’ll give that a try. One more question if you don’t mind. I saw a few other posts that said the premium can make copies that don’t need autoplay or any emulation, is that not true? This is why I bought the plextor premium so I can make working copies without emulation and to be able to install the game from the same disc.

I thought I would try what Razor1982 said before I uninstall v4 and install the latest v5. Its the exact same as before, nothing really to change from what my settings were already. Here is the log file info :

Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Patin-couffin version 14 in use
Blindwrite Version 4.5.7.92
----- CD DEVICE INFO START OF REPORT -----
CAUTION : Using unknown CD writer.
Unit String : "PLEXTOR CD-R PREMIUM "
----- CD DEVICE INFO END OF REPORT -----
Unit 1:0:0 - PLEXTOR CD-R PREMIUM 1.05 [G] (Ide)
Speed x4
VolumeId : “KOTOR_1”
Hash : 9C07E02F65992226E3358F84A1904F0EFF3A8E62
HD image “KOTOR_1.BWT”
Physical media informations (BWA) found.
BWA support by TwinPeak technique is used
Writing mode : DAO PW
Sectors read : 335076
Sectors built: 0
CD is complete

so v4 will always use the TwinPeak method it seems so that does mean I need to install v5 for the supported settings I need. I’ll try it in the afternoon, its 4:40 am now and need some sleep. Thanks for the help guys, I’ll update with a new reply if it works or not.

I thought I would try what Razor1982 said before I uninstall v4 and install the latest v5. Its the exact same as before, nothing really to change from what my settings were already

As already stated by me (i do own a plex premium aswell!!!) do this:

[B]Go here and download the latest version…

Close down plex tools…
Start up BW5…
Select “copy” and make sure the game is in your plex premium…
Source == plex premium…
Destination == plex premium…
Click copy…
It will ask you to insert a blank once the reading has finished and after about 20 mins, you’ll have a perect copy that will play in your cd-rom and your writer* (*as long as you got either BW or autoplay installed) [/B]

If you don’t want autoplay added onto the disc download this tweaker and uncheck autoplay.

Doesn’t need it however cos the backup works fine in any machine** i ever tried with nothing but the game installed (ie no BW or emulation software)

**you will need emulation if playing the backup in a writer

Originally posted by |Twisted|
so v4 will always use the TwinPeak method it seems so that does mean I need to install v5 for the supported settings I need. I’ll try it in the afternoon, its 4:40 am now and need some sleep. Thanks for the help guys, I’ll update with a new reply if it works or not.

If you DO do it this way then you will need to make two copies, one for installing purposes (no twinpeaked patch) and one for playing (twinpeaked patch)

This depends on what drive you use to install/play the game as some can read twinpeaked copies (liteon) but most (oldies) can’t

Do a search on this forum as this has been covered many times if you want to know more.

hi,
your log sais it uses twinpeak-technique?
that’s wrong, normally with a premium it sais something like: .bwa variation by rate is used (or something similar)…
twinpeak doesn’t work good with the super-new securom’s…
and: bw 4.5.7 works perfect for me (with my premium) so no need to buy a new license for bw 5 'til now…
right: for Securom new you don’t need autoplay - because it makes a real good copy.
some need to use autoplay for safedisc 2.9+, some not… i copy sd 2.9+ with alcohol using the safedisc profile (no bypass efm…) and my backups work even in my picky toshiba 1802 drive… without emulation…
IMPORTANT: use a cd-r media, not a cd-rw, because the premium can’t use data-rate-variation (gigarec) on a rw media
greetz,
Raz

hburrows83

As already stated by me (i do own a plex premium aswell!!!) do this:

then you should have tried it with 4.5.7 - it already supports this drive-feature… believe me or not (but then go and ask vso… :wink: )
maybe you tried it with 4.5.7 before you got firmware 1.03 for the premium? because it didn’t work with 1.00, 1.01 or 1.02… ???
(just needed to say this because i feel right with this… :wink: )
greetz,
Raz

I had v1.00 firmware when I first checked it but before I did anything with the drive I used the 1.05 firmware. hburrows83
, I just wanted to try 4.5.7 again once more because it was installed but then I did install v5 (latest version) and tried to burn the v4 image and it did work. I havn’t tried reading the disc and burning with v5 but I’m sure it does work. Thanks for helping me with this and the fast response everyone, it was really starting to bug me and thought I had a bad drive. This is the log I have from the v5 burn :

NOTE : I tried to burn onto a cdrw at first and tried twice cuz I didn’t want to make more coaster so thats why there is two errors :

12/27/2003 11:45:35 AM info ******************** Report session closed *********************
12/27/2003 5:47:51 AM info Writing completed in 19:51
12/27/2003 5:47:32 AM info Finalize started
12/27/2003 5:28:00 AM info Write started
12/27/2003 5:28:00 AM info Buffer Under-run protection is enabled
12/27/2003 5:28:00 AM info DAO PW writing mode selected
12/27/2003 5:28:00 AM info Writing speed required x4, effective x4
12/27/2003 5:27:59 AM info DAO writing mode preferred
12/27/2003 5:27:59 AM info Media topology will be reproduced by Varirate
12/27/2003 5:27:59 AM info Media ID can’t be read
12/27/2003 5:27:59 AM info Writing CD-ROM Disc [KOTOR_1] - Image Size 780 Mb.
12/27/2003 5:27:59 AM info Writing device : 1:0:0 - PLEXTOR CD-R PREMIUM 1.05 [G] (Ide)
12/27/2003 5:26:09 AM error Topology to be reproduced with Premium, but writing device is not premium. Write aborted.
12/27/2003 5:26:09 AM info Media ID can’t be read
12/27/2003 5:26:09 AM info Writing CD-ROM Disc [KOTOR_1] - Image Size 780 Mb.
12/27/2003 5:26:09 AM info Writing device : 1:0:0 - PLEXTOR CD-R PREMIUM 1.05 [G] (Ide)
12/27/2003 5:25:24 AM error Topology to be reproduced with Premium, but writing device is not premium. Write aborted.
12/27/2003 5:25:24 AM info Media ID can’t be read
12/27/2003 5:25:24 AM info Writing CD-ROM Disc [KOTOR_1] - Image Size 780 Mb.
12/27/2003 5:25:24 AM info Writing device : 1:0:0 - PLEXTOR CD-R PREMIUM 1.05 [G] (Ide)
12/27/2003 5:24:54 AM info Imported file format - BwaBuilder (BWA)
12/27/2003 5:24:54 AM info Imported file format - Blindwrite 4 (BWT)
12/27/2003 5:24:23 AM info Launched with external parameters
12/27/2003 5:24:09 AM info Using Patin-Couffin driver Version 1.18, Internal revision 18
12/27/2003 5:24:09 AM info Autoplay driver active. Version 4
12/27/2003 5:24:09 AM info ParamStr 2 = “C:\WINDOWS\bw5.ini”
12/27/2003 5:24:09 AM info ParamStr 1 = “/ini”
12/27/2003 5:24:09 AM info ParamStr 0 = “C:\Program Files\VSO\BlindWrite5\bw.exe”
12/27/2003 5:24:09 AM info User default language : 1033 (0x0409h) - English (United States)
12/27/2003 5:24:09 AM info System default language : 1033 (0x0409h) - English (United States)
12/27/2003 5:24:09 AM info Version 5.0.7.122
12/27/2003 5:24:09 AM info Title : BlindWrite 5.0.7.122
12/27/2003 5:24:09 AM info ExeName : “C:\Program Files\VSO\BlindWrite5\bw.exe”
12/27/2003 5:24:09 AM info OS : Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
12/27/2003 5:24:08 AM info ******************** Report session started ********************

I’m still having problems reading the bwa file, lots of spikes (mostly going downwards) in the middle and the left side of the graph, here is a pic :

I get more spikes on the left side while its reading (a lot more) but they disappear after its done reading and I get the same results at 1x, 4x, 8x. I think I’ll keep using my liteon to make them or use BWAEDIT to fix the plextor ones.

Razor1982, about v4.5.7, it didn’t detect my plextor as being a premium model, it didn’t know what kind it was at all.

I have one more question, I also have Dead To Rights which has Starforce 3 and I read a message that you need to read and burn at 1x with a plextor premium to create a semi-working copy. The plextor premium’s lowest burn speed is 4x isn’t it? Is there a way to make it go 1x with the tools or something else?

Thanks again for all your help.

hi,
ok, so i guess now there are 2 people who don’t really believe my statements any more (BUT I burn all securom’s (supernew) using bw 4.5.7 and pattin couffin 15(!), could anyone please be so kind and confirm that it works??? i feel so alone out here… :wink: )
to the .bwa file: yes, the spikes on the left of the graph are typical for the bwa-builder + plex prem. - try using alcohol 120 to make a .mds file (8x) and convert it using bwabuilder.exe - the results made by alcohol are much better, coz it uses another technique…
but if you use bw5 now, have pfunn with it, i don’t like what i heard 'bout it 'till now, and as long as 457 works for my purposes i don’t think about upgrading…

starforce 3: nope, even if copying a game at 0.1x speed would not produce a working backup… only chance to use sf3 images is to mount them in a v-drive (alc 120)… but before that you have to physically unplug your cd-/dvd-rom drives… i think that’s not worth it…

hope you guys still believe me, i swear i am telling the truth (about securom + plex prem i mean)
greetz,
Raz

I didn’t mean to sound like I don’t believe you, thats not what I’m saying. Im just saying for my pc when I tried v4.5.7 again, in the log it didn’t reconize it for me. I didn’t save the log for it or else I would post it. I did see a couple other posts that v4.5.7 does work for people so I don’t think your lieing at all, sorry if it sounded that way before.

ok, so i guess now there are 2 people who don’t really believe my statements any more (BUT I burn all securom’s (supernew) using bw 4.5.7 and pattin couffin 15(!), could anyone please be so kind and confirm that it works??? i feel so alone out here… )

I believe AND support your reasoning as i ALSO use that version of BW. Over the years i have used pretty much every version, and do know how good 4.5.7 is…

Try downloading the latest bwa builder and using that because it creates much better graphs as the code as been rewritten and optimized. With these types of programs aslong as they don’t do anything stupid a newer version is normally better, otherwise why would there be the need for updates? If you don’t like the latest version BW5 because it has been dumbed down (only the interface though, the inner workings are far superior to older versions) then keep 4.5.7 but update the BWA builder…

Of course each to their own, just my 2 cents :bow: :bow:

hburrow83
Is there a BWA builder better of the one i found in BW 4.5.7?
where can i get the updated BWA builder?
Should i download BW 5?

You can download the new BWA builder from Here
And yes so far it is alot better, also has an option to clean up a BWA file.

Thx a lot for the info!
Can it also be used with Blindwrite 4.5.7?

Originally posted by Venturer
Thx a lot for the info!
Can it also be used with Blindwrite 4.5.7?

Yes, so far with limited testing it has worked well.

I do agree with the automatic settings being a let down but to most users I think its great for them because they don’t know which each setting means and less coasters till they figure it out (maybe no coasters now). I’m happy using the tweaker to change the settings to what I need so I will continue to use v5. I’d rather perfer to make my hdd images from v4.5.7 with the new bwa builder and burn with v5 using v4 images.

I havn’t tried this yet, but can both versions run on the same pc at once? v5 and v4.5.7?

hi i need some help i download “star wars knight of the old republic” and i can’t make him work so i download a file that fix it but the format of the file is “bwa” and i don’t know what to do with it can someone help me and i need that fast

The only thing you have to do fast is to read the forumrules…no warez.