Help Please - Benq problem

Hi everyone,

When I am Trying to copy Data from a DVD from my Benq DVD rom it is taking forever. for example 2.4GB data taking over 100min.
I have crossedflashed my benq, but i had this problem before and I still do. So any idea what the problem might be?

please help me to solve this problem
Thanks already,

CP

Is DMA enabled for the BenQ?

Hi helpme++, welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

I suggest you read this article:

DMA reverts to PIO

and also this thread:

Troubleshooting: Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x

Hi Skelton,
what is DMA?

DMA: Direct Memory Access

It’s the most efficent way of reading/writing information from/to a optical drive or harddrive.

The older PIO (Programmed Input/Output) isn’t fast enough to keep up with today’s speeds on optical drives and harddrives, so you need to run such drives in DMA mode for acceptable performance.

Hi Dragon,

Thanks. I checked in device manager and it says “DMA if available”. I think is good right? What else could be the problem for the slow copying data from DVD Rom to Harddrvie? Do u know something about this problem?

You are seeing the requested transfer mode, not the current transfer mode. You’ll have to check what’s displayed in the box below “DMA if available”.

And I do suggest you read the article and thread I listed above, if as I suspect your current transfer mode is “PIO Mode”.

In “Primary IDE Channel”

Device 0
Transfer Mode = DMA if available
Current Transfer Mode = Multi-Word DMA Mode 2

Same thing for Device 1

This could still be the DMA reverts to PIO problem, only not degraded all the way to PIO Mode yet.

I suggest you try one or more of the fixes described in that article or in this thread:

Troubleshooting: Enabling/Checking DMA in Windows Vista, XP, 2000, Me, 9x

Thanks DrageMester I will try now

Hello helpme++ Welcome to CD Freaks.

DM beat me to it. DMA stands for direct memory access.

You need to find out what mode your BenQ is using.

I forgot to mention, Everything was working fine before. I didn’t change anything in the setting. It just happen suddenly. So do I have to change anything?