Help: pioneer dvr-112D how to remove region counter

I’m a noob regarding dvd burner and firmware so pls. bear with me and my questions.
I bought a pioneer dvr-112D last sept in the US….then moved to australia in december….
Now I cannot view any PAL dvds on my NTSC dvd drive….actually I can but I need to permanently change the region code of my burner to a PAL region which I do not want…
My main reasons for trying to change the region setting of my burner region are as follows:

• I need the burner to read/play PAL region dvds (australia) so that my kid can watch her dvds while I watch using our region free dvd player. I do not have time to watch unless she does something also….=(
  • I need to make back-ups of my nintendo Wii games. My console is in NTSC region (USA) so I need to burn my back-up games in NTSC so that my console can read/play it. The back-up game must be burned in region 1 setting or the console will read the disk as error.

I tried to read and understand the posts in this section but my head still cannot follow. So could someone summarize the procedure in making the dvr-112D region free?
The ony thing I understood is to check first with Nero Infotools to check if the drive is RCP1 or RCP2.

Here are my specific questions:

1. What if my drive is RCP2, what steps to do? What firmwares/software do I need? Where to get it?

2. After patching my drive firmware, do I need any softwares to reset the region counter? How often do I need to reset th eregion counter?

3. If I change my drive to region free, does it mean that it can play/read any region movie dvds? Does it also mean that if I make a back-up of my NTSC region game, I will be also be able to burn it on a dvd in NTSC region format or will the burned back-up game now be region free also?

4. Is there a way to move the region code of the burner from PAL region to NTSC region (and vice versa without any limits on the number of chnages) and resetting the region counter without patching/updating any of the burner’s firmware?

Hope somebody can help me out.
Thanks!

[QUOTE=exar khun;1971759]I’m a noob regarding dvd burner and firmware so pls. bear with me and my questions.
I bought a pioneer dvr-112D last sept in the US….then moved to australia in december….
Now I cannot view any PAL dvds on my NTSC dvd drive….actually I can but I need to permanently change the region code of my burner to a PAL region which I do not want…
My main reasons for trying to change the region setting of my burner region are as follows:

• I need the burner to read/play PAL region dvds (australia) so that my kid can watch her dvds while I watch using our region free dvd player. I do not have time to watch unless she does something also….=(
  • I need to make back-ups of my nintendo Wii games. My console is in NTSC region (USA) so I need to burn my back-up games in NTSC so that my console can read/play it. The back-up game must be burned in region 1 setting or the console will read the disk as error.

I tried to read and understand the posts in this section but my head still cannot follow. So could someone summarize the procedure in making the dvr-112D region free?
The ony thing I understood is to check first with Nero Infotools to check if the drive is RCP1 or RCP2.

Here are my specific questions:

1. What if my drive is RCP2, what steps to do? What firmwares/software do I need? Where to get it?

2. After patching my drive firmware, do I need any softwares to reset the region counter? How often do I need to reset th eregion counter?

3. If I change my drive to region free, does it mean that it can play/read any region movie dvds? Does it also mean that if I make a back-up of my NTSC region game, I will be also be able to burn it on a dvd in NTSC region format or will the burned back-up game now be region free also?

4. Is there a way to move the region code of the burner from PAL region to NTSC region (and vice versa without any limits on the number of chnages) and resetting the region counter without patching/updating any of the burner’s firmware?

Hope somebody can help me out.
Thanks![/QUOTE]

1. There are sticky threads explaining how & where to get the necessary fimwares and there are many posts her ein this forum describing how to make this burner regioncode free.
    Alternatively you could use tools like AnyDVD, software only solution.

2. Making backups of some console games is not the idea of this subforum, AFAIK.

3. PAL and NTSC are two different videoformats and cannot be mixed up or converted easily. You can find guides for converting over at videohelp.com, doom9.org or even here in the cdf forum.

DVD burners don’t have PAL or NTSC. Your PC will play either without a problem. They do have region codes which allow 5 changes and after that they lock. There’s various solutions to that which you can search at your leisure.

True, of course.
I was thinking he maybe alsomeant PAL & NTSC regarding standalones, which can be problematic. :flower:

@ exar khun,

Welcome to the Forum.

You are confusing DVD Region Code with NTSC/PAL Video Format.

Suggest using Google Search (http://www.google.com) and WikiPedia (http://en.wikipedia.org) and doing a little of “Research” on the DVD Region Code and NTSC/PAL topics.

Suggest reviewing the Pioneer DVD Burner Read First posting titled “MediaCodeSpeedEdit support for Pioneer DVD-Writers” (http://club.cdfreaks.com/f87/mediacodespeededit-support-pioneer-dvd-writers-153213) for detailed information on how to correctly “patch” Pioneer Firmwares to allow DVD Drive RPC-1 “Region Free”.

Patching DVD Burner to RPC-1 “Region Free” is only part of the problem. Suggest reviewing the below Web Link concerning “Region Free” ->

http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=239

The AnyDVD-CloneDVD software programs are excellent easy to use programs that will assist in making your Commercial DVD Movie collection “Region Free” ->

http://www.slysoft.com

However the AnyDVD-CloneDVD software programs will not convert NTSC – PAL Video Format.

Backing up Nintendo Wii Games is a topic out of the scope of the Pioneer DVD Burner Forum. There are Web Forums whose primary focus is Nintendo Wii Games backups and suggest using Google Search (http://www.google.com) to locate these Web Forums.

Regards,
bjkg