Help on px 716a?

vbimport

Hi, I need your help. Using Verbatim-branded MCC003 8x +R burned at 8x and 12x (Plextool 2.18 and nero 6.6.0.3) on Px716a TLA#0101 FW 1.03.

PIE for 8x burn.
AVG 0.11
Max 12
Total 14010

The second chart:
Burning at 12x
PIE
AVG 12.65
Max 825
Total 1804178

I burned about 10 disk now without any coaster and it play fine on my stand alone pioneer dvd. Should I RMA for new drive, it take about 10-11 min. to burn at 12x. Thank you. Sou.

somethings definitely not right with your 12X burn. it should take anywhere btw 6:45-7:30 for a 12X burn and your scan doesn’t look good. could be the media can’t do 12X as it’s only rated for 8X.

Thank, drpino. On the cover of the media, it say “UP TO 12X compatible with 12x Hardware” and it Verbatim MCC003. Or it could be my computer, I have PIII 800mhz, 512mb ram.

skytech76 > What are the system requirements on the box say? Is your system compatable?

It say P4 1.4ghz, I am about to upgrade to p4 3.2ghz later. Thank for the reply.

Try running a TE/FE scan on a blank disc (it’s a non-destructive test, so you’ll be able to use the disc for something else later). See what the results say at 12X, then at 8X. My guess is that the media may be marginal and that the drive will say 12X on this media is NG. If it says 12X is OK, then the drive is definitely at fault. I’ve never seen a bad 12X burn on MCC003 for the PX716, but I haven’t tried it with 1.03 FW yet.

If my calcs are correct, 12x DVD burning is 16MB/sec and that’s a lot of data for a PIII/800Mhz to move on a 100/133Mhz bus. My computer’s not quite as slow as yours and I also get great 8x burns and questionable 12x ones.

Quote:
Posted by Beeder
Try running a TE/FE scan on a blank disc (it’s a non-destructive test, so you’ll be able to use the disc for something else later). See what the results say at 12X, then at 8X. My guess is that the media may be marginal and that the drive will say 12X on this media is NG. If it says 12X is OK, then the drive is definitely at fault. I’ve never seen a bad 12X burn on MCC003 for the PX716, but I haven’t tried it with 1.03 FW yet.

Here is the test result for TE/FE scan, that can be write on 12x speed. Should I return by drive for a new one.

Drive Info 	  	ID:0 PLEXTOR DVDR PX-716A V1.03 (#133354)

Test Settings Write Speed: 12.0X (16620 KB/s)
Test Result Disc Info: Blank DVD+R, MCC 003 00
FE Results The test result is good within the tested area.
TE Results This media can be written at the highest speed.
Test Duration 0:06:31

Did you try then writing at 12X to the same disc that tested OK? If TE/FE test says it’s OK, writing should be OK. If burn goes bad on this same disc, there seems to be some writing strategy problem. I’ve got some MCC003, and I’ll try them later to see how they compare, but as I recall, my drive burned them OK at 12X. If you wanted to make a quick decision, though, I don’t think you have anything to lose by exchanging the drive.

Here is the result of that disk. It take 8.57 min burning on 12x. I am runing the pi/po testing (will post it later). Is this normal speed. thank.

Start Write Copy 1/1
Writing Lead In
Writing Track 1 Start:00:00.00 Length:435:35.54 3828 MB
Writing Lead Out
AutoStrategy Result:
AutoStrategy function is not executed.
BP Rec activity: 14 occurences. (what is this mean)
Selected Write Speed : 12.0 X
Maximum Media Write Speed : 12.0 X
Actual Last Write Speed : 12.0 X PoweRec : enabled
CD/DVD Copy completed successfully

i think it’s your burn proof/bufferun underun protection kicking in. seems your machine/HD can’t keep up with the write speed.

BP is Buffer Underrun Proof. I think you’re system can’t keep up the speed. PIII-800Mhz should be enough (almost) to burn 12x but perhaps there’s some services or other software taking your system resources. BP activities will slow down the burn speed.

My ex 716a with fw 1.01 burned Verbatim MCC003 at 8x in 7:55 http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=756633&postcount=22

and burned 12x in 6:28. http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=757061&postcount=30

edit: drpino beat me.

BP Rec activity: 14 occurences. (what is this mean)

is write buffer under runs, usually happens if DMA is not set to UDMA , or HDD is to slow, can also happen if something is hogging your pc bus cycles or you cpu is to slow.

Here is the pi/po test. What happen to this disk in the long run. Thank you all I will upgrade my comp.

Drive Info ID:0 PLEXTOR DVDR PX-716A V1.03 (#133354)
Test Settings Read Speed: 2X CLV
Test Interval Length: Good Accuracy
Test Result Disc Info: UNDEFINED DVD+R, 3828 MB (UNDEFINED) MCC 003 00

PIE
Avg Max Total
3.44 252 419996
POF - - 0

Test Duration 0:13:20

So, in a nutshell, your system can’t keep up for some reason. This will cause the drive to pause and restart burning mid-disc, which can cause PIPO errors, especially during spin up while burning. If you’re using XP (which I hope is true), you can look at the task monitor via Ctrl-Alt-Del to see what’s eating your CPU time during the burn. Slowing down the burn will (obviously) help, but the root cause is that something is hogging your CPU at the wrong time. The drive has a huge buffer, but that means it also takes a long time to fill it when it runs down. There’s probably nothing wrong with your drive.

If XP does the same thing earlier Windoze OS’s do, that might not be a great idea. I’ve found alt-ctrl-del will freeze all processes until the Close Program window is dismissed. That would really put burn-proof to the test! :bigsmile:

This page has a lot of great freeware monitoring utils, check out “Process Explorer” to see how hard (or not) your CPU is really working:

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/utilities.shtml

I can highly recommend it from personal experience.

Slowing down the burn will (obviously) help, but the root cause is that something is hogging your CPU at the wrong time. The drive has a huge buffer, but that means it also takes a long time to fill it when it runs down. There’s probably nothing wrong with your drive.

A budget hard disc on a 100/133Mhz bus is probably the likely culprit. The Plextor drives don’t seem to use up very much CPU, esp. compared to other ODDs.

Plextor’s 8MB buffer might actually be useful for the slower CD burns but at 12x DVD speed (16MB/sec), that’s only half a second’s worth of data. Better hope whatever’s holding up the burn doesn’t last longer than that!

Okay I have the same problem now… Not EXACTLY, but the same BP Rec activity thing

I have 4 occurences, but it stalled. At 99% on both status bar. It’s stopped for about 10 minutes now. Doesn’t seem like the PX716A inside a prolific external enclosure through firewire is receiving any information from my laptop…

If i click cancel now, i will most likely get a coaster…

This is in the writing the Lead Out phase when the BP Rec activity pop up…

Here’s how it looks like:

Start Write/Copy 1/1
Writing Lead In
Writing Track 1 Start:00:00.00 Length:178:37.49 1569 MB
Writing Lead Out
BP Rec activity: 4 occurences. (BP Counter)

That’s it, now it’s stalled still…