Help on LDW-401S

Hi

This is my first post so please go gentle on me :smiley:

My friend just helped me to install a Lite-on LDW-401S (DVD+R/+RW). It’s the master on the secondary IDE channel I think. I upgraded the firmware to the latest official ES0G version. XP recognizes it fine, DMA is enabled.

However, when I try using Roxio or NTI CDmaker to try to burn a CD on it, I keep getting “Insert CD in drive D” or “Drive D inaccessible” message (after putting in a perfectly fine CD-R in the drive)

When I tried using DVDInfo Pro to test the included DVD+R media DVD+R, the status reads" “No media is present”. With a Philips DVD+R, it reads:

Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Manufacturer ID cannot be read
Format Capacity Blank
Free Blocks 405405696
Free Capacity 4.38GB(4.70GB)
Book Type Unknown
Media Type DVD+R
Media Id Code Speed Unknown
Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.4x 3324KBps
Linear Density Blank Disc
Track Density Unknown
Number of Layers 1

DVD Plus Identifier also doesn’t recognize the media. I see “Not available” for all criteria (Disc type, manufacturer, media type. etc.) and the status reads “Disc Not Yet Initialized:Not ready-Medium not present”. With a Philips DVD+R in there I get a status of “ADIP Read M1 Failed:illegal Request-invalid field in CDB”

SmartBurnMediaCheck shows (with the factory supplied DVD+R)
[1-0-0-0: Lite-on DVD+RW LDW-401S ES0G]
Drive Type = DVD+R/+RW
Disc Type = NO MEDIA

and with a Philips DVD+R

Drive Type = DVD+R/+RW
     Disc Type = DVD+R                
  Manufacturer = Unknown(052400 INVALID FIELD IN CDB)

Smart-Burn Speed Limit = Wrt(2.4X),Rd(6.0X)

Questions:

• Why do the CD burning programs keep asking me to insert a CD-R when I’ve already got one in there?
  • Why do the DVD media querying utilities not show any significant details about the DVD+R media in there?
  • what’s this deal about the invalid field in CDB?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Amin:confused: :confused:

For your CD-R problem; try installing Nero Burning ROM, or updating the programs that you’re using now. You should also try using another brand of media.

Unfortunately, The LDW-401S is not yet able to recognize the manufacturer of a blank disc. This will surely be added in a future firmware upgrade though. If you burn one of those DVD+R discs, then the programs that you mentioned will be able to see the manufacturer. The error, “Invalid Field in CDB” means that the SmartBurn tool was sending a command that the LDW-401S didn’t recognize, meaning that the drive cannot read the manufacturer of your blank discs.