Help On DVD Writer Choice & IDE Cabling?

Hey,

Ive decided to start again… Im going to buy another DVD burner and a new IDE cable.

I could do with your advice… Can you please tell me which drive & IDE cable will give me best reliablilty and performance (off the following pages) you would reccomend me buy ? (as i can quickly nip down to the shop now and get it ?)

Kinda important that its a DL drive. Cant say im too bothered about it being a DVD RAM drive tho.

DVD Writers:

http://www.cclonline.com/product-ca tegories.asp?category_id=121

IDE Cables :

http://www.cclonline.com/product-ca tegories.asp?category_id=177

Cheers

CJ

IDE cable… I’d go with flat rather than round, as the electrical properties of the round cables can be rather uncertain, and not too much longer than needed.

Drives - eek!
I’d be surprised if any drive in that list is not DL
I’d rule out ones that don’t get a lot of attention here, or ones that rack up a lot of bad points in the attention they do get, but I really wouldn’t want to call it, guess if I had to make a snap choice now, I’d be inclined to plump for one of the pioneer 111 drives (though I’d rather wait for the 112), or maybe a Liteon with 20X speed (not for the speed, but just to be current and with firmware/media code updates for some time). Actually, that seems to be a negative for Pioneer, they seem to be pretty slack in media code support, and pretty sharp in retiring old models from updating.

Hi :slight_smile:
Welcome to the forum Cjc1706. :iagree: :clap:

Of the the listed the Pioneer 111, then the Samsung 182.

Lite-On’s are getting better + a lot of support here @ cdf. LH-201AP for instance.

On the cable front unless needed for airflow. The difference between the cables listed are looks & price. A good ribbon IDE cable costs around £2 to £3. A round cable of any significant improvement should cost 3 to 4 times that minimum. A lot of costly round cables are all show & no go.

Pick any one from three for a drive. Plus a decent ribbon IDE (80 wire). The Pioneer prefers to be set as Master, whereas the other two are not so fussy.