Help on crossflashing : DH-16A1P >>> LH-16A1P

Hello and Happy New Year to all !

I was looking if I can upgrade the firmware for my DVD Burner showed in the system as a PBDS DH-16A1P.

It was very difficult to find any informations about this burner, then I found this post by Pernal : DH-16A1P ? (Info Please!).

So I guess that I can try me too to crossflash my burner with a LiteOn LH-16A1P firmware (and then maybe flash an enhanced firmware :slight_smile: ).

I already saved my actual firmware as a raw file with Flash Utility.

My question is : can I now just crossflash the LH-16A1P firmware (over the DH-16A1P one) with Flash Utility, or do I have to use another specific tool or procedure ?

Thanks in advance for any help or advices !

Fulgence.

No advanced method; just use the Flash Utility. :slight_smile:

Ok, I flashed the firmware, and everything is working great :cool:

Thanks !

Fulgence.

Another tip for you, you can flash it to a 20A1P/20A4P by changing the drive model with EEPROM Utility :wink:

Ah, thank you for the tip Skylon !

As I’m just a ‘casual DVD maniac’ I think I will keep the burner as a LH-16A1P for the moment.

I can now burn DVD+R discs at 16x speed (wich was not possible with the DH-16A1P for some reasons) so it’s a nice improvement :slight_smile:

Fulgence.

You are welcome. If you haven’t backup your EEPROM, you should back up it by now, you might need it someday.

[QUOTE=Skylon;1966982]Another tip for you, you can flash it to a 20A1P/20A4P by changing the drive model with EEPROM Utility ;)[/QUOTE]

I can’t get this to work. I’ve used the eeprom util, followed the instructions but no discs are recognised. The drive shows up as a LH-20A1P but won’t work. I rebooted, by the way. I’ve flashed back now to LH-16A1P. I’m using Vista if that matters.

Three questions:

are there any compelling reasons to flash to 20A1/4?
Which one is better?
Why won’t it work for me?

Thanks.

[QUOTE=simonh;2018330]I can’t get this to work. I’ve used the eeprom util, followed the instructions but no discs are recognised. The drive shows up as a LH-20A1P but won’t work. I rebooted, by the way. I’ve flashed back now to LH-16A1P. I’m using Vista if that matters.

Three questions:

are there any compelling reasons to flash to 20A1/4?
Which one is better?
Why won’t it work for me?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

1. compelling no, just for fun
  2. it depends on your drive and usage
  3. you didn’t use the Flash Utility maybe

Thanks for reply Cressida. My drive was a DH-16A1P, flashed to LH-16A1P. I tried the eeprom and flash software to upgrade to LH-20A1P. Couldn’t get either to recognise any discs.

first image: drive as it is now
second image: eeprom crossflash options
third image: enhanced firmware from c0deking

Is the easiest thing to just flash one of the firmwares from the third image? I think I tried that, but can try again.

It’s best you select “20A1P/S + DW2000” (H/L is for LightScribe models, which you don’t have). After setting that, use the Flash Utility with LH-20A1P KL0N firmware from Codeguys. LH-20A4P I wouldn’t recommend until you know (very well) how your drive behaves as a 20A1P.

Thanks again Cressida. Done successfully now.

You’re welcome.

Here is a test burn: anyone know how to make cdspeed show 20x on the graph?

file > options > transer rate > then go to maximus speed and make it 20, click ok and you are good to go.

thanks vroom.

I’ve done a couple of test burns with some cheap, old discs. If you look at the first image, which is from the thread about c0dekings enhanced firmware, you’ll notice that my burns are quite different from that one. Mine are a lot more ‘spiky’. Is this normal. The quality scans don’t look bad for saying the discs are not exactly cdfreaks recommended.

The “spikes” are OHT (Online HyperTuning) cycles where the drive tries to fine-tune the laser and servo settings to the disc properties. So are you using the “stock” or “EOHT” version of KL0N?

That’s most definitely the EOHT version. :iagree:

Yep, I flashed with this one:

20A1P.KL0N.patched-fb-eos-eoht.exe

I was a bit shocked to find about 12 different versions!

Would this one be considered safer:

20A1P.KL0N.patched-fb-eos.exe

Or to put it another way, do I need EOHT? I don’t plan on burning 8x discs at more than 12x.

Edit: I’ve only got about 120 TYG02’s left…

I tried with the firmware without EOHT. It looked as though it was going to be a magnificent burn. You can see for yourselves what happened then. As a double check, I scanned with my S203D. Just running another test now with the memorex.

1st image: datawrite 8x burnt @ 12x
2nd: Liteon scan
3rd: Samsung scan

Ouch! That looks like the drive was using OLD HyperTuning information from the EOHT firmware, which didn’t go over so well with the stock pattern. Try clearing the OPC [or, with EEPROM Utility, reset HyperTuning and learned discs], and try burning again.

You might want to go back to EOHT if the first burn after clearing the old learned data isn’t good, as it might give you a better quality. Everything else [FB, FBL, EOS] is up to your preference. :wink: