Help on buying a laptop that is able to be upgraded

vbimport

i am looking to buy a new laptop but i am not sure what is a good starter laptop, i mean one that has a desalinated place for video card and good battery life i want to spend about 500.00 us to buy one that i can add stuff to it to end up with a good gaming rig.later on but will at least run some games and do video processing right now ant thoughts as to what i should be looking for and the other thought is should i wait for some new stuff coming out , i never bought a laptop so this is new to me

[QUOTE=spboyd1;2641706]i am looking to buy a new laptop but i am not sure what is a good starter laptop, i mean one that has a desalinated place for video card and good battery life i want to spend about 500.00 us to buy one that i can add stuff to it to end up with a good gaming rig.[/QUOTE]

Laptops are very limited when it comes to upgrades, and in my opinion not a good Gaming Machine. Your budget is low even for a Desktop Rig. Laptops are good portable computers, but not very durable or upgradeable. So spend your money on a good Gaming Desktop you can build up on your own. :cool:

yes you need about 1k to 2k for a laptop/notebook to fit your need. Forget about upgrades later you are looking at a lot more to spend. Get a good desktop starter going and build from there.

[QUOTE=spboyd1;2641706]i am looking to buy a new laptop but i am not sure what is a good starter laptop, i mean one that has a desalinated place for video card and good battery life i want to spend about 500.00 us to buy one that i can add stuff to it to end up with a good gaming rig.later on but will at least run some games and do video processing right now ant thoughts as to what i should be looking for and the other thought is should i wait for some new stuff coming out , i never bought a laptop so this is new to me[/QUOTE]

As others have said the price you spending is only good for a productive laptop not a gaming laptop. Those will have a steeper price even for used so if you really want a gaming laptop your going to have to spend at least somewhere upwards to 2K for a good gaming rig laptop. 1k will be the starting point for gaming laptop but that will not guarantee you will get a top of the line competition rig. Also your gaming rig will cost you weight portability as well and short battery life and will need constant pluggin if you want to game on it. If you want good battery gaming laptop is the wrong one to go for. Go to your nearest BestBuy or Walmart and test and work with computers to get yourself to know what kinda laptop you really need and what your expecting to look for before deciding to buy a laptop.

AVA Direct makes custom laptops. Anandtech refers to them often and they are flexible for upgrades.