Help on burning audio CD

G’day all,

I’d just like to ask a few questions to improve the burning method of my audio CDs. I use Burrrn as I find it really simple and user-friendly as compared to Nero Burning ROM. I use CD-R and burn at a speed of 8x - 12x.

Now my questions:

1. Do I have to decode my flac files to wav before burning them with Burrrn?

2. What is the ideal speed for best quality and compatibility for the following CD: Maxell Master Quality CD-R made by Ritek

3. The CD mentioned has the following details as according to Nero BurningROM:

[ul]
[li]C1 Errors: 0[/li][li]C2 Errors: Max 31, Average: 0.03[/li][li]Total: 120[/li][li]Jitter: 0[/li][/ul]So what do these details mean??
4. After burning, I play the CD-R in my car CD player. It accepts it the the first 2 times I insert it. At 3rd try it ejects it saying there is a disc error. Then I re-insert the same CD, 1st try works, 2nd try works, 3rd try fails :confused: It’s like a sequence??
5. The playback volume is quite low, I have to crank up the volume a bit more than usual. I used to burn mp3 files when I was a noob and didn’t know about flac and wav, they played with decent sound volume.

Thanks in advance

Hi,[QUOTE=commodore_93;2573246]
(…)

1. Do I have to decode my flac files to wav before burning them with Burrrn?[/quote]As far as I know, Burrrn does the decoding job automagically. If it doesn’t, you should get an error message about unsupported format or similar.
  1. What is the ideal speed for best quality and compatibility for the following CD: Maxell Master Quality CD-R made by Ritek

General rule of thumb: something betweeen 8x and 24x. Depends on the drive used.

1. The CD mentioned has the following details as according to Nero BurningROM:

[ul]
[li]C1 Errors: 0[/li]> [li]C2 Errors: Max 31, Average: 0.03[/li]> [li]Total: 120[/li]> [li]Jitter: 0[/li]> [/ul]So what do these details mean??

I suspect your drive is useless as scanner. In case you have used an LG drive: some are able to report C2 errors. And if that were true, then your disc is poor. A good disc should have zero C2 errors.
Could you please provide a screenshot of that scan? For instructions, please see my sig.

1. After burning, I play the CD-R in my car CD player. It accepts it the the first 2 times I insert it. At 3rd try it ejects it saying there is a disc error.
    Readability issues. Yes, that means you created poor discs. I’d blame the writer here.

Michael

I’ll upload the screenshots as soon as I can. I have Nero CD-DVD Speed, will upload those as stated in the link in your signature.

Hi, sorry for the delay. Please see the attached pictures. What I find strange is that when I burned the empty CD on create disc in Nero the error rates showed up in the disc quality check.

After using Burrrn on another identical CD for my music files, CD had no errors, as you’ll see in the attachments.

If you need, I can burn a new empty CD on Nero to show you those errors (lost the old cd), Why is burning on Nero and Burrrn making this difference in error rates??

Okay. At first, your drive is not suited for quality scanning (perhaps it can reveal severe errors).
Also, you have to keep in mind that a nice scan does not necessarily mean your disc can be handled well with (picky) players.

Michael

Also if you rescan the same CD multiple times you’ll probably see the results vary :frowning:

To actually test this correctly you need to buy a drive that correctly reports C2 errors etc. Personally I love Plextors but there are many others just as good (ask in Hardware forums).