Help - No Sound!

Hi
Can anyone help a newbie please…

I have backed-up my DVDs using DVD FAB - the folders created sit on my NAS, connected to my router (Netgear Rangemax n).
When I try and play back the DVDs on my laptop (brand new Sony Vaio running Vista) - I get perfect video but no sound at all - when using Windows Media Player Classic which I was told to download…

Could this be a streaming/bandwidth problem or am I doing something else wrong. The version of Power DVD that cam with the laptop (OEM) will NOT allow me to play video files from the hard disk - only from a DVD drive…

Please can anyone help - I tried downloading VLC yesterday, but that just seemed unable to play video or audio!! I have tried the files on a Netgear Media Extender (EVA800) - and they play and sound fine on that - but not on the laptop…my wirelss strength is super strong (the laptop has a n-wireless card)

I can’t believe VLC would not work, it has never failed me. Sounds like you need either a directshow filter or codec pack for WMP or WinDVD, which has the ‘Play DVD from folder’ option (can’t believe PowerDVD doesn’t). There could not be a less adroit DVD player then WMP.

could it be bandwidth do you think =- streaming from the NAS wirelessly to the laptop??