Help Networking an XP Desktop with a 98 Laptop

vbimport

Situation:
XP Desktop -
IP: 192.168.1.50 255.255.255.0 (Static)

98SE Laptop -
IP: 192.168.1.100 255.255.255.0 (Dynamic)

Workgroup: WORKGROUP
98SE has File and Print Sharing turned on.
No firewalls.
Both PC’s have shared directories.
Connected via crossover cable into ADSL router with 4 port switch (Billion 5100).

Problem:
Neither PC can see the other in Network places, Laptop can see itself, Desktop cannot see itself, can ping laptop from desktop, cannot ping desktop from laptop.

Hair pulling imminent.

Thanks for any help.

Edit:

Both pc’s can browse the net and download perfectly.

Did you create a user in XP, log in once to activate the account, and have guest accont turned on?
Did you enable sharing permissions as well as security permissions on the XP machine?
Have you tried this via IP addresses or Computer Names as well? You will need NetBEUI on win98 if you do.
What Router? Why not set a static IP for each?

Will do this.

Err, I dont follow.

Did you enable sharing permissions as well as security permissions on the XP machine?

Computer names, and IP addresses.

Have you tried this via IP addresses or Computer Names as well? You will need NetBEUI on win98 if you do.

No my laptp, friends so its easier to leave it dynamic.

What Router? Why not set a static IP for each?

Try adding a user, make it the name used to Log into the Win98 machine, (Right click my computer -> manage) and after creating the account, log into it one time. Then log in normally again. Also set a blank password for guest account and leave it enabled.

By chance are you using XP Home???
That would definitely be a huge disadvantage.
Also try making the Network disk (Start->settings->control panel->network connections->click make a new connection)

Done that, will re-boot both machines and see how it goes.

No, Im using XP Professional, and I had already used the Network disk.

By chance are you using XP Home???
That would definitely be a huge disadvantage.
Also try making the Network disk (Start->settings->control panel->network connections->click make a new connection)

Still cannot understand why the Laptop cannot ping the Desktop though…

ok, best of luck, hope ya can ping!!!

do let us know of any success

Unfortunatly, he had to go home, and took the laptop with him…

So at the moment, the problem is still unresolved, but thanks for all your help. It is greatly appreciated. :wink: