HELP! Nero / PC - How do I make a CD readable in Unix?

I have Nero as my burning app on a WinXP system. I have a need to burn CDs that are readable (ideally) in both an Intel and Unix environment. I’m not so much worried about the actual content. The content is made up of files that should be readable in either environment - text files, htm, pdf. It’s the identification of the disk as valid in Unix that I’m more concerned with.

How would one set up a CD burn on a PC using Nero so that I get a disk that is readable in Unix? I’d like to also do it so that it keeps the existing directory structure and filenames (as closely as possible).

All UNIX dialects I’ve come across that support CD-ROM drives support the ISO9660 filesystem - so you should use ISO9660.

Be aware that anything specific to Joliet, like long file names and the ability to use lower case in file names, may not show in UNIX - you may just see the underlying ISO9660 file name.

The best thing to do is use the CD-ROM (ISO) option - then having made one disc, research the correct syntax to mount that CD in UNIX (probably some version of the mount command). You can then see what your UNIX is capable of seeing.

David

How would one set up a CD burn on a PC using Nero so that I get a disk that is readable in Unix? I’d like to also do it so that it keeps the existing directory structure and filenames (as closely as possible).

I believe that many Unix systems support the Rock Ridge extensions which support long file names. You need a CD burning program that supports the Rock Ridge filesystem. I use Nero 5.5 which does not.

I’ve been using mkisofs which is a Unix command line application to make ISO image files with Rock Ridge filesystems. It works under Windows with the cygwin support library (a single DLL file). You can then burn the ISO file with any burner that can burn CD images, Nero 5.5 can do this.

As a starter here is a typical command line using mkisofs

mkisofs -J -r -V ubcd21_ac2 -o ./ubcd21-ac2.iso .

-J is for a Joliet filesystem
-r is for a Rock Ridge filesystem
-V is for the Volume label
-o is for the output file
the final parameter (. in this case) is the source directory

if you do not need to support long file names, I’d opt straight ISO9660 for playable both os’s. Nero supports it without additional tweaks…:slight_smile:

Thanks to all. Sorry for the late reply but I was out o’ town on business.