Help needed

vbimport

Hi, I'm having trouble backing up my new copy of GTA 3 which I believe is Safedisk 2 protected. I'm using Clone CD 4 on Win XP and a cyberdrive 32x 12x 48x. The problem I'm having is that the copy works fine if I use a CDRW but not with a normal CDR (Get the old 'send/ don't send error report' message). Is this normal? Is there a particular type of CDR that works best or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Nilpferd

Originally posted by nilpferd
[B]Hi, I’m having trouble backing up my new copy of GTA 3 which I believe is Safedisk 2 protected. I’m using Clone CD 4 on Win XP and a cyberdrive 32x 12x 48x. The problem I’m having is that the copy works fine if I use a CDRW but not with a normal CDR (Get the old ‘send/ don’t send error report’ message). Is this normal? Is there a particular type of CDR that works best or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Nilpferd [/B]
Well it seems like a media problem to me. There’s no other reason why it would work with your cdrw and not with cdr. Try using different quality media

You can also read this :wink:

Thanks for the reply!
A problem with the media was all I could think of too…just seemed a little strange cos I tried 2 different CDRWs (both worked ok) and several attempts on 2 different CDRs (all failed).
I thought I’d ask for help at that point before I had to set up a stall selling coasters :wink:

Anyone got any suggestions of ‘good’ CDR media?

TDKs and Verbatims have always worked fine for me … but i guess it also depends on your burner.

You can also try the media forum too for more info :wink:

Still stuck! I’ve now tried about 7 CDRs and 3 CDRWs and the copies still only work on the CDRWs…?

Maybe it’s a ATIP thingy… I know that on one of my two CDRW’s, I can’t find any ATIP info…
But I doubt that.

Did you do something differently, like reading the CD-R in writer and RW in reader, cause I really can’t see any cause why it is like this…

What brands did you use BTW?

Hello,

The pc only has the CDRW drive so I used that to read the image. I’ve also tried the ‘hide cd media’ option but with no success…interestingly, the copies on CDRW disks work ok without that option?
Can’t remember all the brands of media but definitely used both verbatim CDRW and the cyberdrive CDRW disk (came free with drive) which work ok and Phillips, Imation and a couple of others (including some ‘no name’ ones) none of which work. They get as far as the Rockstar logo then I get the windows XP send error report thingy…?

…They get as far as the Rockstar logo then I get the windows XP send error report thingy…?

Since you do not get any error like “insert the correct cd” or “cd can’t be found”, maybe you should consider that whatever the error is it is not caused by the game protection …
Getting a windows error could be caused by your vga card. Try updating the drivers for your card (to one that is signed by windows - xp are known to be picky with non-signed drivers). Getting the latest windows updates could help also…

Then again, it is strange that you don’t get any error when using the cdrw. You could try the cdr back-ups you have made on another pc and see if they work there. :wink:

Hi,

As far as I can see, it can’t be a problem with the PC itself since as you say, CDRW backups work as do the originals (I actually own the game! :slight_smile: ) Searching the forums, I’ve also come across other people having the problem of the game locking up at the rockstar logo.
I’ll do as you suggest and try out the copies (both CDRW and failed CDRs ) on another PC tonight…strange though isnt it?:confused:

I also tried using betablocker on the image last night and this failed too but I left ‘amplify weak sectors’ selected when writing and I gather this is incorrect when using betablocker?

Thanks for the replies!

yaya, do NOT AWS a betablocker patched image…its bad karma, and they both serve the same function

Hi,

Tried the ‘failed’ copies in my older pc last night nad amazingly they work fine! Both in the pioneer dvd rom drive and also in the yamaha CDRW drive (with hide cd media selected).

The cyberdrive CD writer on which the disks were written still refuses to read anything other than re-writable disks, with or without hide cd media checked…

Wish I’d tried that earlier cos I had a bin full of ok copies…all disk 2!!! DOH!

Originally posted by nilpferd
… The cyberdrive CD writer on which the disks were written still refuses to read anything other than re-writable disks, with or without hide cd media checked…
Still the fact that the backups don’t work on the cdrw is strange! :confused:
It is customary for non-efm capable cdrws to produce copies that only work on the cdrw and not in other drives (dvds-cdroms) and not the other way around.

I still think that the problem is not in the protection, and the fact that the copies work on your old pc kind of proves it… Maybe your cdrw doesn’t like the media you used, while the other drives do, or maybe there is something wrong with your configuration. You could put the cdrw in your old pc and try again to see if it reads the cds. If it still doesn’t read it, then it clearly must be a media incompatability issue. If it does (which i don’t think so), you should check the configuration on your new pc :wink:

Hello again!

I could try that - bit of a hassle though…the new PC is actually one I built for my girlfriend and is at her house whereas the other pc is still at mine…also, might get moaned at for dismantling her PC again! :wink:

As an aside, whatever the problem is it seems to be whatever happens just after the rockstar logo is displayed. If I start the game with disk one in the drive (either original or copy on CDRW) then it gets past the logo no problem and asks me to insert disk 2. At this point I can the insert a copy of disk 2 (CDR) and the game loads correctly…

I did build another PC for my sister with the same sort of CDRW drive but different motherboard…could perhaps try one of the copies on that one just to see what happens…

…I did build another PC for my sister with the same sort of CDRW drive but different motherboard…could perhaps try one of the copies on that one just to see what happens…
Assuming there is nothing wrong with your drive, this should do the job also.
So if the copies don’t work on that drive either - there you have it, it should be cauzed by the media. If the backups do work, then you might have a problem :wink: