HELP needed

Good afternoon all

I am trying to purchase a new computer for home use and maybe a little game playing, however my budget can only stretch to £400 (everyting included).
Can anyone give me some advice (very new to all of this)
I live in the UK so can only purchase from sites in this country, here are a few I have seen but they mean very little to me.

Any help at all would be much appreciated. :bow:

Welcome to CDFreaks!

I think you should pick the AMD one, the second on the page /http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/pcrange.html?ICP <<< X2 4400 it’s £327.82 including VAT/. It has 2gb of memory which is good /also it’s dual channel so it should also be fast/. Has a quite good VGA /only it’s integrated, but still okay/ a 16x DVD burner, I believe enough HDD for the start a DVD burner if you run out of space and want to make some and audio card for music /5.1 channel audio is good for movies too/.

The intels really ain’t good, that AMD should overdo them /except the E6420 but that’s £410.07 including VAT so I guess you could not afford that one/. Whith that you should be able to play games and do other stuff too. I’ve read after the integrated VGA too and that seemed good too, it supports SM 3 so it will be usefull for games.

Also I’ve been thinking that you could just build your own.

Like one like this /This one is intel/:

Motherboard: MSI P35 NEO-F Intel P35 Socket 775 PCI-E DDR2 SATA II £61.10
Memory:Corsair Value Select 2GB PC2 667MHz Non-ECC 240Pin CL4 £63.45
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2 x 2.33Ghz 4Mb Cache 1333 FSB Dual Core £116.33
Case: Jeantech Titan Midi ATX case, Front USB/Audio/Mic, NO PSU £21.98
PSU: JEANTECH 450W PSU with 120mm LED Fan - mirror finish £28.78
DVDRW: LITEON 20x DVDRW / RAM Black Bare With Nero 7 Essentials £17.61
VGA: Novatech GeForce 8500GT SLI 256MB DDR2 PCI-E £49.35
HDD:Maxtor DiamondMax 21 SATAII 250GB 8Mb Cache Hard Disk Drive £36.24
SUM: £394.84

Things can be changed though. Like if you like it that way you can buy the other case too that has a PSU from the start.

This one: Novatech Panacea 400Watt ATX PC Tower Case £26.44 then the full price would be £366.06.

Also this way you caould get a bigger HDD if you want to and that would only make the final price only £9.22 more. I’ve picked the other case 'cause they’ve said this one is small, just about enough and the other one is bigger. Also with the bigger case and bigger HDD it was over £400.

And here’s an AMD one /stronger then the previous Intel one/:

Motherboard: MSI K9N SLI 2-F Socket AM2 nForce 570 SLI SATAII Raid GB LAN £52.88
Corsair Value Select 2048Mb (2x1GB) Kit 667MHz 240Pin 2GB DDR2 RAM DIMM 1.8V £52.88
CPU: Retail Boxed AMD X2 Dual Core AM2 Athlon 64 6000 3.0GHz 2x1MB Socket AM2 £108.10
Case: Jeantech Titan Midi ATX case, Front USB/Audio/Mic, NO PSU £21.98
PSU: JEANTECH 450W PSU with 120mm LED Fan - mirror finish £28.78
DVDRW: LITEON 20x DVDRW / RAM Black Bare With Nero 7 Essentials £17.61
VGA: Novatech GeForce 8500GT SLI 256MB DDR2 PCI-E £49.35
HDD:Maxtor DiamondMax 21 SATAII 250GB 8Mb Cache Hard Disk Drive £36.24
SUM: £367.82

Basicly I’ve changed the motherboard the CPU and the memory and kept everything else. I’ve kept the more expensive case and the PSU for it so it can be lowered in price /with the smaller case it would be £343.5/. And in this case too it would only be £9.22 more to have a 320GB HDD in it.

I didn’t count CPU cooler 'cause they /IntelAMD/ are boxed versions. I’ve never had AMD and don’t remember if sis’s CPU had a cooler from the start or not but mine did so I1ve decided if Intel adds own cooler for a Boxed CPU then probably AMD does too. I’m sure someony will be able to clear that up for both of us.

I know for sure people usually buy another CPU cooler then the original that came with it. But mine works fine with the original so I’ve thought you could spend less if you just kept the originals /also I belive they would give you the originals if you buy a full spec from them/

I don not know if you need keyboard and mouse and mouse pad so I didn’t count those. But if you need them I’ll recalculate the specs for you so that those will fit in too /actually it should fit in the AMD price anyways but not in the Intel unless you pick the smaller case./ Also since the examples you picked had no TFT panel in the price i didn’t count either.

PS: prices include VAT everywhere.

Thank you for your response, the website I put on (being novatech) was a bit of a con, after I clicked to buy the PC you kindly recommended it turns out I have to then buy the remaining software i.e. windows. I have furthered my research and have seen you can build your own computer on dell, is this worth it. Sorry to post again I have been pulling me hair out!!!

Well. Dell doesn’t look so bad either. But on the other site I was counting in £ and now it $. Then how much is your budget now in $? $ 810?

Welcome to CDF :smiley:

Me and my mum just picked up a couple of refurbished Dells from SVP (I needed a second PC, and my mum was replacing her elderly Celeron).

£320 each, I can provide links and specs of the two we’ve got (basic specs are listed, but manufacturers of drives etc will vary) if you’re interested.

In fact mine seems to have become my primary PC, completely by accident. :o…if you’re worried about the refurb part, what I can tell you is this: mine’s been stressed about as much as it possibly can be (running Folding@Home whenever the PC’s on, sometimes for days and nights straight). And SVP’s returns policy and customer service is out of this world should you have a problem.

No monitor included, but Windows Vista Home Premium comes with them.