Help needed with usb2 drivers

Hi!
I have just bought a external usb hard drive for my wife’s computer but the usb hub is showing as not high speed, no probs I thought just run my sp2 update disc on it and all will be well, no such luck for some reason the sp2 install crashes half way through. Is there any way I can just install the usb2 drivers and if so where can I get them.
Many Thanks

Do you know if the computer has USB2-capable hardware?

I am pretty sure it has it is quite a late fast motherboard

Can you download Belarc Advisor, run it and see whether you get at least one ‘Enhanced’ root hub showing as in this previous post.

This is the result???

Operating System System Model
Windows XP Professional (build 2600) MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD KM266-8235
Enclosure Type: Desktop
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
1.67 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-6738
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 03/18/2003
Drives Memory Modules c,d
90.28 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
67.50 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

_NEC DVD_RW ND-3520AW [CD-ROM drive]
LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-811S [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

SAMSUNG SP0812N [Hard drive] (80.06 GB) – drive 0, s/n S00MJ10Y105356, rev TK100-30, SMART Status: Healthy
ST310212A [Hard drive] (10.24 GB) – drive 1, s/n 7EG17LVQ, rev 3.02, SMART Status: Healthy 512 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot ‘A0’ has 256 MB
Slot ‘A1’ has 256 MB
Slot ‘A2’ is Empty
Slot ‘A3’ is Empty
Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 21.57 GB 17.58 GB free
d: (NTFS on drive 0) 58.49 GB 41.97 GB free
e: (FAT32 on drive 1) 10.22 GB 7.96 GB free

Network Drives
None detected
Users (mouse over user name for details) Printers
local user accounts last logon
Joan 05/08/2006 07:39:47 (admin)
local system accounts
Administrator never (admin)
Guest never
HelpAssistant never
SUPPORT_388945a0 never

Marks a disabled account; Marks a locked account EPSON Stylus C64 Series on USB001

Controllers Display
Standard floppy disk controller
Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]
VIA Bus Master IDE Controller NVIDIA GeForce2 DDR [Display adapter]
NUL 17.1 [Monitor] (17.1"vis, August 2002)
Bus Adapters Multimedia
VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller (3x) CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device
Standard Game Port
Communications Other Devices

Belkin 54Mbps Wireless USB Network Adapter #2
primary Auto IP Address: 10.10.0.1 / 16
Gateway: 10.10.221.56
Dhcp Server: 10.10.221.56
Physical Address: 00:11:50:6B:7F:69
VIA Compatable Fast Ethernet Adapter

Networking Dns Server: 10.11.12.13
Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Microsoft USB IntelliMouse Web
Generic USB Hub
USB Printing Support
USB Root Hub (3x)
Virus Protection [Back to Top]
Norton AntiVirus Version 11.00
Virus Definitions Version 03/08/2006 Rev 48
Last Disk Scan on 13 January 2006 20:33:18
Realtime File Scanning On

OK the info is all mixed up but I see you have an Open host controller installed. Nothing about ‘Enhanced’ as in the Belarc report?

Yes, VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller (3x)

OK well that MicroStar board appears to have USB2 (as you thought). I’m thinking that the BIOS is a little old though (2003).

Are you using an external USB hub of any kind?

No just into a usb socket everything works ok just warns me that I am plugging a high speed device into a slow usb port, on my computer this prob was solved installing the sp2 update disc but as I said for some reason this is crashing on my wifes computer.

I have just found some Via usb2 drivers on the net I will try installing them to see if it works, (don’t panic I have done a ghost!)

If your motherboard has USB2 on board and your bios is ok, as you’ve XP you should need no futher drivers - the O/S should provide you everything.
In the past and for other devices, USB2 drivers supplied by manufacturers used to be for older O/Ss (as Win98, for instance).
So, I think you should look at the external drive’s box/enclosure sprecifications and compatibility (look at makers site if there is a driver or need for driver for the IDE or SATA controller’s adapter).

or that the hub is usb2?
I’ve seen cases where the Mobo/card is USB2, but the USB hub on the front of the case, is USB1.
And many cheap chinese USB2 hubs don’t work well at USB2 speed, so drop back to USB1 speed.

I give up!!!
I can’t update from microsoft (installs fail) can’t install sp2 (crashes half way through) can’t install Via usb2 drivers (tells me I need at least service pack 1) can’t update from microsoft (installs fail) ect. ect. round and round
Enough is enough!!!

Are you trying to install SP2 through Windows Update? If that’s what’s not working, you can get the update direct at: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&DisplayLang=en

Sounds like you haev some bad VIA drivers.
Try downloading the latest generic driver pack from via arena.

I’d personally [B]slipstream[/B] a copy of the WINXP SP2 redistributable with your current Windows XP install Disc (to a new WinXP disc of course) and then install->repair your current OS.

Might fix a few issues.

Either that, or a clean install (with your SP2 slipstreamed CD).

This is a bit deep for me what is “slipstream” an how do I do it???

download the sp2 from the link agent gave you, hope you have broadband

boot into safe mode and try the install from there

never thought to try from safe mode, will try that later on today (when she gets off of the computer) LOL

Howto: Slipstream WindowsXP and SP2

No go, tied to install sp2 cd in safe mode and still crashes half way through installing files with message can’t install, thanks for the slipstream info will have a try at that!