Help Needed With DVD Rom

I have a JLMS LTD-166S Drive and i am having problems watching DVD Movies. When i play the DVD The DVD Movie pauses and after a couple of mintues the DVD Movie decides to play again, and after a couple of seconds it stops. After that my computer decides to crash. So i have to restart my computer.

After reading a few websites and a few forum posts i upgrade my flash to JLMS XJ-HD166S, thinking that would sort out the problems but to mu dismay, it dosent, what should i do?

(DVD Software Used)
: Leadtek WinFastDVD
: DirectDVD 5.0 ES Edition
: Windows Media Player 9
: InterActual Player

(DVD Used)

: 8 Mile
: The Fast and the Furious
: Up in Smoke Tour

CPU: Pentium 4 2.53 @ 2.92
Memory: 512 DDR 2700(333MHz)
Graphics: Geforce 4 Ti 4200 AGP8X @ 290/549 @AGPX8
Motherboard: Abit IC7 With AGP8X
Hard Drive: Seagate 40 GB HDD
Monitor: 15’ Fujitsu Monitor
Sound: Sound Blaster Audigy
Speaker: Creative 2.1
3DMark2001se (build 330) : 12896
3DMark03 (build 330): 1651

Originally posted by Y2Stu
(DVD Software Used)
: Leadtek WinFastDVD
: DirectDVD 5.0 ES Edition
: Windows Media Player 9
: InterActual Player

AFAIK, the only true DVD Player of those four is the Leadtek WinFastDVD, I assume that it is a clone of Intervideo’s WinDVD…

Download a trial version of PowerDVD and see if it works any better.

I have a Full Version of it, i got it free with some hardware i bought. I installed It, Upgraded it to the latest version and still no luck, stick pauses, then crashes!

Anything else that people could think off

Why don’t you try Cyberlink Power DVD bundled with the DVD drive ?

still getting pauses and crashes on what ever program i use

Have you tried replacing the IDE able or putting the drive on a different position eg. cable select, secondry master

way ahead of ya there rocky, just changed the ide cable so its on secondary master, so it anit on with my hard drive and still no luck, could it be to do with caching or something like that, or should i format and see what happens.

It reads CD ok, just DVD it don’t like!

I take it you already have the most current Intel IDE drivers or the application accelerator.

Have you tried removing the drive from the device manager and rebooting and let winxp reinstall the drive ??

Even with the MS IDE drivers, watching DVD should not be any problem at all.

Did you turn on DMA for the DVD drive? When DMA isn’t turned on (the drive will be running in PIO mode) he system can’t take the load and won’t play any DVD without skipping etc…

Did you turn on DMA for the DVD drive? When DMA isn’t turned on (the drive will be running in PIO mode) he system can’t take the load and won’t play any DVD without skipping etc…

how do i turn DMA on for the DVD, the DMA is on for the hard drives!

XP/Win2K or Win9x?

XP

and there all on like that, still stutters!, there isn’t anything in bios is there?

Originally posted by dhc014
[B]

AFAIK, the only true DVD Player of those four is the Leadtek WinFastDVD, I assume that it is a clone of Intervideo’s WinDVD…

Download a trial version of PowerDVD and see if it works any better. [/B]

I think InterActual is also a “true” DVD player.

@Y2Stu: Have you tried the DVD drive on its own IDE channel?

yes i have

Originally posted by Chriso
[B]

I think InterActual is also a “true” DVD player.

@Y2Stu: Have you tried the DVD drive on its own IDE channel? [/B]

No, it’s not.

Ah, I stand corrected. The reason I thought it was is that they bundle that player on quite a few DVD’s.

still have the problem!

It’s chipset drivers or DMA.

Install the latest drivers, or, in the case of VIA, try all the available Hyperions and 4in1s on the VIA site.

Make sure you use an 80 conductor/40 pin IDE cable on ATA66+ drives.

Hate to break it to you, but this could be the problem too.

Flash your mobo BIOS to the latest version if you have to.

Have you tried using another DVDROM?

BTW, you didn’t install every single update from MS for WinXP right?

>BTW, you didn’t install every single update
>from MS for WinXP right?

According to Woody’s Watch, the security blunders and poor patches are fixed. I installed the remaining critical updates last week and I have NP at all. I wouldn’t touch the recommended updates though…