Help needed with DVD conversion, please

Hello and thank you for your welcome to the forum. I am very new at forums and trust that I behave properly.

Can anyone give me advice on how to create a DVD which will be work in the U.S. and Brazil. I think the format is NTSC. My son is endeavouring to get a small business up and running in Melbourne, Australia and needs to send instructional videos overseas to support his product. He has filmed the sequences and has made DVDs in the PAL format, but this format apparently will not work overseas. We are using Nero and Power Cinema as burning and recording programs.

Is there anyone in the forum who can give us some advice. Thank you
NannaM:flower:

The simplest solution might be using TMPGenc Author 3, since it includes an mpeg encoder and will allow you to select either NTSC or PAL output. I haven’t used it for this type of conversion though, so you might want to download the free trial and see if it will work properly.

Personally, I would reencode with Procoder then reauthor with DVDLab Pro. But at current prices, that is about US $800 worth of software. Procoder has a pretty good reputation for reencoding PAL to NTSC, but there is no trial available for the latest version of Procoder.

And here is a list of guides over at videohelp.com for conversions using several different tools. Some, like CCE, are extremely expensive.
http://www.videohelp.com/guides?howtoselect=4%3B41

Thanks Kerry 56 for your reply. I’m afraid this is a bit too technical for me. Nero has a reencode facility but I have never used it. I will take up your suggestion of downloading the free trial of TMPGen Author and see how I go.
Our small business has a ‘bare bones’ budget.

I am 70 and taught myself to use a computer when they first came on the market. I cut my teeth on dos commands. I can usually get my way around most problems but I can’t find a way out of this one.

I am asking “convert” because that is what we have burned in, but is there a program that gives you the option of burning in PAL or NTSC?
Thanks again, much appreciated
NannaM

Since your dvd is encoded to PAL specifications, you should reencode using the NTSC resolution and frame rate(standard settings for NTSC are 720 x 480, 29.97fps). You can’t just switch as you burn. Some encoders are better at this conversion than others, and as I said, I haven’t used TMPGenc Author 3 for this, so I don’t know how well it will work for you. A common problem is a slight jerkiness to the video once converted.

If you used dos well, you are more competent than I ever was. I bounced off it like a rubber ball more than once. I was a happy camper once graphical interfaces showed up. I still hate command line programs.

Good luck with this project and your business

Thank you once again Kerry56. I presume from your comments you would not enjoy Linux or it many derivatives. Yet to use it but the program holds fascination for me. Microsoft if such a monster.

I will investigate Nero’s reencode program more closely and see if I can make it make sense to me. Unfortunately for me I have to understand what I am doing, otherwise I get nowhere.

I will keep chipping away, I do not like programs to win.

Regards NannaM

I wouldn’t use Nero for this. Nero’s encoding engine is subpar. If you can’t get TMPGenc Author to work correctly, I’d try this guide from videohelp.com: http://forum.videohelp.com/topic300144.html
The only program that he uses in that guide that you would have to buy is TMPGenc Plus 2.5. It is still for sale online, and is considerably less expensive than any other good quality mpeg2 encoder. And there is a free 14 day trial: http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/download/tp.html

By the way, do you have any way of testing the NTSC video once you’ve reencoded?

Thanks Kerry for your post.
I have downloaded TMPGenc Author trial version but it won’t open up. Each time I go to use it the program just disappears from the screen.
What would be blocking it from opening?

And no, we do not have anyway of testing the NTSC dvd.

Irene

Not really sure what is going on with TMPGenc Author. It does require an internet connection to validate, even with the trial, so if you’ve installed to a computer without an open internet connection, it won’t work.

There are some dvd players that can play both PAL and NTSC. You might have to do a little research to see what is available in your area.

I just downloaded this program. clicked the validate button and the program froze up, with the validation button grayed out. I waited about one minute. Then had to give it the 3 finger salute! control, alt, delete, opens task manager window. Select application tab, highlight the program. select end task Restart the program and it works fine now. Maybe this is the problem she was having?

Hi Quick Draw
I do have the internet and I validated the licence and got the trial button to show up and when I press the start trial button I get a title page and then it disappears. I don’t get a chance to give it the 3 finger salute because it turns itself off.
Very frustrating

[quote=Kerry56;1924724]Not really sure what is going on with TMPGenc Author. It does require an internet connection to validate, even with the trial, so if you’ve installed to a computer without an open internet connection, it won’t work.

There are some dvd players that can play both PAL and NTSC. You might have to do a little research to see what is available in your area.[/quote]

Will try the NTSC disks out on the PC and TVs within the family. Thanks.

If these instructional videos have no menus you should try NeroVison (Express) to convert. The resultant quality is actually decent. Try it and see if it suits your needs. Set your desired output in preferences to your needs, PAL or NTSC and simply ‘Import’ the disc. PAL to NTSC conversions work well. Nothing could be easier or less complicated, especially since you have the program.