Help needed - which of these burns is the best?

vbimport

Those burns are for an independent movie theater (we got the dvd image from the movie production team), will be played on a standalone bluray or dvd player. We most likely won’t have time to test the movie (everything done at the last minute as always), so I need to have some security using the scan graphs…

I tried several combination of blank media and burner. For some reason, two out of 4 burns couldn’t be read by my BenQ DW1640 (although it’s on a very old machine, but still, they could be read on the same machine by an old Toshiba DVD reader…)

[B]Burn 1: old TDK 8x media, code TYG02. Burnt at 8x on a Sony Optiarc 7260S.

[/B][I]Scan using the 7260S itself. Couldn’t be read by BenQ DW1640:

[/I]
[B]Burn 2: Verbatim 16x media , code MCC03RG20. Burnt at 16x on a Sony Optiarc 7260S.

[/B][I]Scan using the 7260S itself. Couldn’t be read by BenQ DW1640:

[/I]
[B]Burn 3: Verbatim 16x media , code MCC03RG20. Burnt at 16x on a Pioneer BD-S09XLT.

[/B][I]Scan using the BenQ DW1640:

Scan using the 7260S itself:

[/I]
Burn 4: Verbatim 16x media , code MCC03RG20. Burnt at 4x on a Sony Optiarc 7260S.
[I]
Scan using the BenQ DW1640:

Scan using the 7260S itself:

[/I]My uneducated guess tells me either the first or last one. The last one because it can be read on the DW1640, and the first one seems to be ther one with the less errors… but as burn 3 shows, the 7260s does not seem to be a very reliable scanner… or am I missing something?
Thanks!

Burn 4 is best.

Burn 1 and 2 cannot be read by one of the drives, so scans are irrelevant.

Burn 3 can be read by both drives but scans worse than burn 4 on the BenQ drive.

That was my reasoning as well. Does the fourth scan say anything particular, or that might be problematic?

When I say this, keep in mind that scans between different drives (even of the same model) aren’t directly comparable. On top of that, given that most folks around here scan at 4x or 8x (or somewhere in-between) (depends on the drive), we can’t compare your burns to anyone else’s burns.

But seeing that neither the BenQ (older, not tolerant of mediocre burns when scanning at higher speeds) nor the Optiarc (a finicky reader) had horrible things to say about burn #4 means good things.

That’s about all you can say; the burn was the best of the bunch. With different burns on different pieces of media on a different day, that might switch up. But you can assume that, if all the media of each type performs the same way as it did here, you can safely use the combo required to make burn #4 and have few issues in the future.

Try the MCC 03RG20 on the Pioneer, at 8x. Try the TYG02 on the Pioneer at 8x or 6x. Those are my two recommendations.

If you’re trying to adjust from burn #4… Up the write speed to 6x, 8x, or 12x.

thank you Albert!

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2772157]Burn 4 is best.

[B]Burn 1 and 2 cannot be read[/B] by one of the drives, so scans are irrelevant.

[B]Burn 3 can be read[/B] by both drives but scans [B]worse [/B]than burn 4 on the BenQ drive.[/QUOTE]
He said which one is the best Drage? I do not see you telling this guy any of them are the best? LOL.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2772274]He said which one is the best Drage? I do not see you telling this guy any of them are the best? LOL.[/QUOTE] I would have thought that “Burn 4 is best.” is pretty clear! :smiley:

[QUOTE=Lebowsky;2772153]or am I missing something?[/QUOTE]
Yes. By scanning at such high speed you’re not really testing the disc quality, but the reading ability of the scanning drive instead.

Your Optiarc should be a useful scanner (although the results are not directly comparable with Benqs & Lite-Ons), but if you want a realistic representation of the disc quality you will need to lower the speed to 5x. :wink:

Note: With Optiarc drives you can click on the ‘Advanced’ button and change the PIF scanning interval between 8ECC (as Benq) & 1ECC (as Lite-On, Samsung). This changes how the PIF values are calculated. (Another reason why, as Albert has already mentioned, scans done on different drives are not directly comparable).

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2772157]Burn 4 is best.

Burn 1 and 2 cannot be read by one of the drives, so scans are irrelevant.

Burn 3 can be read by both drives but scans worse than burn 4 on the BenQ drive.[/QUOTE]
:iagree:

There is more to testing discs than error scanning. Readback/transfer rate testing in different drives is if anything more important. If a disc cannot be read by some drives (at full speed or at all) then it should be regarded as suspect.

Note: A successful high-speed scan is not the same as a transfer rate test. When scanning the drive isn’t performing a normal read, and occasionally discs which scan OK may not be readable to the end. (DrageMester proved this some years ago.)

Ok so I wanted to adjust from burn 4, tried a new burn at 8x, 6x and 4x.

I tried to scan the 8x burn at 4x on the BenQ, but it failed midway, lots of errors and said “SCSI error 0”. Tried the other 2 at max speed, same thing.

Is my drive damaged or are the burns f*cked? They show up fine on the Optiarc, but it doesn’t test jitter…

forget the post above, here’s the complete one (was too late to edit):

Ok so I wanted to adjust from burn 4, tried a new burn at 8x, 6x and 4x.

I tried to scan the 8x burn at 4x on the BenQ, but it failed midway, lots of PO errors, choked and said “SCSI error 0”. Tried the other 2 burns at max speed, same thing, with lots of clicky sounds after the error.

Is my drive damaged or are the burns f*cked? If the drive is damaged, may it have damaged the discs while scanning them? The 6x won’t scan on the optiarc (failed with bad sectors, but I didn’t scan it on the optiarc before the BenQ), and 4x got the same resultst from the Optiarc before and after it failed midway on the BenQ.

The only realistic way that the BenQ drive can damage the disc is by scratching it. You should be able to see such scratches on the disc surface by holding the disc at the right angle to strong light.

It’s possible that the BenQ drive has deteriorated and that this is why it’s having problems reading and scanning your burnt discs, but it’s not really something you can know for sure without testing the same discs in more drives.

yeah… they’re scratched. damn BenQ :doh:

oh well, re-burned at 4x, should be good enough. Previous movie (burn 4 in the first post) played fine during our screening.