[Help Needed] Sony DRU-720A Won't Recognize ALL My Burned DLs

vbimport

Hi !!! I’m not sure where to put this in Sony or Optiarc but since my Optiarc is new and the problematic one is an old Sony, I guess I’ll put it here. I apologize if it’s not appropriate and please do move this thread to the appropriate section.

I have an old Sony DRU-720A with FW JY08. It was my main burner until recently I learned more about DVD burning from this forum and decided
to purchase a Sony Optiarc AD-7240S with the latest FW. At that time around I also learned about the importance of quality scanning and
transfer rate test. So since then I’ve been starting to do quality scans to all my next burn and previous burns. I have the DRU only to do quality scans.

Before purchasing the Optiarc, I burned a lot of DLs with the DRU at 2.4x speed and I only use MKM-03-00. Having never do quality scans on those burns, I started to do quality scans on them with the DRU. Strangely enough not all are recognized by the DRU. When it recognizes, I get a 91%-99% quality ratings.

But when it doesn’t, the DRU makes noises like it’s trying hard to read the disc. It makes noise like : rrrrrr then stops then rrrrrr then stops and this goes for about 8 times before it really stopped. And when I go into DVDInfo and try to start a PIPO scan on it, DVDInfo gives ‘Waiting For Device To Become Ready’ message and freezes. When I open Task Manager it would say DVDInfo not responding so I had to kill it.

The statistics are as follows :

-Total burned DLs are about 29 discs and all are MKM-03-00 and burned with ImgBurn at 2.4x.

-From that total, 22 are recognized and 7 aren’t.

-From the 22 that are recognized, 17 have quality ratings between 91%-99% and 5 have quality ratings between 51%-73% (Only 1 has 51.75% while the rest have above 70%)

-The 7 that aren’t recognized, I gave them a try with the Optiarc and the Optiarc recognizes them. So I scanned them and they have quality
ratings between 55%-86%. (Only 1 got 55.92%, 2 is all green and the rest is greens and yellows)

My questions are :

1. Why is my DRU-720A won’t recognize ALL of my burned DLs ??? Is it dying ??? Or is it the media ???

2. I learned that the DRU is better for quality scanning than the Optiarc because of the DRU-720A being a rebadged Lite-On and the Optiarc’s
    inability for jitter scanning. Is this true ??? Please CMIIW.

3. If true, would the scan results done with the Optiarc, representative enough to give me ideas about how good those burns are ???

4. Did someone have a similar experience ???

5. What is your suggestion/solution for this ???

Thank you very much in advance for your kind answers.

How is the Optiarc set up and what SATA controller is used??

[QUOTE=chef;2504633]How is the Optiarc set up and what SATA controller is used??[/QUOTE]

Hi !!! Thank you very much for your response.

I’m not sure I comprehend what you’re trying to say but I’m gonna try to answer the best I can.

I’m using XP and Pentium 4 HT 3.0 GHz. The mobo is Asus P4P800 Deluxe. My mobo is IDE but it has SATA support. It has 2 SATA ports. The on-board controller is VIA VT6410 RAID Controller. The Optiarc is connected to SATA port 0 while the DRU-720A is connected to IDE 1 as master. I have 2 HDDs connected to IDE 0 in a non-RAID manner.

Is this sufficient enough ???

bump

Ugh, [B]Via[/B] says it all. Very unreliable products/controller.

Wait, I checked ASUS’ site and there is stated:
[B]# [B]Intel ICH5R[/B] 2 SATA ports with Raid0 & 2 channel ATA 100 IDE[/B]

Could you check the devicemanager and there the sata entry in case which driver is installed?

Hi !!! Thank you for your response.

I only find 3 entries with the word ‘controller’ on it.

1. It is Intel® 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

2. It is VIA VT6410 RAID Controller under SCSI and RAID Controller.

3. And it is Intel® 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller under USB controllers.

4. The driver installed is version 5.1.2600.5512

I believe the problem is the Via controller (chipset).

I would buy a cheap SATA controller ([B]NON RAID[/B]).

[QUOTE=chef;2506642]I believe the problem is the Via controller (chipset).

I would buy a cheap SATA controller ([B]NON RAID[/B]).[/QUOTE]

Hi !!! Thank you very much for ur answer.

I’m sorry but could you please elaborate a little more on what the real problem here ???

I don’t think I understand what’s going on here because the DRU that I’m talking about is IDE and the Optiarc is just fine for burning. I don’t have any communication issues with it being a SATA drive.

What I’m having is the DRU being picky with DLs that’s been burned with itself and I provided the statistics in post #1. And I only use Verbatim DVD+R DL 16x MKM-003-00 for all of those burns.

My questions are :

1. Why is my DRU-720A won’t recognize ALL of my burned DLs ??? Is it dying ??? Or is it the media ???

2. I learned that the DRU is better for quality scanning than the Optiarc because of the DRU-720A being a rebadged Lite-On and the Optiarc’s
    inability for jitter scanning. Is this true ??? Please CMIIW.

3. If true, would the scan results done with the Optiarc, representative enough to give me ideas about how good those burns are ???

4. Did someone have a similar experience ???

5. What is your suggestion/solution for this ???

Ah, okay, I got it wrong. I thought an sata optical drive is involved…

1. I believe the laser could be weakening. Try cleaning the drive if possible.
  2. True Liteons are better for quality scanning than Optiarc drives, AFAIK.
  3. Could be, just create one and compare it to the scans posted here in this forum.
  4. …probably
  5. Try with the 7240S.

I think I managed to find an explanation and a fix to my situation.

After doing a lot of observing, I can say that I’ve found the reason why my DRU being picky. It’s because of the tray mechanism motor is starting to lose its rotating power, resulting the part with laser rail wouldn’t always go up all the way like it should be when the tray closes. So when the laser rail doesn’t go up, it won’t recognize ANY disc. When I give the tray a push to help the tray closes a little speedier, the laser rail would go all the way up and recognizes ALL the previously unrecognized DL. :slight_smile:

I hope this helps people who have the same issue.

Thank you to chef for his generosity, taking a little from his precious time to aid me in troubleshooting this.

Thank you to this forum for hosting this thread.

Glad you sorted it out. :wink: