Help needed in music quality

vbimport

my friends have recorded their band’s music in 22kps .rm format, they have asked me to convert it to mp3 44,000mhz and 128kps, but when i do there is watery background and the voice go a bit watery as well…
can someone help me?

make sure that input hertz is the same as output hertz. So if your rm file is 41000hz make sure that your mp3 is 41000hz, that should avoid problems with “watery effects” :wink:

btw i think you ment 44000 hz and not 44000Mhz :smiley:

greetz

the quality is so poor to begin with … its really not worth the trouble of re-encoding.

Originally posted by ckin2001
the quality is so poor to begin with … its really not worth the trouble of re-encoding.

I agree, the band is going to have to give you something better to work with. You know crap in = crap out.

Jeez no kidding. 22k sounds like crap. Have your friends give you a better recording or stop wasting time. If they plan to use it as a demo CD to get gigs, if it sounds like crap, they’re pissing into the wind.

Been there done that. I’m in a band, you need to look and act Pro if you expect to be taken seriously, and that includes demo CDs.

hey wat bout …if iv got sum mp3 which are 56 kpbs and 44mhz what ever…
can i convert them to 128 kbps…if so then wat s/w shd i use?

You will still lose quality. There is no way to get the quality back into that file. Converting to MP3 (or any lossy format) you will always lose quality.

huh? r u sayin that there ll be no gain ,but there will be further loss if i convert fm 56 to 128 ??
but how can i do it in the 1st place?

If they are originally recorded at 128kbps they will sound better. Re-encoding from 56kbps to 128kbps will only worsen the quality. This is because when you encode/re-encode to mp3 (or another lossy format) you will always lose some quality (some information gets discarded).

Originally posted by Seniormemberlol
huh? r u sayin that there ll be no gain ,but there will be further loss if i convert fm 56 to 128 ??
but how can i do it in the 1st place?

You cannot add information that isn’t there regardless of what bit rate you change it to. And anything that starts at 22k (didn’t know there was such a thing) has very little information. You really need to start with a better source. You should start with at least 128k.

If you really need to convert the rm to MP3, e.g. for someone who doesn’t use Real player, get the Tara plugin for Winamp. You will need Real Player and Winamp version 2.xx installed to use this plugin. Next, set the audio output mode to Disk Writter and play the .RM song you wish to convert. Winamp will convert the song to Wave on disk (without playing through the speakers). After Winamp stops, set the Audio out back to Wave-out or Directsound. Now, use your MP3 encoder to convert the Wave file Winamp generated to MP3 file. Note that what ever method you use to convert the RM to Wave, MP3, etc., the resulting file will never have any better quality than the original file to start with.

Real Audio plugin for Winamp:
http://www.musiclivesonline.com/software/watara.html

For recording a live band, it is always best to start with the highest possible quality possible, such as a 24-bit, 48/96kHz audio recorder. You can always down convert the recording to anything you like, whether it be 16-bit CD Audio, Real Media, MP3, OGG, etc., but you should always start from a higher quality source. I’ve seen many use a 24-bit minidisc recorder with a good stereo microphone for recording live bands. :smiley:

thanks chriso ,paul…got it …wont bother trying to convert to 128 now… also paul, my mp3 wer 44khz and 128 kbpsnot 22 …22 ones sound reallly terrible…

will it make any improvemnt if i burn them as audio cds using nero ? o r not?

the 56 kb mp3…is that mp3 pro???

not that it sounds good…but at that bit rate it sounds sometimes better then normal mp3

but as said…many times before…re-record at higher bitrates

how does the band record?? striaght to digital…or do you tape it fitst then then compress??

Originally posted by Seniormemberlol
[B]thanks chriso ,paul…got it …wont bother trying to convert to 128 now… also paul, my mp3 wer 44khz and 128 kbpsnot 22 …22 ones sound reallly terrible…

will it make any improvemnt if i burn them as audio cds using nero ? o r not? [/B]

No quality improvement there. It will just make an audio cd to be played in your Hi-Fi or other regular sound system.

you coukld try using a NEro plug-in and de-compress the rm file to wav and then burn as an audio cd.

i think this is the best way to keep the “quality”

tks chriso…i get you,cause … i tested evything…didnt make any audible diff to the quality …used dbpoweramp to convertt to 192 k…even then no diff…

damian and others …think ul got my post confused with the twnes who started the post .
my mp3 are not 22 khz…they are 56 kp…no band gave them to me…my mp3 are from a long set of continous house mixes .which was split .and for some strange reason…were in 56 k…but sound ok…

ok one more thing…which s/w can aotodetect and split an mp3 of an entire album…
i.e if i have have an album of 14 songs in one contnous mp3 …can i avoid visaully and manually splitting it…and in 1 command get it to aoto split into 14 mp3
tks in advance

lol

my answer was also aimed at twneze_doreamon

mp3directcut might be able to do it. i decode to wav, and use wave repair to auto find / make indices in tracks…but if its all continuous, you are going to have to find the indices yourself - as most rely on finding track splits from a certain amount of silence :wink:

its one single mp3 of an album ,but it does have gaps of 2secs betwn tracks… and tried mp3 direct cut …it doesnt auto detect and split…which s/w does? tried feurio also…

I think you’ll probably have to do it manually.