Help needed for a Video Card install

vbimport

I get this every time I turn on my computer…or every time I reboot. See the attached .doc file below for what it actually says. I also added the specifics about the card in case that would help you help me.

I installed this video card hoping to help the quality of my video but it doesn’t seem to be any better than the integrated on-board graphics.

What am I doing wrong?

How can I tell which video (card or integrated) is being used by my computer?

Can someone help me figure this out?

[quote=burnselk;2129026]
How can I tell which video (card or integrated) is being used by my computer?[/quote]Just look where you have your monitor connected to :wink:

mciahel, looks like I jumped before thinking and you got me…Glad you added the “winking smily face”.

Does the fact that my monitor is connected to my new card mean the integrated graphics is not being used?

What would you do about that dialog which gives me a warning? Did you take a look at the .doc document? It pops up every time I turn my computer on…and I just close it. Any advice on that?

[quote=burnselk;2129058]mciahel, looks like I jumped before thinking and you got me…Glad you added the “winking smily face”.[/quote]:wink:

Does the fact that my monitor is connected to my new card mean the integrated graphics is not being used?
Not necessarily. Some motherboards will automagically disable the integrated VGA if a add-on card is installed, some others don’t (unless the Bios option that deals with that is changed.) since then a multi monitor operation would be possible. Please check your motherboard manual for further information.

What would you do about that dialog which gives me a warning? Did you take a look at the .doc document?
Why haven’t you attached this directly instead of using MSword.doc? :confused:
It pops up every time I turn my computer on…and I just close it. Any advice on that?
Just uninstall Ati Control Center and Ati video drivers. They really can’t deal with a Nvidia based VGA card.

If I change my video card, I do that this way:

[ol]
[li]start in safe mode
[/li][li]uninstall existing VGA drivers
[/li][li]shutdown
[/li][li]install new VGA card
[/li][li](with integrated VGA: disabling onboard VGA in BIOS if possible)
[/li][li]load Windows
[/li][li]install new drivers
[/li][/ol]

Michael

[I]Off topic[/I].[QUOTE=mciahel;2129067];)Why haven’t you attached this directly instead of using MSword.doc? :confused:
…[/QUOTE]Maybe because we don’t know that we have to hit Alt + PrtScr tabs, open MSPaint and choose menue Edit --> paste.
Not tha easy for all of us. :wink:

[QUOTE=mciahel;2129067]
Not necessarily. Some motherboards will automagically disable the integrated VGA if a add-on card is installed, some others don’t (unless the Bios option that deals with that is changed.) since then a multi monitor operation would be possible. Please check your motherboard manual for further information.[/QUOTE]

I have actually taken a picture of each the BIOS screens. So, if I find the option to disable the integrated VGA I’m assuming I should do so.

Why haven’t you attached this directly instead of using MSword.doc?

I tried using a Word document instead of Paint because I didn’t select jpg when I saved the screenshot in Paint and I couldn’t get the bmp image resized small enough to attach here. When I used Word, it was easily resized as a jpg to allow me to attach it…had to be smaller than 97MB I believe. But now I know to save screenshots with Paint in jpg format now.

How do you do screenshots? And how (if you use Paint as I normally do) do you remove everything except the actual dialog window you want to attach? You’ll note on my attachment that was done in Paint that it had a large white part around it…how can I remove that white section of the screenshot so I’ll have only what I want to attach/send?

Just uninstall Ati Control Center and Ati video drivers. They really can’t deal with a Nvidia based VGA card.

How should I uninstall the Control Center and Ati video drivers? If I remove the ATI Control Center will that not have any effect whatsoever on the VGA card I installed? Should I try to update the card drivers? If so, what method should I use?

If I change my video card, I do that this way:

1. start in safe mode
    > uninstall existing VGA drivers

Do you do this in Device Manager or some other way? Please advise.
  2. shutdown[/li][li]install new VGA card
    [li](with integrated VGA: disabling onboard VGA in BIOS if possible)[/li]Should this always be done, if possible? Maybe I really do need to do this. But how would I know if I need to?
  3. load Windows
    > install new drivers

How do you install new drivers? Do you go to the manufacturers website or do you do it via Device Manager?

mciahel, you have given me much to think/learn about and I appreciate every single bit of it. Can you respond with a response to the questions I asked? I’m still learning…and love to learn.

[QUOTE=pinto2;2129105][I]Off topic[/I].Maybe because we don’t know that we have to hit Alt + PrtScr tabs, open MSPaint and choose menue Edit --> paste.
Not tha easy for all of us. ;)[/QUOTE]

Yesterday I just learned how to do the Alt + PrtScr with MSPaint pinto2…but how in the world do you remove all of the surrounding white area from around the picture/dialog window that you want to send/attach? That white area is just too much wasted space and pixels. See post #1 to see what I’m talking about.

A friend at work uses Word to do this but I can’t remember how he removed the white (useless) area.

Thanks for posting your method pinto2, if I didn’t already know about Alt + PrtScr I would have definitely been tickled to have learned that from you.

But, again, how do I remove all of that waste around the dialog window? That’s the BIG question for me now. Can it be cropped? If so, how?

The white space can be adjusted by moving the mouse to (usually) lower right corner and resize.

Hi,[quote=burnselk;2129119]I have actually taken a picture of each the BIOS screens. So, if I find the option to disable the integrated VGA I’m assuming I should do so. [/quote]Already read the manual? As stated, some motherboards disable the onboard VGA automagically if a PCIe VGA card is installed.

But now I know to save screenshots with Paint in jpg format now.
.png is much better. Have a look at my signature :wink:

How do you do screenshots? And how (if you use Paint as I normally do) do you remove everything except the actual dialog window you want to attach? You’ll note on my attachment that was done in Paint that it had a large white part around it…how can I remove that white section of the screenshot so I’ll have only what I want to attach/send?
On my boxes, pressing “Alt-PrtSc” copies the actual window to clipboard. I use IrfanView (free for personal use) to insert, modify and save as .png.

How should I uninstall the Control Center and Ati video drivers?
Control Panel --> Add/Remove Software. Uninstall the Control Center at first.
If I remove the ATI Control Center will that not have any effect whatsoever on the VGA card I installed?
No. You onboard VGA is Ati, and your VGA card is Nvidia.
Should I try to update the card drivers? If so, what method should I use?
No. Get rid of the Ati VGA drivers and software at first. Then you can install newer drivers for your card if you like.

(uninstall old drivers)

Do you do this in Device Manager or some other way? Please advise.
“Add/Remove Software” in Control Panel does the trick. [B]Note: [/B]Since the Catalyst drivers also contain essential chipset drivers, make sure to only select the VGA drivers to be uninstalled.

(with integrated VGA: disabling onboard VGA in BIOS if possible)
Should this always be done, if possible? Maybe I really do need to do this. But how would I know if I need to?
I do always disable onboard components in Bios (if possible) if I don’t use them. Does the Ati VGA still show up in device manager?

How do you install new drivers? Do you go to the manufacturers website or do you do it via Device Manager?
Get them from the manufacturer and install according to the instructions given there. If the drivers you’ve already installed work for you, then there is normally no need to update them.

mciahel, you have given me much to think/learn about and I appreciate every single bit of it. Can you respond with a response to the questions I asked? I’m still learning…and love to learn.
You’re welcome :slight_smile:

Michael

Quick question before I get into your last post.

Should I remove that last post I made? The one with my [U]Task Manager[/U]? It contains information I’m not sure should be shown to the world.

What do you think?

How can I get it removed? [U]Can you do it as Moderator[/U]? If so, please do so. I was just practicing anyway.

Hi,[quote=burnselk;2129579]Quick question before I get into your last post.

Should I remove that last post I made? The one with my [U]Task Manager[/U]? It contains information I’m not sure should be shown to the world. [/quote]I don’t see any personal information there.

How can I get it removed? [U]Can you do it as Moderator[/U]?
Moderators that are assigned to this forum or Senior Moderators can remove your post.
I can not, unfortunately.

Michael

** One post removed, as per request ** :wink:

Thank you. I appreciate your assistance. This is a great site.

I would guess the onboard ATI graphics has already auto-disabled, otherwise Catalyst control centre would probably work (not actually tried having ATI and Nvidia graphics live at the same time).

Sometimes the onboard can be used to drive additional monitors alongside a card, other times it will be auto disabled.

It won’t do much to help the quality, a better card usually helps the speed, rather than the quality, unless it adds enough grunt that you can turn up game settings.

In fact, if you don’t game, you probably don’t need to upgrade, and if you do, you probably want something with more grunt than an 8500GT - pretty much bottom of the 8-series, other than the mostly OEM 8400GS.

As suggested, I uninstalled the Catalyst Control Center and it does not pop up every time I power on now.

It’s good to hear from others about who know about such things, this way I learn not to waste my $…the next time around.

I plan on building another computer to use an AMD X2 processor I have. Any suggestions on what board to use? I used the Gigabyte GA-MA69 on my first. So far no trouble…but I don’t see it for sale now at NewEgg. Have they phased it out already?