Help! Need to find the "simplistic interface" looks like a Xerox machine

I remember(?) an older version of DVD Fab that was useful to anyone. This would work for people who are in need of a simple “just works” solution.

For instance, this particular request is end-user support of 60 year old parents who just click everything in the hopes that the software does something useful. As you can imagine, the new and super-complicated DVD Fab cannot do anything useful when operated in that way.

However, I seem to remember a DVD Fab that had a huge “copy” button and only two options, which were “main movie,” or “entire disc.”
With very few on-screen options to click on, this can greatly improve the chances that near-random mouse clicks (60 year olds) will achieve useful results. And, no–they cannot remember how to operate any piece of software; so, therefore, it must, absolutely must, have the “main screen” get the job done in just one or two clicks (and the location to “make these mouse clicks” must be as obvious as possible, also with large print).

And, I really need this. No amount of “education” (that cannot be remembered) or notebook pen scribbling, or powerpoint or photography or post-it notes can work for 60 year olds to operate the overly complex version of DVD Fab. Where is the simple version???

Help?

I’m over 60 also so don’t take this the wrong way.

Spend a little time RTFM’ing and customise the interface so that it gives you the choices that you require.

Fab is an extremely powerful tool but provides the options to idiot-proof it if you wish.

Oh, sorry. I didn’t intend age discrimination. Of course there are 60+ year old computer experts who are excellent with technical tasks. And, there are many people of every age who are well experienced with computers.

However, my first post was about supporting older people who are also new to computers. These particular people that I’m working with are indeed highly intelligent. Their life’s experiences have not prepared them for the blinding assortment upon the first screen of DVD Fab. So, I’m attempting to find the older version with the simplistic interface–looks like the controls on a Xerox (copy) machine.

You will have problems with an older version as it will not support copying newere releases. This is one of the reasons that Fab is continually updated because the studios are continually changing attemtps at copy protection.

What I was trying to say is to go into the settings and remove all the options that you do not want/understand and all you will be left with on the main screen is “Full Disc” & “Main Movie”.

It takes about 30 seconds to do and will achieve your goal.

Give it a go!!! What have you got to loose?

i wrote a simple script to completely automate the dvdfab backup process, ive been using for awhile now and it works really good.

so all your parents will need to do is insert the original dvd and a blank dvd. NO CLICKING.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f116/autodvdfab-v1-troy512-275909/

Well, what I’d really like is the “Express Mode” interface as an option on the new software.

actually dvdfab is only one or two clicks

cant really get much easier, if there is a problem, with dvd’s, most of the time its either hardware or pathplayer.

dont see how changing the GUI will make it any “better”, as it is now just click next and start.

DVDFab is really only about one or two mouse clicks. If they can’t figure out 2 mouse clicks, then there’s a good chance that they need to box up their computer, and take it back to the store.

If they’re unable to figure out how to click the mouse button twice, there’s a good chance they’re unable to figure out how to turn their television on. They need to be a nice quiet place in Florida, and I gave up teaching my mom how to use a computer years ago. If clicking two mouse buttons is too complex, then they really need to just go play some shuffle board. Yes, my 83 year old grandmother can use a computer, but my 58 year old mother can barely turn the tv on. Just let it go… Not everyone is meant to own a computer. If post it notes don’t work, then just let it go.

Remember the 10% rule. Need to be 10% smarter than the thing you are trying to operate…

[QUOTE=troy512;2406834]
. . . dont see how changing the GUI will make it any “better”, as it is now just click next and start.[/QUOTE]

Yes. That’s just exactly the point.
A previous version did indeed have an available “express mode” interface as an option. Of course you could use either full or express.

That feature is missing from the new version. And that is a problem.

So, what’s the last (most up to date) version that has the express mode feature? How do I get it? And, how do I buy a license for it and/or will the license that I already bought work on it?

Any ideas (that aren’t substitutes)?
Thanks again.

[QUOTE=slipaway;2407305]
. . .Yes, my 83 year old grandmother can use a computer, but my 58 year old mother can barely turn the tv on. Just let it go… Not everyone is meant to own a computer. If post it notes don’t work, then just let it go.[/QUOTE]

Well, I think that both your mom and my in-law’s can operate “express mode” just fine. Unfortunately, that feature has come up missing.

its not missing its a part of dvdfab, dvdfab express was merged with dvdfab gold back in version 3.

now dvdfab gold has merged with dvdfab dvd to dvd.

back when dvdfab express merged you could request a dvdfab gold key for free. but i dont know if that still holds for the new dvdfab.

if you do get dvdfab express 2.9.8.X, you will have problems with copy protection. the entire reason for using dvdfab.

the newest version is dvdfab 6.0.3.6 and seriously clicking one or two buttons can be figured out with dvdfab dvd to dvd.

if you are really worried setup dvdfab for main movie using two dvd drives, then install AutoDVDFab, once the original disc is recognized by windows, dvdfab will automatically open and autodvdfab will click the next and start buttons for you. can not get any easier.

I agree with others…the “old” Fab will not decrypt many of the new movies and you really can make Fab 6 a simple, 2-click process.

However, if you have your heart set on Fab 2, I certainly can send it to you.
Please drop me a pm (private message) and include your email.

Here’s a screenshot of Express.
Is this the application you’d like?

[QUOTE=troy512;2408108]its not missing its a part of dvdfab, dvdfab express was merged with dvdfab gold back in version 3.

now dvdfab gold has merged with dvdfab dvd to dvd.

back when dvdfab express merged you could request a dvdfab gold key for free. but i dont know if that still holds for the new dvdfab.

if you do get dvdfab express 2.9.8.X, you will have problems with copy protection. the entire reason for using dvdfab. . . . [/QUOTE]

Well, I don’t necessarily need it because of copy protection, so the older version would be just fine.

Say, perhaps you could grant permission to include your instant feature into the next version of DVDfab?

[QUOTE=maineman;2408140]I agree with others…the “old” Fab will not decrypt many of the new movies and you really can make Fab 6 a simple, 2-click process.

However, if you have your heart set on Fab 2, I certainly can send it to you.
Please drop me a pm (private message) and include your email.

Here’s a screenshot of Express.
Is this the application you’d like?[/QUOTE]

Wow! Yes! That’s exactly it!

Got a couple of questions:

Fab 2? So, the “easy interface” was dropped in favor of the “every feature at once interface” for versions 3, 4, 5, and 6??

And, Windows Vista? Is there an easy version to use on Vista, or do I need to upgrade to Vista Business and then downrate to XP Pro?

P.S.
I didn’t mean disrespect. The “downrate” electronics term (in describing removing Vista and installing XP) is used to describe decreasing the workload of an electronic device, such as in the example of a device that runs maximum 40v but is operated at 30v in order to increase the durability and longevity (because of decreased workload).
So, the term “downrate” seems to apply to removing Vista and installing XP.

[QUOTE=danielwritesback;2408174]Wow! Yes! That’s exactly it!

Fab 2? So, the “easy interface” was dropped in favor of the “every feature at once interface” for versions 3, 4, 5, and 6??
[/QUOTE]
Well…sort of.
Actually the old GUI of Fab 2 evolved into Fab 3, etc., as the result of merging the two old applications, [B]Express[/B] and [B]Gold [/B], into [B]Platinum[/B].
To further confuse anyone not familiar with the evolution of Fab, Fengtao also created a [I]“new and different”[/I] [B]Gold[/B].
The [I]“new and different”[/I] [B]Gold [/B]is now defunct as well.

I can’t speak to Vista as I have never been a fan so it’s unlikely I would misconstrue your [I]“downrate”[/I] comment as [I]“disrespectful”[/I]…:stuck_out_tongue:
I can assure you that you won’t have problems running Fab 2 on XP though…at least not due to the OS.

Although I’m still very happy with XP Pro SP3, I do like Windows 7 Beta and Windows 7 RC and I’ve already pre-purchased Windows 7 Pro upgrade from newegg for $99.99.
I’ve had no problems running Fab 4 and Fab 6 up to 6.3.0.5 on a Windows 7 RC system.

Hope this helps and drop me a pm if you wish to pursue installing Fab 2

[QUOTE=danielwritesback;2408174]Wow! Yes! That’s exactly it!

And, Windows Vista? Is there an easy version to use on Vista, or do I need to upgrade to Vista Business and then downrate to XP Pro?

P.S.
I didn’t mean disrespect. The “downrate” electronics term (in describing removing Vista and installing XP) is used to describe decreasing the workload of an electronic device, such as in the example of a device that runs maximum 40v but is operated at 30v in order to increase the durability and longevity (because of decreased workload).
So, the term “downrate” seems to apply to removing Vista and installing XP.[/QUOTE]Wow, I feel like I’m in a time warp. The new version of DVDFab can be made to look more simple using the Customize UI controls. (See below) and still work with Vista and handle all the new encryptions. If this look is simple enough but you don’t want to do it yourself, I can send you a file that will provide it just by copying it to the proper directory.

[QUOTE=signals;2408261]Wow, I feel like I’m in a time warp… [/QUOTE]
Hahaha.
Yeah I included one of our favorite movies of all time in the screenshot for Fab 2, in keeping with the “[I]old theme[/I]”.
I guess I should’ve used one of my Twilight Zone discs…
Cue the music please, Rod…:stuck_out_tongue:

LOL I noticed. Time to watch it again. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=signals;2408261]Wow, I feel like I’m in a time warp. The new version of DVDFab can be made to look more simple using the Customize UI controls. (See below) and still work with Vista and handle all the new encryptions. If this look is simple enough but you don’t want to do it yourself, I can send you a file that will provide it just by copying it to the proper directory.[/QUOTE]

good try - but the old express screenshot is much better, if simplicity is what’s needed. I’d vote to bring it back as an interface option.

Ps maybe they decided that the express target market:
(eyesight still good enough to want to watch DVds but too bad to use a more detailed interface ) was too limited to bother with - shame as I could be in that segment in a few years time :smiley: