Help need for flashing firmware of sony aw g170a

my sony aw g170a not detecting some disks after burning so I decide to flash it with original firmware version 1.72 found on -
http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/en/Optiarc-AD-7170A/

but my drive is OEM version does this firmware support oem version
which is the safe method of flashing .how I flash using binflash is there an option to backup current firmware to drive

You have to use Binflash to back-up and flash the drive firmwares. Boot into Safe Mode and make sure drive is in PIO mode beforehand. In other words, read all the instructions and cautions first before proceeding.

I put it in pio mode and successfully flashed to 1.73 version yet not detecting some disks it shows burned disk as blank ,does bitsetting capable firmware do any difference.

No, bitsetting only changes the +R/+RW to -ROM. If you want to flash OEM G170A firmwares, you don’t need to go into Safe and PIO modes, only if you want to flash 7170A firmwares.

Do you have any conflicting software that could prevent the drive from recognizing the discs?

[QUOTE=KTL;1968206]No, bitsetting only changes the +R/+RW to -ROM. If you want to flash OEM G170A firmwares, you don’t need to go into Safe and PIO modes, only if you want to flash 7170A firmwares.

Do you have any conflicting software that could prevent the drive from recognizing the discs?[/QUOTE]
flash done still some brand of disk are not detecting I send an email to their customer support they saying

Date 3 January 2008

Further to your correspondence of 3 January 2008

Your customer number is 301086820

"Dear Josna

You already have the latest firmware installed, so I’m afraid that there is not much more you can do. [I]We cannot guarantee compatibility with every kind of DVD media.[/I]

This drive is an OEM model and we can only provide basic product support.

If you need further assistance, please contact the Sony Technical Hotline or visit the website at www.sonybiz.net for some helpful steps to troubleshoot your product and details of our standard warranty. Please be sure to include your Customer Reference Number or any previous correspondence as this will ensure timely support. "

why not all disks are made in a standard form
what they mean they cant update firmware for supporting all brand of disk .what I supposed to do now, buy new drive or buy the expensive disks only supported by this drive.

Just exactly what discs are you having problems? Brand? Do you have any playback software to read the discs?

Some media is just too cheaply made, and is cruddy stuff that you should never use. Only a handful of drives are tolerant of crap media, and even then you get subpar results. You kinda have to pay a premium price sometimes to get good results.

But we don’t even know what media you use. As [b]KTL[/B] asked, what media brand do you use? Also, what is the MID of the media? [How to find the MID of discs.]

[QUOTE=Albert;1968478]Some media is just too cheaply made, and is cruddy stuff that you should never use. Only a handful of drives are tolerant of crap media, and even then you get subpar results. You kinda have to pay a premium price sometimes to get good results.

But we don’t even know what media you use. As [b]KTL[/B] asked, what media brand do you use? Also, what is the MID of the media? [How to find the MID of discs.][/QUOTE]

I try to identify using the dvd identifier but it gives ERROR : Unable To Initialize Disc In Time : Not ready - Logical unit not ready
I am not using any playback software I use klite codec with mediaplayer

I am from India the dvd’s “national” and “mmore” manufacturing in India is most selling medium priced disks in my city these are reasonably priced and works fine with all other drives such as LG and lite-on support burning at 18x
the so called highly priced premium disks available here are "moser baer’ “sony” “amkette” these disks cost twice the price of other brand such as “national” and “mmore” which are sold widely in every shop in here and have average quality which can burn at 16x. I will buy premium quality disks for important data but not needed it always.there is also Chinese made disks available but most of it very low quality can’t even burn it at 8x.
most of the disks (“national” ) I burned with my old drive are not recognized by this sony drive.which worked fine at the LG drive I sold along with my old pc .these burned disks works fine with any other drive LG /samsung/lite-on , I tested it (I have friend selling assembled pc)

this is info of a medium priced disk

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:PRINCO8X02]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]

Manufacturer Name : [Princo Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [PRINCO8X02]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]

[ DVD Identifier V5.0.1 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

LG drives are known for being fantastic readers of very poor burns, and NEC/Optiarc drives are known for being picky readers. This might explain your media recognition issues.

However, Princo is VERY well known for being subpar media that gives all burners a bit of trouble. Very few of them can burn the media well enough to provide readible results.

Sorry to say, but the Optiarc typically doesn’t produce good results with anything but the pricier media you listed, with the best results likely from the Sony media. So, in the long end, you may be better off by buying a more tolerant drive [like a LiteOn or Moser Baer drive] or the good media or both. There’s not much else you can do to have okay results after burning.

[QUOTE=Albert;1969089]LG drives are known for being fantastic readers of very poor burns, and NEC/Optiarc drives are known for being picky readers. This might explain your media recognition issues.

However, Princo is VERY well known for being subpar media that gives all burners a bit of trouble. Very few of them can burn the media well enough to provide readible results.

Sorry to say, but the Optiarc typically doesn’t produce good results with anything but the pricier media you listed, with the best results likely from the Sony media. So, in the long end, you may be better off by buying a more tolerant drive [like a LiteOn or Moser Baer drive] or the good media or both. There’s not much else you can do to have okay results after burning.[/QUOTE]
I want to buy new drive I cant just lose 100+ disks
want to know most reading efficient economy drive models

Well, as you’ve seen, LG drives are very good readers. They are the most likely candidate for getting your data back. Next in the lineup would be LiteOn or Samsung. I would highly recommend getting an LG DVD burner, though, as this will probably provide the best results.

[QUOTE=Albert;1969171]Well, as you’ve seen, LG drives are very good readers. They are the most likely candidate for getting your data back. Next in the lineup would be LiteOn or Samsung. I would highly recommend getting an LG DVD burner, though, as this will probably provide the best results.[/QUOTE]
I think u give a model no anyway thanks

Well, any model number will do. Pretty much all the LG drives are good. But people like the H62 and H42 drives. [GSA-H62N, GSA-H62L, GSA-H42N, GSA-H42L, etc.]

[QUOTE=Albert;1969751]Well, any model number will do. Pretty much all the LG drives are good. But people like the H62 and H42 drives. [GSA-H62N, GSA-H62L, GSA-H42N, GSA-H42L, etc.][/QUOTE]
gsa 62n is sata does sata drives tend to have more problems
whether gsa 55l have better reading and durability where is its review

CDFreaks has a review for the H42N, and a mini-review for the H55L and H62L. Not much complaint about durability, and no one has said that reading performance has dropped or anything.

You’ll find them in the LG DVD burner subforum. :slight_smile: