Help! NEC 6650a not found after flash!

vbimport

I have a big problem. I flashed my NEC 6650a on my Dell Lattitude d610. Now i does not recognize it anymore. (“the BIOS reports” device could not be identified"). Even booting into DOS doens’t help because, it is also not found there.

Can anyone help me out here?

Welcome to the forum.

Does the drive tray open? Is the drive LED on or off constantly?

Which firmware did you flash the drive with?

Thanks Dee!

I flashed it with 2.23. But get this, after doing nothing resuming my laptop from standby, it is visible again in Windows. However, when trying to burn a DVD-R it is ejected with: “unwritable media” (Nero Burning Rom)…

I did make a backup of my old firmware. I think the problem lies in this dialog box I get when trying to flash the firmware: “Probably mizing up master and slave firmware. Are you sure you want to continue?” When flashing to 2.23 this was the last I saw of my 6650 after that dialog box.

Can I safely flash it back to my original firmware, you think? I’ve read about the booting thing that sets the master/slave config right again, but I’m not sure what’s what anymore

Thanks in advance!

Liggy knows more about flashing these laptop drives than i do (re master slave firmware) But if you have made a backup of your original firmware, you should be able to go back to your original firmware.

You shouldn’t have continued flashing your drive here. That’s what the message was meant for! It seems I need to change the text here…

Can I safely flash it back to my original firmware, you think? I’ve read about the booting thing that sets the master/slave config right again, but I’m not sure what’s what anymore

If Binflash is able to flash your drive back to the original firmware, you should do that. If it doesn’t work, you probably need to use an IDE adapter and try to flash from a desktop PC.

Thanks guys!
I’ll give it a shot (keeping my fingers crossed)

:sad: I’m getting “problem sending firmware to drive” in Binflash. It says this with every firmware I try. After that, the drive disappears form Windows complete (can not eject etc.) execpt when I terun form standby with a disk inserted, then it repappears in Windows…

When I try to use the .bat files form normal .bat (In Windows) it says Nec6650a is NOT found.

Any thoughts?

Looks like you have a master drive although you need a slave drive or vice versa. I guess the only ways to fix it are a different laptop or an IDE adapter.

When I try to use the .bat files form normal .bat (In Windows) it says Nec6650a is NOT found.

These batch files will only work in pure DOS, not in a Windows shell.

So perhaps, I could try the latter?

I don’t see how another laptop would help? Please explain?

So if I get it correctly, I switches my Nec6650 via the firmware 2.23 from a IDE/ATA master to a IDE/ATA slave or vice versa? Just as in switching the cables on a Desktop’s HDD and CD-rom for example?

So when using a IDE adapter I should hook ik up to a slave (or master) and then try to reflash it to the original firmware and then put it back into my laptop?

Well i have the same burner in my Dell XPS nEC6650 I flashed it using the 1.23 firmware from liggy. I would say you have used the wrong firmware the 2.23 was for older nec burners as i understood from the liggy website. Mine worked perfect it was flashed via windows using binflash:)

the firmware 1.23 says Only flash this firmware, if your current firmware version starts with ‘1’! and the dell nec burner has 1.03 on it

the firmware 2.23 says Only flash this firmware, if your current firmware version starts with ‘2’! so i don’t know where your nec started with 2 but if it was a nec6650 it should have started with 1

http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/6650/

I hope this helps a little

P.s liggy the link above are all those firmwares for the nec6650 why is there so many and what is fast and rpc1 the diffrences between the two.After flashing my drive when i burn something the programs say effective burning capable of 8x but the burn still only does 2x but seems to burn quicker and yes i can access bitsetting