HELP! My optical drive has disappeared!

vbimport

I have a brand new (purchased March 24, 2007) Toshiba A135-S4467 laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium. It has a TSSTCorp CD/DVDW TS-L632D ATA Device DVD/CD-ROM drive (this name is taken directly from the device manager). It worked like a charm when I bought it, I have burned several CDs and DVDs with it…then suddenly yesterday, it disappeared from “My Computer”. I went to the device manager and took a look, and there’s a yellow exclamation point by the name. When I click on properties, it tells me “This device cannot start (Code 10)”. When I click on where it says “check for solutions”, I get no response. I have tried to update the driver, but I get a message telling me the driver is current. I have tried uninstalling it and rebooting, and I get a message that says the driver failed to install properly.

I have looked all over the place for help, trying to avoid dealing with Toshiba customer service and having to send my new computer in, but the only thing I’ve seen of ANY use is that this type of device doesn’t even need a driver - it’s supposed to be supported by Windows automatically. I would like to attempt a complete system restore and see if that works, but I can’t find my #@$%^! factory restore discs. If that doesn’t work, am I to assume it’s a hardware problem, bite the bullet, and send the computer back to be fixed?

Is this common with BRAND NEW laptops?? If anyone has a solution, suggestion, comment, or even a prayer to offer up, I would appreciate the help. I’m not really a techie, but I have one I can call on if I need to.

Thanks so much!

Kate

Hi and Welcome!

What did you do before the drive “disappeared”? Did you install any software, drivers or Windows updates?

(…)I have looked all over the place for help, trying to avoid dealing with Toshiba customer service and having to send my new computer in, but the only thing I’ve seen of ANY use is that this type of device doesn’t even need a driver - it’s supposed to be supported by Windows automatically. I would like to attempt a complete system restore and see if that works, but I can’t find my #@$%^! factory restore discs.
You may also use Windows’ internal system restore utility. Concerning the recovery disc- are you sure, you got one? Many manufacturers put that on a hidden partition on the HardDisk, so they can save another 10 cents. Please check your manual about the factory restore procedure.

If that doesn’t work, am I to assume it’s a hardware problem, bite the bullet, and send the computer back to be fixed?
to sort out hardware problems - have you access to another computer with a working CD writer? Then get KNOPPIX (you can download it for free) and try booting your notebook with that.

Michael

I had the same problem a few days ago, I chose to sign up and tell you what the problem is. You need to remove iTunes from your Laptop / Pc. then restart the system and it should be back to normal.

ive just recieved the very same “code 10” problem with my new Samsung R70 laptop (with exactly the same disc drive as above). i put it online for the first time today. i installed the new itunes and 25 windows updates and then after that discs stopped reading. do i really have to reinstall itunes?! because it was a lengthy enough process extracting my library from my old PC. any advise would be really handy as im off to university in 3 days with no way to load any more disc software!

Remove itunes, because its crap!

Hi, I’m new to the site and as your probably expecting I really need some help!!

I’ve just had this happen [U]after[/U] removing itunes! Device manager shows the drive but says “Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)” I can’t see it in My Computer, so can’t try a firmware upgrade as suggested elswhere!

Has anyone found a cure? i’ve go no recovery disk or warranty!

By the way it’s a - E-System 3087

Many thanks in advance for all help, Lloyd

Welcome to CD Freaks. :slight_smile:

Try the following link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

CURED IT!!!:clap:

Found a guide suggesting the removal of the upper a lower limits in regedit, then removing driver & re-starting!! ALL GOOOOOD!!:iagree:

Posting replys at same time!! Many thanks for your help, as the site suggests CDFREAKS!! :bow:

[quote=watsontrio;1964458]CURED IT!!!:clap:

Found a guide suggesting the removal of the upper a lower limits in regedit, then removing driver & re-starting!! ALL GOOOOOD!!:iagree:[/quote]

I too had this exact same problem and agree that editing the registry as stated did in fact cure the problem.

More specifically, should any annoyed soul who had this problem recently care to understand how this problem was solved, here you go:

SYSTEM CONFIGURATION:[ul]
[li]Windows XP[/li][li]iTunes 7.5[/ul][/li]ERRORS & CODES:[ul]
[li]Type: Error; Event ID: 7026; Source: Service Control Manager; Description: The following boot-start or system-start drivers failed to load…Cdrom, imapi, redbook[/li][li]Type: Warning; Event ID: 263; Source: PlugPlayManager; Description: The service “apple mobile device” may not have unregistered[/ul][/li]With that background in place, I basically had a totally inoperative CD-ROM; in fact, Windows did not even recognize that I had a CD-ROM drive whatsoever.

So, after much trial and error, I discovered the root of the problem. In the process of (a) installing iTunes and (b) attempting to uninstall it after it didn’t work, it appears that iTunes didn’t really complete the uninstallation procedure correctly.

What iTunes forgot to do was remove the “GEAR driver” which basically helps iTunes burn & rip from the CD-ROM. So, what I had to do was [B]manually remove the GEAR drivers[/B]. Here’s how I did it:
Manual Removal – 32-bit

[edit]
Vista, Server 2003, Windows XP and Windows 2000

[?]

WARNING: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system.
We cannot guarantee that problems resulting from modifications to the registry can be solved. Use the information provided at your own risk.

Select Run… in the START menu, and type in regedit
This will start up the Registry Editor.

Delete the following key from the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\GearAspiWDM

If present, delete the following key from the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\GEARSecurity

In the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} key:
remove the GEARAspiWDM entry in the UpperFilters value. Note that the entries in this value are double byte.

In the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{6D807884-7D21-11CF-801C-08002BE10318} key:
remove the GEARAspiWDM entry in the UpperFilters value. Note that the entries in this value are double byte.

In the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{CE5939AE-EBDE-11D0-B181-0000F8753EC4} key:

Reboot

Delete GearAspi.dll from Windows\System32 folder

If present, delete Gearsec.exe from Windows\System32 folder

Delete GearAspiWDM.sys from Windows\System32\Drivers folder

Delete the Windows\System32\GEARAspi.dll value from the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs registry key

Delete the Windows\System32\Gearsec.exe value from the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs registry key

If present, delete the Windows\System32\Drivers\GearAspiWDM.sys value from the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs registry key

Reboot Those instructions were pulled from the GEAR website HERE.

Hi everybody. I just luckily beaten Windows XP by getting it recognize my CD-ROM.

Actually, it was out of order about a year (inaccessible, could not be viewed via Device manager, and SOMETIMES even hadn’t an icon in my computer folder, eject button was working, but drive was unable to write and read.). I did try to make it work, but no luck.

Today, out of the blue, I tried WinXP Manager (3rd party software) option “System Repair” - missing cd-rom: after you remove some cd burning software maybe you can no longer access your cd rom - Click here to fix this! And voila! It worked (after reboot). And I realized drive is “alive”, coz before I assumed otherwise.

So, I decided to test it and installed Nero. After restart, it disappeared again. I ran WinXP Manager fix again. Again working. After a couple of restarts, fix wasn’t working anymore.

I tried to remove upper-lower filters, but that doesn’t worked. Suddenly I just thought that it’s daemon tools’ fake dvd rom that messes the system. Because in device manager I had IZ1440B WTP322Y SCSI CdRom Device, instead of TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-L532A. After removing Daemon tools, device manager’s ‘dvd/cd-rom drives’ was EMPTY, and nothing was there in My Computer folder. I was afraid to remove IDE Channels, coz usually I do only what I understand, try not to risk. And I really don’t understand about those IDE Channels. So I was looking for smth. else.

Then, I decided to check if BIOS was detecting DVD Rom and yes it was, but the order of drives was:

Primary IDE Master - Atapi CD Rom
Secondary IDE Master - Hard Disk

So I interchanged them, and my DVD Rom doesn’t dissapear anymore, is always present and okay.

Im posting this coz usually I only use other ppl’s solutions and “take” from the net, but well I solved a problem and hope this will help someone so I decided to “give”. Maybe it’s not smth brilliant, but everything is working after all :slight_smile:
…cheers!

Had the same problem (error 19) under vista 64. Followed the steps in the link below and all is back to normal.
Not sure what program did the damage yet, but I guess I’ll eventually bump onto it.

Thanks guys for the tip !!! :bow::bow:

[quote=Albert;1964456]Welcome to CD Freaks. :slight_smile:

Try the following link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060[/quote]

i have a lenovo desktop and it has a dl burner on it idk specs nd crap but its a vista pc and today right now when i came home my disk drive dissapeared idk if it was there esterday but i really need to burn a movie i made for my project so im fucked unless i figure this shit out can some one help please

o yeah i also tried to use the cd tht u use to strt up the pc but i couldnt because he disk drive broken so iwas like FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU

[QUOTE=jubonga;2227377]o yeah i also tried to use the cd tht u use to strt up the pc but i couldnt because he disk drive broken so iwas like FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU[/QUOTE]

start writing in english.