Help, my newly installed HDD is showing 0 Free Space

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TH scope=row></TH><TD>I just installed this 160GB IEDE Seagate HDD as my slave drive to use as storage. It was not showing up as being installed at first but when I finally got it there by using the Seagate install disk, it now shows up as drive D but it is totally full…0 free space.

What can I do? Can I format or erase whatever is doing this? What could do this?

Maybe when I was asked to select the allocation for the drive (when I thought I was partitioning the drive) and I selected all 137GB of the space that’s what left me with 0 free space on the drive.

I’m at a lose. Please help. I need some advise on how to empty my new HDD…there is nothing installed on it. I don’t understand.

Thank you.

P.S. I don’t have SP2 installed on my old HP 7955 (2001 model) computer so I can only get 137GB out of the 160GB on the disk. Does anyone know a workaround on this?

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Format it quick and try to partition it too.

Probably your BIOS (mobo) is oldish, and you also need to install some xp patches.

Hi,[quote=burnselk;2019150]<table><tbody><tr><td></td></tr><tr><th scope=“row”></th><td>P.S. I don’t have SP2 installed on my old HP 7955 (2001 model) computer so I can only get 137GB out of the 160GB on the disk. Does anyone know a workaround on this?

</td></tr></tbody></table>[/quote]then install SP2. There is absolutely no reason to not have it installed. SP2 can be downloaded from MS website (they even sent it out on CD for free when it was released).
Additionally, search MS Knowledge Base for “48 Bit LBA”.
In any other case, you might lose data on your new HDD, which would have been a waste of money then.

Michael

You can also use the Seagate partitioning software download from Seagate web site if you don’t have the disk enclosed with the hard drive. You can divide the hard drive into two smaller partition thus bypassing the 137 gig limit. But ,like others stated, it is best to update your O/S to SP2.