[Help]My computer doesn't recognize my nec 2510a

Sorry, it’s a newbie question. How can I let my computer recognize my new NEC 2510A as a DVD Writer. After I installed it, my computer can only see it as CD-ROM/DVD-ROM by using the standard Microsoft driver. Do I need to install device driver? If so, where I can download it. Mine is a bare driver from Newegg without software. BTW, my OS is Windows 2000 Professional.
Thanks for your help.

Dennis

You could try to upgrade to the latest service pack, I think that may contain newer drivers to recognize more modern hardware that is available.

My Windows 2000 Professional is already at service pack 4. It seems only have the CD-ROM drivers. Is there anywhere I can download the driver?

Thanks,
Dennis

No additional drivers are needed. Your recording apps will recognize the DVD writing capabilities. That is all that matters.

I have Nero 5 and it can’t recognize it. Do I have to upgrade to newer verson?

Thanks,
Dennis

You need at least nero 5.5.

If you use a NERO, which comes with some other drive as standard soft, it’s not gonna work with your new device. These kind of NERO versions works only with a drive, they are made for.

Finally after I installed Nero 6.3, Nero can detect the driver. However, the speed I can select from the list for CD-R is only 4X and 8X. I think for NEC 2510A, it can do 32X for CD-R. What could be wrong? Does it think it’s DVD-R and 8X is the most speed it can go???

Thanks,
Dennis

OK, after a few tries(burned some CD-Rs), Nero started to understand 32X is the speed it can go. So it’s fine now. Thanks everyone.

Dennis

my computer doesn’t recognize a double layer disc i have memorex dl disc