Help my 700mb 80min cdr is only 657mb

hello i use winxp and a sony crx0881 cd writer

my labelled 700mb 80 min cdr is detected as containing 657mb data only.

for my 800mb 90min cdr. it’s only 700mb.

what is the problem ?

well you 90 minute disc will only show up as an 80 minute because you have to use overburning to burn the full 90 minutes.

Are you sure there’s nothing on the cd-r?

What software are you using to see the size?

Does it do this with all of your 80minute cd-rs?

Are you sure there’s nothing on the cd-r?
>>CD is blank

What software are you using to see the size?
>> winxp AND nero

Does it do this with all of your 80minute cd-rs?
>> Unfortunately Yes :frowning:

:((((

make sure you have the newest version of nero.

have you tried to burn more than 657mb of data onto it?

Use the nero cd speed to do an overburning test on your cd-rs. Try testing it to 80 minutes.

If it comes back with no errors, it would seem like nero is just misreporting it for some reason. If no errors occur, i would try burning 80 minutes worht of stuff onto the disc.

If cd speed does tell you there were errors when doing the overburning test, is seems like you have some funky mislabeled cd-rs.

i believe the most current version of nero is 5.5.9.17. Upgrade to that, try it out and let me know what happens

do you also use some software like incd or directcd?
and did you first format these cd’s?

Didn’t know you had to format a CDR before using it…???CDRW’s yes…

you can use cd-rs with packet writing software. In my experience though, they usually screw up. I lost very important data using packet writing, and i would reccomend that nobody use it unless its an absolute emergency.

your comment doesn’t make any sense…packet writing software is for CDRW disks, NOT CDR’s…

try using cd-r identifier or feurio’s atip tool in order to check the absolute lead in / lead out times on the discs. that will tell you how long you can burn to them. then, set this time as the ‘overburn’ time by going to nero, and choosing file->preferences->expert features.

Originally posted by John Garin
your comment doesn’t make any sense…packet writing software is for CDRW disks, NOT CDR’s…

Roxio’s DirectCD does in fact support packet writing to CD-R. I don’t know about InCD, as I don’t use it, but I’d be surprised if it didn’t.

Ok, but I can’t see the purpose of it…

John

i have tried burning 716 mb into a 90min 800mb cd (reflected as 702mb in my system) nero started burning and then stops near the end. the burnt cd cannot be read after that.

the fault is not with the cdr.

i cannot understand why i am detecting lesser capacity than usual.

:frowning:

for what’s it worth. these are the drivers listed under winxp for my cd writer sony crx0811

cdrom.sys
imapi.sys
redbook.sys
storprop.dll

i also use nero 5.5.9.17
used to have incd but no more…(i think… nothing in the startup or systray or processes)

urgh !

i got another cdr from a friend. the 80min 700mb cdr is detected as 700mb …

this is really freakish.
my whole spindle of 700mb cdr and my new spindle of 800mb cdr
is incorrectly labelled (i think… or is there a compatibility problem.)

does anyone has problem with the brand

smart buy… 800mb cdr ?

====
thanks all for the help.
knocks self on the head

Originally posted by eng60340
[B]urgh !

i got another cdr from a friend. the 80min 700mb cdr is detected as 700mb … [/B]

That’s freakish alright. Did you validate the theory of the spindles being mislabled by seeing how they are detected in your friend’s burner?

ALL CD-R’S ARE DETECTED AS A MAXIMUM OF 700 MB! (windoze)

did you BOTHER to check the ATIP info on the discs? that will tell you RIGHT AWAY the maximum amount of data that can be put onto one of them. its not painful - you put it in, it tells you the absolute start time, the absolute end time. the absolute end time is the MAXIMUM AMOUNT OF TIME that the cd can be written to. if your discs are really only 700 mb, it should be something like 79:57.99 or thereabouts.

i dutifully downloaded feurio.

yep. it shows that
my supposedly 90min 800mb cdr == 80min
and my 80min 700cdr == 74 min

i will bring those cdr to my friend’s place to test.

knock self on head again

sorry bud :frowning: