Help! Microsoft is threatining to Sue Me

sorry, Mike for getting urself into trouble :frowning: and big finger ( u-know-what ) to all the corporation bullies :a

==============================================
News Tidbits by The Hindu - India`s National Newspaper Since 1878
on Thursday , January 20, 2004

A Microsoft row
Vancouver : Mike Rowe thinks it is funny that his catchy name for a website design company sounds a bit like Microsoft . The software giant, however, is not amused. “Since my name is Mike Rowe, I thought it would be funny to add ‘soft’ to the end of it,” said Rowe, a 17-year-old student in Victoria , British Columbia. Microsoft Corp. and its attorneys have demanded that he give up his domain name , mikerowesoft.com. Rowe registered the name in August . In November , he received a letter from Microsofts laywers informing him that he was commiting copyright infringement. He was advised to transfer the name to the corporation. "I did not thing they would get all their high-priced laywers to come after me," Mr.Rowe said . He wrote back asking to be compensated for giving up his domain . Microsofts lawyers offered him $10 . Then he asked for $10,000 . On Thursday , he received a 25-page letter accusing him of trying to force Microsoft into giving him a large settlement . — AP

I saw $1000 in one newsitem and $10000 now in the above newsitem… What is it ? :confused:

in a few newspostings he will be a millionair :bigsmile:

I literally just heard about this on the “Today” show in the U.S. Then I come here, and read this! Don’t worry: if it was on the “Today” show, you can bet that word has gotten around. It was a brief topic of conversation between my wife and me this morning: “Can you believe those ***holes going after someone like that?”; “Unfortunately, yes.”

Enough people hear about this, they’ll climb off your back.

Originally posted by damiandimitri
in a few newspostings he will be a millionair :bigsmile:

Well , the thing is … Is this all a big scam from Mike to get some attention and hopefully money ?

If so : Excellent work, but don’t except any more support from me.

The other thing is. Mike could get clobbered down by the same media he initiated in the first place. The media is somewhat like a spoiled 3 year old girl. You have to keep them happy every hour of the day , or they’ll lose interest , make up things or make you the bad guy in this whole matter.

If so : Excellent explanation , but give me proof of the truth. (For instance , 100% original scans of all the correspondence between him and mickeysoft)

Apparently the story is getting around.

http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2003Dec/gee20040108023374.htm

http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2004Jan/gee20040120023504.htm

Yes -

Mike Rowe and myself are both undergoing similar legal battles for the almost the same thing.

Mike Rowe took his a bit furthar to the media and it seemed to work.

Fact is I recieved my massive package from microsoft almost a week before Mike Rowe did.

I need help trying to get my story into the main stream media now.

If anyone can help be emailing the news site they visit regarding www.mikerosoft.ca I would really appriciate it.

Mike Morris

Microsoft has reached an agreement with Mike Rowe, the Canadian teenager who was using the Web site mikerowesoft.com in alleged violation of the Microsoft tradmark. Here are the details, as relayed to us by Microsoft spokesman Jim Desler. In exchange for Mike turning over the mikerowesoft.com domain to Microsoft, the company has:

Agreed to help direct any traffic from mikerowesoft.com to Rowe’s new Web site (which he’s currently working on) to make sure he doesn’t lose any business. The company will pay any out-of-pocket expenses related to this change, including cost associated with changing over to the new url and any other expenses. (The Rowe family is now calculating those expenses.)

Invited Mike and his family on to the Microsoft campus for the company’s Microsoft Research Tech Fest in March. The company will pay for the travel and accommodations. No promises, but it’s possible he could meet Bill Gates, depending on the Microsoft chairman’s schedule, Desler said.

Agreed to pay for Mike to get Microsoft Certification training. Depending on which courses he chooses, this could lead him to become a certified support technician, or system administrator, or something along those lines.

Agreed to give Mike a subscription to MSDN, the Microsoft Developer Network Web site, with various tools for developing software around Microsoft products.

Agreed to give Mike an Xbox game system, complete with a number of games of his choosing.

Said Desler: “It is a story of a young, bright kid starting a business, came up with a creative domain, and I think our initial step was maybe perhaps a bit too impersonal. Once we understood the circumstances around it, we wanted to work things out in a way that would be fair to him.” He said the company also wanted “to do things in a way that would foster his interest in technology.”

Said Kim Rowe, Mike’s father: “It’s nice that this is over, so that he can go back to being Michael. He still has school and if he fails, that’s six months of his life gone. He’s also setting up his new Web site so that things can get zipped over there quickly and it will be ready and stuff, because he’s going to get a whole whack of hits.”

Mike, in a brief phone interview this afternoon, said he feels “good” about the way things turned out. “I’m just looking forward to all the media going away,” he said. “I’m pleased that everything is over and we settled.”

thanks to www.blink.nu

Agreed to give Mike an Xbox game system, complete with a number of games of his choosing.

Righto … i think i’m gonna register some weird domain as well :slight_smile:

miker-o-shoft-of-fish

[B]Microsoft has reached an agreement with Mike Rowe, the Canadian teenager who was using the Web site mikerowesoft.com in alleged violation of the Microsoft tradmark. Here are the details, as relayed to us by Microsoft spokesman Jim Desler. In exchange for Mike turning over the mikerowesoft.com domain to Microsoft, the company has:

Invited Mike and his family on to the Microsoft campus for the company’s Microsoft Research Tech Fest in March. The company will pay for the travel and accommodations. No promises, but it’s possible he could meet Bill Gates, depending on the Microsoft chairman’s schedule, Desler said.

[/B]

:eek: :eek: :eek: enjoy Mike :slight_smile:

good luck to him too :smiley:
I can’t help feeling that MS got shocked by the amount of publicity and basically shit themselves into trying to make themselves look good.

Ananova running behind on this one:
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_859790.html?menu=news.quirkies

Mike, a 17-year-old high school senior and Web designer from Victoria, has angered the software giant by registering an Internet site with the address MikeRoweSoft.com. “Since my name is Mike Rowe, I thought it would be funny to add ‘soft’ to the end of it,” said Rowe. Microsoft, however, is not amused.

“I received an email from […] Microsoft’s Canadian lawyers, informing me that I have been committing copyright infringement against Microsoft. They told me that I must transfer my domain name over to Microsoft as soon as possible.”, states Rowe on his website.

Only last month we’ve seen a similar case where Microsoft was accusing a domain holder of copyright infringement and trademark confusion, when a web-based MSN Messenger service was asked to change its homepage URL.

A Microsoft spokesperson told ZDNet UK: “We appreciate that Mike Rowe is a young entrepreneur who came up with a creative domain name. We take our trademark seriously, but maybe a little too seriously in this case.”

The 17-year-old Canadian teenager who caught the attention of Microsoft’s lawyers by registering www.mikerowesoft.com, agreed Friday to give up his Web site in exchange from some perks from the world’s largest software maker.

Just when you thought it’s better not to mess with Microsoft they pull off something like this!

microsoft is s**t, their operating system is full of keyloggers and spyware. All microsoft software should be classified as spyware.

Originally posted by aaa_121uk
microsoft is s**t, their operating system is full of keyloggers and spyware. All microsoft software should be classified as spyware.

can i have any evidence of that ( ms windows having keyloggers ) ? if u preach it , r u using linux or any other operating system other than microsoft software.

Hope you enjoy your new XBox Mike - wanna trade any ripped games (only joking !!) :bigsmile:

…Just a thought

Maybe if you submit your story here as well, it may help you gain faster media recognition.

http://www.fuckbillgates.com

Sorry about the “F” curse but its part of the URL :rolleyes:

All for the money , All for the money , All for the money , All for the money. Money makes the world go round. All for the money

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere
All for the money , All for the money , All for the money , All for the money. Money makes the world go round. All for the money

That is F***ing INSANE!!! Why the HELL is that worth SO MUCH MONEY???

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere
[B]Well , the thing is … Is this all a big scam from Mike to get some attention and hopefully money ?

If so : Excellent work, but don’t except any more support from me.

The other thing is. Mike could get clobbered down by the same media he initiated in the first place. The media is somewhat like a spoiled 3 year old girl. You have to keep them happy every hour of the day , or they’ll lose interest , make up things or make you the bad guy in this whole matter.

If so : Excellent explanation , but give me proof of the truth. (For instance , 100% original scans of all the correspondence between him and mickeysoft) [/B]

well Mr. Belvedere u urself found ebay link for official mike rowe communication book . try buying that :stuck_out_tongue: