Help me with an ignorant friend!

:stuck_out_tongue:

Ok, the whole point of copy protections is to circumvent 1:1 copying.

The reason this community exists is to defeat these protections in order to backup your legitimate game. :smiley:

My friend is saying that I waste time here because its so easy to make 1:1 copies using a program that simply ‘copies sector for sector, 1s and 0s’.

But the way these copy protections work is to create bad sectors so that is impossible?

Basically, you can’t get easy 1:1 copies using a program like these due to protection, hence why this place exists.

Also, why can’t the software simply copy byte for byte, or copy the bad sectors so the game recognises it as the copy protection.

Anyway if you could just fill us in htat’d be great, thanks.

“Ok, the whole point of copy protections is to circumvent 1:1 copying”

NO, I would say it is aimed at a backup copy, where the protection scheme too is copied and reproduced 1:1
-Unfortunately, this is not the case always and circumvention without modifying or getting rid of the original protection is achieved

“The reason this community exists is to defeat these protections in order to backup your legitimate game”

Kinda, we don’t look to defeat, we look to include them and preserve as much of th eoriginal as possible, but once again, this is harder and harder.

For example, a safedisk 1.x or 2.4 game can be copied with the safedisk along, and when scanning the copy, a protection scanner will find safedisk protection now on the backup.

“My friend is saying that I waste time here because its so easy to make 1:1 copies using a program that simply ‘copies sector for sector, 1s and 0s’”

If its so easy why hasn’t anyone done it yet?

“But the way these copy protections work is to create bad sectors so that is impossible?”

This is just 1 of many possibilities depending ont the protection. Some use parts of the cd to calculate angles depending on where certain data is stored, some use weak secotrs, some use sub channels, old ones even used bad Table of Contents.
Just so so so many…

“Also, why can’t the software simply copy byte for byte, or copy the bad sectors so the game recognises it as the copy protection.”

Copying byte for byte doesnt work for several reasons. It also has to do with how the technology works. Read this exerpt regarding tages copy protection and the way that secotrs are read, Explorer, CD-ROM’s, nor any other PC program do not read things in a Row, as ou wouls count perfectly from 1…100, there is redundancy checking and many othe rfactors involved

check tages thread here:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51912

Hope this helped answer you some.

Tell your friend that if he gets a cd with CCD-Lock or a bad TOC that he will never be able to copy it to shut him down if he mouths off to you that you are wasting here.
He won’t even be able to get the CD-ROM to read it because you need a RAW mode read/write for that. CD-ROM just spins up like crazy on it. It will be fun and drive your friend mad…hehehe