Help me understand ATIP and backups not working on writers?

vbimport

I’ve never really encountered this problem, maybe some games I couldn’t backup/play back but from my understanding from here:

http://knowhow.cdfreaks.com/article.php?ID=122

The game can check if it is a backup copy because when it’s put in a writer, the writer can read the ATIP? What I want to know is what happens if you don’t have a CD-ROM? I have a DVD Rewriter and a Liteon 241012b CD rewriter. Will this need some kind of clone CD tray application? (I don’t have cloneCD, can I just run Alcohol and it takes care of it or do I need to set it up somehow?)

I am also confused because what is the difference between a CD that you burn at home, and the original CDs a game comes on? Aren’t they both the same kind of thing i.e. burned CDs? The originals have ATIP too? But those work fine on either of my drives without any kind of “hide media” thing…

Confused :confused:

Only recordable cd’s have an ATIP (this is used to identify the media), some copy protections check if the disc running the game/app have an ATIP, so they can know wether it’s played from a recordable or a pressed disc.

If you play the disc from a DVDROM, chances are very slim the ATIP will be detected, as almost all DVDROM drives can’t read ATIP. The same goes for most CDROM drives. If you only got writers in your system, you need to hide the ATIP/media from the game you want to play from a backup.

Oh ok so the original game CDs are made differently than from just using normal recordable CDs? Is there a link which shows the differences?

Originally posted by Humdinger
Oh ok so the original game CDs are made differently than from just using normal recordable CDs? Is there a link which shows the differences?

Well eh yes… as I said, the ATIP is something that is on every CDR.

Check this thread for more info on this subject!

hehe thanks for the info, I am newbie to this kinda detail lol