Help me need info sh-s182d

my drive is meant to be mrw for all media and it is for cds but with dvds it shows up as not mrw writable… but it formats them in 2 mins as its meant to with mrw… i am using InCD can any one give any advice or has any one the same problem… please help. need answers quick so i can send back drive if i need to. much appreciated!

Multi session is a real bad idea with DVDs. I’ve never tried it personally, but you can probably find plenty of horror stories of corrupt files and lost data in these forums.

Im talking bout mount rainier read/write…not multi session …
i thought that was clear…InCD i hear a lot of ppl say its crap and causes loads of problems and im sure it can if u have incompatible software but i only have good things to say bout it…its a very useful program i find…
no need to burn a cd or dvd each time u wanna write sumthing to one just drag and drop and let the software / hardware take over …and u can delete files without erasing ur media
a note on the sh-s182d drive…its tops here…though i have not tried it with dvd-r, but with all other media ive tried it does very good burns…not a hicup yet…and i love this mrw feature…format in bout 1 min ,before it took any where from 20 mins (cd) to 1 hour (dvd).
a top drive , a bit slow i grant but it gives excellent burns and reads, shame it cant read the lead in and out but hey thats not a biggy!

Hi and Welcome!

the issue you are experiencing might be software related.
Make sure, you use the latest version of InCD - if your drive came with Nero 6, you are entitled for a free upgrade to Nero 7 (see the sticky about that).

I personally prefer DVD-RAM together with Panasonic’s UDF drivers instead of InCD :slight_smile:

Michael

thank u mciahel, at least u understand what im talking bout…
i dont think its software related…i am using nero 6 and have nero 7 ,I prefer nero 6 at the moment , anyway even with nero 7 i have the same issue , my drive shows as non mount rainer writeable…but should be…but it formats the dvd-rw in bout 1-2 mins as it should with mrw. Before i had a msi drive without MRW and it used to take 1 hour to format a dvd-rw. anyhow i dont get it why is the drive showing up as non mrw writeable???
when i put in a cd though with nero 7 the drive changes to MRW read and write…
Put in a dvd+/-rw and it changes to non writeable just read…
but it formats the disk in a few mins… I am interested cause i believe MRW has a built in defect block management thingy and i wonder if it still works in this situation!
any other bodies have a clue…?

Hi,

see my comment below :wink:

i dont think its software related…i am using nero 6 and have nero 7 ,I prefer nero 6 at the moment , anyway even with nero 7 i have the same issue , my drive shows as non mount rainer writeable…but should be…but it formats the dvd-rw in bout 1-2 mins as it should with mrw. Before i had a msi drive without MRW and it used to take 1 hour to format a dvd-rw. anyhow i dont get it why is the drive showing up as non mrw writeable???

I have to admit, that I am not familiar with MRW at all, so I checked the Wikipedia. According to this, MRW should work with CD-RW and DVD[B]+[/B]RW. Could you please try a DVD+RW disc instead of a DVD-RW?

Michael

yeah i have tried a dvd+rw and it says when i put the disk in that the drive does not do mrw…but when i put in a cd is says it does…
i dont get it at all but my disks are being formatted in 1-2 mins
u see bout the dvd-rw before it used to take 1 hour to format a disk with a drive that had no MRW…an MSI DR8-A2 and now with my sh-s182d it takes 1 min and then i can use the disk which is a vast improvement.
i see u have the same drive sh-s182d… anyways
i have the latest firmware s06 and the drive works very well so far , i wonder how long it will keep up for…?
i dont get this mrw thing at all but the disks are being formated in 1 min so i guess something is working in my favour.i was wondering does anyone else use formatted disks and do they have the same thing going on with this drive and MRW as i do?
thanks again mick for ur input ,how do u find the sh-s182d?

Hi

sorry, I can’t help here :frowning:
But maybe you can help me to see if I run into the same problem. Could you please give me some detailed information what I’ll have to do and what results should be expected.

thanks again mick for ur input ,how do u find the sh-s182d?
It’s a good drive, but I won’t feed it with DVD-R discs.

Michael

sure ,
just have Incd installed to format ur disks. put in a cd-rw, making sure u got mrw check boxes in drive properties, Incd and Incd options checked for format in MRW.
u can then format that disk (cd-rw) in MRW no prooblem…
now put in a dvd+rw…the check box in Incd options…incd4 …is greyed out like the drive does not support this feature…and if ur using incd5 under the drive tab it will say drive only reads mrw, no write…
try it for ur self and see if u get the same results as i do .
i have not feed the drive any dvd-r yet only dvd+r any +rw , -rw and cds -r, -rw
i wanna get my hands on 1 or 2 dvd-r just to see what happens , surly s06 firmware would of fixed the problems i read bout by now…??
anyway i dont wanna buy 10 or 20, just 1 or 2 to test the drive but nowhere sell individually only in packs so ill have to wait till i come across them…but am eagar to test
thank for ur help mick…hope u try out incd and MRW to see if u have the same result
let me know how u got on
once again thanks!

Hi,

Okay with CD-RW, not greyed out with DVD-RW, just formatting (not quick format), takes some time :confused:
The check box is greyed out if I insert a DVD+RW, but formatting went faster.

let me know how u got on
Stay tuned, I will edit this post if I have newer results. :slight_smile:
First pic: blank disc
Second: Formatting (MRW offered)
Third: after formatting

And these are the screenshots for a DVD+RW disc (no MRW offered):
This is btw InCD 4.3.20.1 (from Nero 6.6) on a W2k system