Help me move a program from one computer to another

vbimport

My wife has a “Creative Memories Album Maker” program that she’s been working on for the past year. This program is loaded on our old, slow computer and it doesn’t move fast enough for her…or me for that matter.

So, I’d like to move everything (including her two desktop icons) from this program/application over to our newer, faster computer that’s running Windows XP Home. The old computer also uses XP Home…the old computers processor is 1.5GHz verses 2.8GHz on the new…and 512MB of SDRAM DIMM memory verses 2GB of DDR2 memory.

So, I’d like everything that’s on the old computer to show up on the new computer the very same way it does on the old computer.

I also want the desktop icons to be active and take her into the program/application just as a new install of the program would do.

BTW, we do have the application disk for this software…I definitely don’t want to lose any data in her album program. She has a years work involved on the old computer.

What is the best and easiest way to get EVERYTHING (including the program’s desktop icons) over to our new computer?

I copied the relatively small (less than 6GB) program onto my GB flash drive and downloaded it onto the new computer…BUT, the desktop icons are not there to link her to the applications (there are two desktop icons for this program).

How can I get this done for her and surprise her when she comes home? Thanks to all who respond and try to help.

Note: These two computers are connected via a hard wire network.

Why not just take the HD out of the old system, and add it to the new system…

You will have to do an install of the program on the new pc, you say you still have the original disk so that won’t be a problem. You can’t just copy the program from one pc to another because the install usually adds some registry keys, some .dll’s, etc. which don’t get copied, but are needed to run the program. Also, an install will add the desktop icons. You will, however, need to copy all of the data files that have been created over to the new pc, make note of the folders they are in now and put them in the same folders on the new pc. Good luck.

The best way to move a software to a different machine is installing it again from scratch.

A software can be moved on a different machine only if it is “portable”, i.e. no installation is required.

You can try to copy the full directory on the new machine, but most software usually create also other directories scattered on HDD containing templates, temporary files, and so on. If you can find all these folders, you can try to copy also these on the new machine, but there is no warranty that the software will be working correctly.

In fact. when a software is installed there are also some registry entry created and some components require to be “registered” (I don’t know what this “registration” is exactly, but I know that if this is not done during the installation the software cannot work correctly).

The only thing that you can move safely are all created files. If you saved all your custom files on a separate folder, then you need only to copy the folder on another HDD.

My suggestion is to do the following:

[ul]
[li]Install again the software on the new machine
[/li][li]Run the software in both old and new machine
[/li][li]Open the preference window and copy all settings from the old machine in the new machine. In this way any customization done in the old machine will be created also in the new installation
[/li][li]Copy all custom data created in the old machine, like templates, backgrounds, etc in the new machine
[/li][li]Don’t delete the software from the old machine for a while, until you are sure that everything is available in the new machine, and just in case you need to check some settings or other files.
[/li][/ul]

About shortcuts in the desktop, you can create them manually. Simply right click on the desktop and select “New --> Shortcut”. Navigate to the folder containing the software, and select the .exe file you want to run from the shortcut. That’s all :slight_smile:

The original HD in the old computer has soooo much junk on it (which was loaded over a 7-year period since the day I bought it Oct 2001) that I hate to do that to my new machine harley.

I forgot to mention that “her” program was installed on a new HD that I installed a year ago so she would have a clean HD to work with from the start. This new HD contains less than 13GB of her program and data.

Could I “clone” the new HD that contains her software/program onto an external HD via USB then clone that HD to the new computer’s HD?.

Whappo, did you see my response to harley? Would that work or will the registry, dll’s, etc. still be a problem?

Also, an install will add the desktop icons.
I already installed the program Whappo.

You will, however, need to copy all of the data files that have been created over to the new pc, make note of the folders they are in now and put them in the same folders on the new pc. Good luck.
I’m not sure I follow this Whappo…could you explain.

That’s what I was afraid of geno…

The only thing that you can move safely are all created files. If you saved all your custom files on a separate folder, then you need only to copy the folder on another HDD.

I’ll have to check (or compare) the contents of each drive and see what is missing…is that what you’re saying? I don’t think there’s a separate folder as you mentioned.

My suggestion is to do the following:

[ul]
[li]Install again the software on the new machine[/li]> [li]Run the software in both old and new machine[/li]> [li]Open the preference window and copy all settings from the old machine in the new machine. In this way any customization done in the old machine will be created also in the new installation[/li]> [li]Copy all custom data created in the old machine, like templates, backgrounds, etc in the new machine[/li]> [li]Don’t delete the software from the old machine for a while, until you are sure that everything is available in the new machine, and just in case you need to check some settings or other files.[/li]> [/ul]

I’ll see if I can do this. Sounds like it might work. Thanks to everyone…and stay tuned, I’m sure I’ll need more advice on this once I get into it.