Help me identify this unit please!

I got this DVD +/-RW DL writer on sale ($50). It’s probably not great but for the money it should be enough for me. However, the main problem I have is that I’m using / watching both US and European DVD’s and the sucker only allows 4 region changes. So I need to flash it, or whatever it is I need to do to solve this problem. But I don’t know what brand it REALLY is. I got it from CompUSA under the name of HI-VAL. Here are the specs:

======================================
Drive Information

Drive : GENERIC DVD RW 12XMax
Type : DVD±R/RW DL Recorder
Firmware Version : 100i
Buffer Size : 2 MB
Date : 04-07-09
Serial Number
Vendor Specific : 04/07/09 Ì]
Drive Letter : D:
Mechanism : Tray
Read Speed : 10.0 X
Write Speed : 12.0 , 4.0 , 2.0 , 1.0 X

Read CD Text : Yes
Return C2 Pointers : Yes
Read CD-R : Yes
Read CD-RW : Yes
Read DVD-ROM : Yes
Read DVD-RAM : No
Read DVD-R : Yes
Read DVD-RW : Yes
Read DVD+R : Yes
Read DVD+RW : Yes
Read DVD+R DL : Yes
Read Digital Audio : Yes
Read CD+G : Yes
Read VideoCD : Yes

Write CD-R : Yes
Write CD-RW : Yes
Write DVD-R : Yes
Write DVD-RW : Yes
Write DVD+R : Yes
Write DVD+RW : Yes
Write DVD+R DL : Yes
Write DVD-RAM : No
Buffer Underrun Protection : Yes
Mount Rainier : No
Modes : Packet, TAO, DAO, SAO, RAW SAO, RAW SAO 16, RAW SAO 96

Region Protection Control : RPC II
Region : 1
Changes User : 4
Changes Vendor : 4

Anyone knows what this thing REALLY is? or what program I could use to ID it?

THX for any suggestions.

there are two freeware programs that might ID it.

PC Wizard get it here

http://www.cpuid.com/pcw

and AIDA 32

http://aumha.org/downloads/aida32.zip

The problem is not identifying the DVDRW unit at all! If you identified it then you would have your 4 changes left anyway…

If you watch both US and EU DVD-Videos you can use AnyDVD which descrambles the CSS protection in the background and makes your system recognize any DVD-Video as region free - so you will avoid flashing.

I wonder what quality a generic drive like this (whose manufacturers have even not added their brand…) will be…

I’d guess at it possibly being an Artec - VOM12E48X - not highly regarded, and not yet attended by any tweakers.
Oops, that one isn’t DL capable.

My first CD writer was a Hival - they rebrand ANYTHING, you really cannot assume any particular core.

Thanks for the help so far. I did some further research and I suspect this may be an OptoRite DD1205 (similar to 1203) but the flash from Optorite says “no support for this device”. So I’m still looking.
Also the unit does not support bitsetting. Hmmm…
Here’s the labels on it. Maybe there’s some info you can use on them.

Well, if your unit does not support bitsetting then I would say you are out of luck unless you mount a modchip on your PS2 to make it accept recordable disks too (don’t know if it exists, however). Yes, as you said it may be the OptoRite DD1205 because of the model number… I don’t know other brands having such one.

If the drive is still in warranty maybe you can return them to your dealer and get a better one… I guess its price was about 50$. For 30 more bucks you can get a great NEC 3500!

Maybe you can confirm it’s an Optorite by comparing with this review from CDR Labs.

It is the Accesstek DD1203 or DD1205.

You can tell by the ‘i’ on the end of the firmware, Optorite drives have ‘e’. Also, Accesstek models are called “GENERIC” while Optorite drives should be “ATAPI”.

There is not a public patch yet, but you can request a beta patch from TDB if you want to be the first to try one.

Well, I guess the bottom line is: no bitsetting + region lock = better get something else. Back to the store it goes.
Thanks everyone. :bow: