Help me find an All in One with disc printing

vbimport

I’m looking for an all in one printer, but I’m looking for two things in particular:

I want it to be able to print on to Printable CD/DVD’s
I want it to do Duplex Printing (i’m environmentally friendly!)

My parents have a Cannon ip4300 which isnt an all in one (it has the other things), however I really like the printer, so something like that would do the trick…

My budget is around £75 (£100 maximum), but the less the best

Anyone got any suggestions?

TIA :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=vaderag;2082814]I’m looking for an all in one printer, but I’m looking for two things in particular:

I want it to be able to print on to Printable CD/DVD’s
I want it to do Duplex Printing (i’m environmentally friendly!)

My parents have a Cannon ip4300 which isnt an all in one (it has the other things), however I really like the printer, so something like that would do the trick…

My budget is around £75 (£100 maximum), but the less the best

Anyone got any suggestions?

TIA :)[/QUOTE]

IP4500 print engine is a bit better than the IP4300. You’ll find that same print engine in the MP610. Also duplexing and dual paper feeds.
The MP530 has a document feeder and all the above, but it has the older print engine, like the IP4300.

The MP530 doesnt print on to CD’s tho does it? (http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Multifunctionals/Inkjet/PIXMA_MP520/index.asp)

The 610 looks ace, but i dont really need a fancy LCD display etc (tho i take it most of these will come with one), but i guess that pushes the price up… a little bit out of my budget :frowning:

P.S. Apologies for the change of username - i tried to change my e-mail address and the system has now locked me out and wont allow me to re-activate my account - always sends me to the registration page. E-mailed for help and no reply, so had to re-register to view the forums

I’m in the US, and here we have to “enable” the units to print on CD’s/DVD’s.
Anyway, here’s our “list” of Canon printers that can be enabled :

Tray A= i865, i965, i9900 (these models also require a CDR tray feeder)

Tray B= iP3000, iP4000, iP5000, iP6000, iP6000D, iP8500, MP750, MP760, MP780 (These models require Rollers.)

Tray C= iP4200, iP5200, iP6600D, iP6700D, MP950

Tray D= MP500, MP530, MP800, MP830

Tray F= iP4300, iP4500, iP5300, MP 600, MP 610, MP810, MP 960, MP970, MX850

Tray E= Pro9000, Pro9500

The point being, for those in the UK, most of these printers (some are out of production), should be fully equipped to print CD’s right out of the box.

[QUOTE=vaderaguk;2083318]The MP530 doesnt print on to CD’s tho does it? (http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Multifunctionals/Inkjet/PIXMA_MP520/index.asp)

The 610 looks ace, but i dont really need a fancy LCD display etc (tho i take it most of these will come with one), but i guess that pushes the price up… a little bit out of my budget :frowning:

P.S. Apologies for the change of username - i tried to change my e-mail address and the system has now locked me out and wont allow me to re-activate my account - always sends me to the registration page. E-mailed for help and no reply, so had to re-register to view the forums[/QUOTE]
AFAIK, the MP530 does print discs, but you should satisfy yourself about that. It really boils down to which print engine you want. The cheaper AIO units do not print discs as a rule, or they contain the cheaper print engine. I’d go for the MP610 or an IP4500.

MP610 is a great machine, it would be my recommendation for a capable AIO.
It replaces MP600, another great unit.
You may be able to find a seller that has an MP600 on clearance.

[QUOTE=CDan;2083349]AFAIK, the MP530 does print discs, but you should satisfy yourself about that. It really boils down to which print engine you want. The cheaper AIO units do not print discs as a rule, or they contain the cheaper print engine. I’d go for the MP610 or an IP4500.[/QUOTE]

What are the differences in the print engine? (I assume by print engine you mean the built in software?)

[QUOTE=vaderaguk;2083826]What are the differences in the print engine? (I assume by print engine you mean the built in software?)[/QUOTE]

“Print engine” refers to the hardware. The head, tanks and controlling firmware/drivers, etc.

The MP530 and MP600 use the older engine with fewer nozzles and slower speeds. Unless you are a demanding photo printer, you won’t notice much difference in quality. The drivers are a little different as well, offering different selections for paper and other settings, but again the difference is small.

Ok, thanks. Moving away from cannon, are there any better models at lower prices from other manufacturers?

[QUOTE=vaderaguk;2083856] are there any better models at lower prices from other manufacturers?[/QUOTE]
Not better, for sure.

If you plan to do a lot of printing, the cost of the machine is secondary to the cost of running it. You might get a cheaper Epson, for example, but it will cost more to operate.

See if you can find an MP500 or MP600 for cheap. Keep in mind that an MP500 has the cheaper 4 tank print system with lower print quality. Disc printing seems to be reserved for the mid and high-end models. You may actually come out ahead on price by buying a plain printer and getting a cheap scanner separately. The IP-4500 is pretty cheap. Of the AIO models, the MP-610 is the cheapest.

Can you get replacement non-official cartridges that are already chipped for the cannon’s yet?

[QUOTE=vaderaguk;2087056]Can you get replacement non-official cartridges that are already chipped for the cannon’s yet?[/QUOTE]

Nobody has been able to make a compatible chip, yet. There’s one or 2 that make the claim, but results are mixed.

If you must have compatible tanks and Canon, look for an IP4000 or IP5000 used. But be prepared to shell out some cash.

[QUOTE=vaderaguk;2087056]Can you get replacement non-official cartridges that are already chipped for the cannon’s yet?[/QUOTE]
Atlantic inkjet has been at this for quite some time with very good results.
As it turns out, they were one the first to deploy a commercial-class resetter for the Canon chipped carts.
http://www.atlanticinkjet.com/inkjet-cartridge-canon-PIXMA-MP610.asp
Atlantic supports refiller/resellers and consumers alike. Their products/services will take you as deep as you want to go.

As for consumer-grade Canon chip resetters and non-OEM chips, this is the bleeding edge:

I’m presently still using unchipped carts which cost me about $1.00 per each to home-refill, and the above makes me feel much better about the future.

Thanks for all the help - i’ve just ordered myself a brand new MP610 for 90quid delivered from Euroffice with Quidco, so i’m happy :slight_smile:

good thread :slight_smile:

how do CD Freaks rate the [U]HP Photosmart C5280[/U] multifunction photo printer, please? i also want something which will simply print on a disc - one of those matt coated, blank discs, designed for being printed on, i think?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/136250/hp_photosmart_c5280.html

thanks,

R

[QUOTE=kr236rk;2092475]good thread :slight_smile:

how do CD Freaks rate the [U]HP Photosmart C5280[/U] multifunction photo printer, please? i also want something which will simply print on a disc - one of those matt coated, blank discs, designed for being printed on, i think?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/136250/hp_photosmart_c5280.html

thanks,

R[/QUOTE]
Go with a Canon MP-610. HP drivers and software are really crappy. In the USA, you’ll have to enable disc printing on the Canon, but it’s easy to do.

thanks CDan.

will look at this

:wink:

R

[QUOTE=kr236rk;2092767]thanks CDan.

will look at this

:wink:

R[/QUOTE]

[I]hmm,[/I] looks cool - are there compatible inks, please?

:cool:

Please see post #13 in this thread.
I would be very tempted to use genuine Canon inks for the duration of the warranty period.

However, if you choose to go with inks other than genuine Canon they must be of very high quality and recommended by experienced Canon users.
To maintain electronic ink level monitoring the cartridge chips must be properly reset. This important item narrows your aftermarket ink choices significantly.

Again, it’s all in post #13.