Help me choose between these video cards for Dell

vbimport

Hello, I’m helping a friend ordering a Dell Dimension 9150 which is onsale until tomorrow http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/hot_offers_dt?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

It is for her school and the school will reimburse partly (must be a Dell).

We can’t decide between these video cards:

• 128MB PCI Expressâ„¢ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon X300 SE HyperMemory [Included in Price] Dell Recommended
  • 256MB nVidia Geforce 7300LE TurboCache [add $40 or $2/month2]
  • 256MB PCI Expressâ„¢ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) nVidia GeForce 6800 [add $150 or $4/month2]
  • 256MB Nvidia GeForce 7800 GTX [add $430 or $12/month2]
  • 512MB ATI Radeon X1900 XTX [add $600 or $16/month2]

I think its obvious the choices are either ATI Radeon X300 SE or nVidia 7300 LE. But would like to hear some other opinions, maybe just take the default (x300) and buy other card online (cheap but better) and sell the x300? She will use it for graphics software but not too heavy like games.

thanks.

ATI all in wonder: :iagree:
If they don’t allow that ditch the Dell concept, There almost as bad as Gateways. Build you own system 2/3 less the price; get what you want or need, and no hassles. Another school promoting a system based on dollars, not usefulness. Like promoting coke or Pepsi, they get a cut of the action.

All in wonder, you get a tv tuner card and connection’s to allow you to transfer video around to the way you want to. All my systems have it.

Unfortunately it’s easier for her to buy a ready made PC. Also tech support in her college can help if its a Dell PC. They have Dells all over the college so that might be the reason.

Also, she will use it for a dual monitor setup so I guess ATI AIW is not an option. Any other ideas?

Which is better, the X300 SE or GeForce 7300 LE? Or other similar priced cards?

Hi :slight_smile:
While personally I’d not get a Dell. In your friends situation, maybe Dell makes sense for them. In this case ATI Radeon X300 SE is as good as it gets in terms of value/performance for your money.

Well if I was you I would get a 256MB Nvidia GeForce 7800 GTX.

I too would go for the X300 SE :iagree:…but I’m kind of an ATi girl anyway.

I’m pretty much sick of ATI. There always seems to be some kind of problem with the drivers no matter how up-to-date they are. I have a 9800 AIW and I’m tired of it already. I just bought a BFG Geforce 7900 GTX 512 and it seems great so far. I’d buy the 7800 if I were you.

I also have a 9800 AIW and no such problems…

Thanks for the responses so far.

So nobody recommends GeForce 7300LE?

I have the 9600XT and it’s been great. I’m trying to get a comparison table between 9600XT (AGP 8x) and X300 SE but can’t seem to find one. Just wanted to get a feel how they compare.

The system that Dell offers will cost “only” $699 including 19" LCD, free shipping and no tax (college tax exempt) so upgrading to 7800 ($400) is too much. :sad:

Hey,

The ATI X300 has worked with the 9150 or Dell XPS 400 without a lot of problems and has proved its performance…the 7300 LE is a recent launch as far as Dell is concerned…the X300 Hypermemory has a good performance especially with dual displays…If you are opting for a 9150/XPS400 the ATI x300 Hypermemory is value for money. If you want comparison charts…

this is the 7300 LE with Dell
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/video/P109638/en/index.htm

and this is the X300
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/video/p66690/en/index.htm

You can compare other cards shipped by dell at support.dell.com and select user guides for Video cards…PCI E 16x.