Help me choose a DVD burner 4 ripping DVD movies

vbimport

Hi there, I am trying to choose a DVD writer that will help me back up my DVD movies. I simply want to be able to copy movies using probably SHRINK and NERO. Which DVD burner would be my best choice…there are so many mixed reviews.

Leaning towards:

NEC 3500
LG 4160
BENQ 1620
Pioneer

Help please! My head is spinning with all these features and terms. I have been doing my research, but I am not sure which is the best for my purposes.

Hi there, I am trying to choose a DVD writer that will help me back up my DVD movies. I simply want to be able to copy movies using probably SHRINK and NERO. Which DVD burner would be my best choice…there are so many mixed reviews.

Leaning towards:

NEC 3500
LG 4160
BENQ 1620
Pioneer

Help please! My head is spinning with all these features and terms. I have been doing my research, but I am not sure which is the best for my purposes.

Also, here are my specs…

I have a Toshiba M1712 (should I keep it or replace it?) Will I use it with my new burner?

I also have:

2.53 MHZ P4
512 MB PC2700 DDR
Plextor plexwriter CD burner
80 GB WD Hard Drive that is about 50% full.

Do your home work and read the reviews and these thread you will find your answer. People can’t make decision for you.

I have done so much homework I am getting nauseated. I have read thousands of reviews and opinions. Everything conflicts. I am not sure…this morning I was about to buy an LG…now I am leaning NEC…now I am researching BENQ a little more.

HELP!

If its so close to call, get a benq because it has a couple cool features like the light stays on when theres a disc inside, and it turns red when writing. These dont sound like much but when you get used to having them its pretty nice, really.

BenQ in my experience is an awesome reader, as well as a writer and it can do disc quality testing if you’re interested in that sort of thing. Really, as far as DVD-Burners go these days you can’t go wrong getting a BenQ. The LED’s really aren’t anything the special - heck, my Lite-On LDW-451S has LED’s that changed color. Not that important to me as long as the drive works well and the BenQ does just that. :slight_smile:

Some terms that I am not sure are important to me or not are:

PI/PIF testing?
Bitsetting?

Are these importatn if I am simply making a backup copy of a DVD movie using Shrink or decrypter and NERO?

Thank you.

Also, you say that I can’t go wrong with a BENQ…can I go wrong with an NEC?

Am I just going in circles for nothing or all they all good burners for making dvd movie copies?

BenQ and NEC are both good burners in their own right. I own both, they both do a fine job.

PI/PIF testing is the disc quality scanning I’m talking about accessible in Nero CD/DVD Speed with the BenQ. The NEC can not do PI/PIF testing of any sort even though people are making attempts to get NEC to add this support to the drive in the future firmware revisions.

Bitsetting is for DVD+R, DVD+RW, and DVD+R9 (Dual-Layer DVD+R’s). DVD-R can not use bitsetting. Basically what Bitsetting does is change the format of the written disc from DVD+R, DVD+RW, or DVD+R9 to DVD-ROM. This makes the +R media types more compatible in certain stand-alone players. This mainly effects older units as well as possibly game consoles. The BenQ will do bitsetting out of the box. The NEC needs a modified firmware for this. The firmware my NEC is running is the Mad Dog 2.FA SE firmware which let’s the drive enable bitsetting on all those formats. :slight_smile:

Really, it’s a tough call. I guess I’d just say you’ll probably be happy either way - the big thing is pick media that is good from the get go (Taiyo Yuden for instance) and you should be in good shape. The Pioneer, Plextor and new Lite-On drives I really can’t give an honest unbiased opinion on because I haven’t used those drives. :slight_smile:

Crossposted threads merged…

Thank you for your info…still wondering if the bitsetting is even important as I plan on using the DVDs in a fairly new DVD player.

I have read that NEC is faster at reading and writing.

Also, is this PIF scan important? Will I use it?

I had the LG 4120 and now have the NEC 3500. Using the stock firmware in both burners, the LG took 17:41 to rip a movie using DVD Decrypter and the NEC took 31:42 to rip the same movie. Modified firmware improved the NEC to 19:43.

The most important thing to me is ripping speed. Are there drives which are significantly faster than the LG at ripping?

Maybe this will help you make a buy… Go with I/O Magic IDVD16DD at Circuit City, $99.00 with a $30.00 rebate, 69.00 for a DL drive at a retail store isn’t bad and you can flash it to BENQ B7TP. I really don’t think you will be sorry with that drive. Oh no biggie, but you do get a Tan and Black face plate and all the Nero software you will need.

Just for info… The sell is in store only, you can’t get it on the net.

While I have seen a lot of hacked firmware to get around riplock (this will help your NEC a lot) I have not yet seen a burner that will read faster than the AOpen 1648 AAP. Keep in mind that DL and SL times will vary quite a bit, but I have yet to see a DL disc that took me longer than 12 minutes. This is with stock firmware. The next step up would be the Liteon series with one of the codeguys firmware. A lot of us have one drive for ripping, one drive for scanning and one for burning.

Well for my experience so far with my SOHW-832S DL DVD Burner that would be one I recommend why I burned 1:1 DVD movies on DL disk and burned 1:1 of protected games. But I did use some software to help on this process CloneCD, AnyDVD, CLoneDVD2. I used clonecd to make image of the CD or DVD and then with AnyDVD running by default it bypassed the copy protection. Then used clonecd to burn the image back to the DL disk for a 1:1 exact copy of the original. The only big cost investment was to spend for the DL disk-but they are getting cheaper if you by online. And to use Shrink and Nero I haven’t really looked into that as you will loose something in the compression making it find a smaller 4.7G dvd compared to movie 8.5G dvd. So for me the better investment is for 832S DL burner with latest firmware and DL disk or CD disk to burn copy protected games. Oh btw, I did burn to DVD-ROM so it played on three different DVD home players. That the ultimate test to me that the process worked.

A burner for ripping movies? Oh oh.

Buy a cheap DVD-ROM.

Based on my experience, buy BenQ and use DVD+R media and use the BenQ Book Type Management software. You would’nt go wrong…and besides Benq DVD+R media always go on sale…