Help me choice a laptop

vbimport

hallo, I just do not find my way in picking a laptop: used for writing articles and phd text;powerpoint;excell;filemakerpro;photo’s and illustrating my articles; internet; not too heavy work a lot in archives and libraries - no games or video - who can give me good advice? price ± 1299 euro

for stuff that simple, get an Apple PowerBook G4…the 15incher starts at US$1,999…just a little above your price point. you’ll appreciate the simplicity and ease of use…especially with the new version of OS X/Tiger coming out in 10 days.

toshiba satellite pro

Dell Inspirion 9300 - German

Dell Inspirion 9300 - UK

Hi and be welcome :slight_smile:

Of course there are many ways to go. Do you want a slim device? Is a low powerconsumtion required?

Thing is, what you describe can in fact be done by any modern laptop. The 1300€ budget allows quite a nice one, but for 500€ less, you can get one that suffies as well.

So if you want to pull out the extra cash, you might as well get a good laptop for that price. You could get a Centrino-based model (quite good performance and low battery usage!), a desktop replacement laptop (that means high energy consumption thus not suited for extensive mobile use, but fast hardware as well) or a tiny laptop that doesn’t perform that good but is small of size and not too heavy to carry around all day.

It’s all about preferences ;).

(I have a such a desktop replacement one… although the battery never lasts more than 2 hours -ideal situation!-, it’s still very useable after three years, as it’s fitted with quite fast hardware for the time I bought it)

apple…yuk :wink:

yea yea :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

may be hard to believe, but they’ve got a some good products these days and OS X is a very good OS.

yeah, but everything is still propriatary or made buy a very limited number of sources. makes hardware/software upgrades very expensive. also, with mt pc’s i can usually find free software to do what i need with an apple i would pay through the nose…

apple’s may ultimatly be technically superior, but they are a money pit and have a very limited support base.

im not gonna hijack this thread with the Apple/Mac versus PC debate…it’s a tired one.

for the uses stated and if the user doesn’t want to mess around with hardware/software configurations all the time, it’s a reasonable choice.

laptops are a little more proprietary than desktops but the same upgrade/expense nightmares exist for PC notebooks (how many people tinker around much with their notebooks? how come people don’t build their own like they do desktops?). there is a plethora of freeware/shareware for OS X…plus you can run linux if you want, so there goes the pay through the nose argument.

i notice you own at least 2 pc’s…how many mac’s do you own… (;

also, to stay on topic…check out abspc.com…they make great comp/laptops. if you want the most features for your $$$ take a look at hp.

i have 3 PCs (one semi-retired) now partly because of circumstance, partly because of cost, and partly because i wanted to build my own machines. i have owned (either directly or in my immediate family) and used extensively a total of 7 macs (4 laptops, 3 desktops). OS X is leaps and bounds superior to any Mac OS prior and is a completely different computing experience. the mac i use most these days is a 12in Powerbook G4 which does anything/everything i need WELL when not needing my Counter-Strike fix.

back on topic, Fujitsu laptops are known for their quality and performance.

lol…mabey, what i dislike most about macs are that they are too cute. when ever i see one it conjures to mind images of bubble baths and flowers…

on topic, take notice that noone so far has reccomended a dell…

H3rB3i did…why? i don’t know.

this is a sweet looking laptop if you ask me:

did i forget to mention the sounds of birds singing and cozy candlelight dinners for two??

argghhh…you made me get into the stupid debate…didn’t you…you…you…you spry little fly you.

sony vaio’s are good too.

Because they are not bad in my opinion :wink:

Well, not an easy question because of many reasons. I have been using Laptops since 1988 (first one was a REIN Electronic (Japan), extremely good portable). Some companies have a lot of experience in the field of portable PCs, like Toshiba, Compaq, etc.
Compaq and HP are almost the same, as Compaq is owned by HP. Toshiba always has been one of the best and one of the more expensive brands. Nowdays it is changing, Toshiba has the same price as others.

I have tried a number of brands (Toshiba, Compaq, HP, Fujitsu-Siemens, Acer) for a longer period of time and I am convinced that there is no “best choice”, if you look at the same category of Notebooks. You can not settle even with one brand that you like for this or that reason as manufactures tend to change - for instance - the brand of the main parts in the same Notebook.

So, I would settle for a manufacture with a known experience in the field of Notebooks and that has knowledge in LCD monitor production (important, if you have a chance to compare).

My list of preferences:

1. Acer
  2. Toshiba
  3. Dell
  4. Fujitsu-Siemens
  5. Compaq/HP

I’ll toss in IBM too. They are, in my opinion, the best built notebooks. Unfortunetly they don’t do wide or glossy screens if you are looking for that. Also their DVD burners are slow and expensive since they use the super slim drives. If you are looking for thin and light, the Fujitsu S series is very good. Like IBM, they are well built. Also have one of the best screens.

:bigsmile: …hehehehe…hook, line, and sinker.