Help m8s, I get only bad burns

vbimport

Hello m8s

I have been trying to find a good brand of discs here in NORWAY that doesn't break my bank, but I have only been able to find bad discs!
I have a Liteon LDW-811s with the last firmware (HS0J) and before I have had a Pioneer A04 (don't have it anymore). Have tried with the following media:

(tested with KProbe 1.28, burner named at the end of each line)
All discs were burned with Nero 6.3.0

Fortis 2X DVD-R: PI Max: 1200 PO Max: 120. Only coasters. Liteon.
This is the info from DVD identifier for this media:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R: Dvsn]

Disc Type : [DVD-R]
Manufacturer ID : [Dvsn]
Disc Application Code : [Unrestricted Use : Consumer Purpose]
Recording Speeds : [1x - 2x - 4x]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4,489.3 MB = 4.38 GB]

[DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com]

Verbatim DatalifePlus DVD-R printable (Mitsubishi): PI Max: 57 PO Max: 5. Some good, some cosaters. Pioneer A04

Ricoh DVD+R: PI Max: 113 PO Max: 105. Liteon. They appear to read well in my Pioneer 106 DVD-ROM and my KISS stand alone, but the ammount of P0 errors worries me!

Smartbuy DVD-RW 1X: They read in the KISS stand alone, they are very difficult to read in the Pioneer 106 DVD-ROM. Scratching noises when loading them there! Pioneer A04. I have a question about this media:

• Is it bad for a drive when it makes scracting noises when trying to read the disc? My Pioneer 106 DVD-ROM makes this "TA-TA-TA-CRAAACK!" noise when trying to read DVD-RW burned these discs. The Liteon 811s and my KISS stand alone read them well though.

Can you give me a hand here? I would need to buy online because in my town there is not so much offer of DVD media.

Thanks a lot m8s.

I have treid the new firmware too and it always seems to make readable disks but the error level seemed high most of the time to me also. I think the earlier HSOE burned my RITEKGO4 - much better so I went back to a version of it and the quality is much better. It also burns to the included +rw with low errors at 4x.
You might have to use the bin file and MTKflash or flash fix to go back but you can try it and see if it helps your media also.
I don’t have a bunch of other types to try with, mainly the orange topped Riteks from PC Club and they burn faster and better with the older version. I get those for 20 bucks so untill they come out with another version that leaves these as is and helps other media too I’ll stay with the older one for now.

Originally posted by Dartman
topped Riteks from PC Club and they burn faster and better with the older version. I get those for 20 bucks so untill they come out with another version that leaves these as is and helps other media too I’ll stay with the older one for now.

Where are you buying? Are you in scandinavia?

Oregon and that price is for 25 in a cake box. They seem to be reprints and I could only do 2x with my Sony 500 but the 811 does 4x with even better quality with these.
The new Firmware might make some disk work better but the scan for the ones I have look lousy so I went back. However even the bad looking ones worked in my Players so it might not be showing the true error rates and every drive I tesed them with had a different error level. The earlier one seems to show much better with 2 of my drives with the cheap disks so like I said I’ll keep it for now.

It looks like there are very few people with the LDW-811s in the forum, I have not found so much info about media that works ok with this drive.
I have been searching more the web here for the different brands of media that they sell here and so far this is the thread for media that comes in packages of 25 (tube or cakebox) or more:

25 That’s write 4X DVD±R: No idea who produces this.
25 Datawrite (the red ones) 4X DVD+R: They can be Princo for some pages that I have browsed here in the forum, but I am not sure.
25 Fortis 2X/4X DVD±R: The -R is crap for the LDW-811s
25 Traxdata DVD+R: No idea who produces this.
25 Datasafe DVD+R: No idea who produces this.

It appears that this drive is not as good writing DVD-R as writing DVD+R. I am starting to regret the buy of this drive, I have bought it for its correct EFM emulation capabilities (for copying SD 3.1 games) but I maybe should have gotten the Plextor one.

I have to go back as this HSOK is practically useless for me

Originally posted by old&slow
I have to go back as this HSOK is practically useless for me

What is your problem in HS0K?

I dont own the Liteon anymore.
Returned it for a Plextor.
Liteon has become to frustrating for me.
Third drive that quit inside a month.
2 411’s and an 811

Originally posted by old&slow
I dont own the Liteon anymore.
Returned it for a Plextor.
Liteon has become to frustrating for me.
Third drive that quit inside a month.
2 411’s and an 811

I was also thinking in doing this, but the drive has started to behave better with the Rocoh media (That’s write) and the Plextor don’t offer me correct bit encoding for backing up Safedisk 3.10 that the LDW-811s do offers. Also without the Liteon I cannot use K-Probe for testing media. Thta’s why I decided to keep the drive. Good luck with your new burner.

I’ll hang onto mine for the same reason, it supports Kprobe and They keepupdating firmware. If it continues to be back and forth I might get a NEC to do important stuff with.
It’s pretty variable as far as quality versus media, speed, and also firmware used. I kinda wonder if it learns media as it burns it or just completely relys on the tables in the firmware and the EEPROM calibration.
Mine does most media real clean at 4x, it’s harder to get good results at higher speeds. It seems to do really well with the MCC Verbatim media at 6x and good to awfull with the RICOH Memorex and TDK media I have at 6x but does well again at 4x.
At least mine does the media well at it’s rated speed so far and does better then my Sony 500a at 4x with any media that the Sony can only do at 2x.