Help- Looking for a model that shortens segements in editing

I am looking for a new dvd recorder and I am looking for a model that will allow me to edit out commercials by shortening the segment. The outside box doesn’t really state the editing techniques. I appreciate any help.

I think DVD recorders that use DVD-RAM can do that.

Or ones with a HDD. Depending where you live they may be easy or harder to find. In the US about our only new choice would be the Magnavox 2160A or the Philips 3576, both mostly available at Walmart.com.
In the US we also have the option of a international Panasonic(or a few other brands) from places like Worldimport.com. Note they generally don’t include a NTSC tuner and for sure not a ATSC/QAM tuner. They do record from NTSC line inputs though.

Allow me to add a word of caution towards Philips

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f116/old-dvds-but-new-one-me-275972/

Most discs require finalization before they may be read in other players, DVD Drives or computer DVD burners. Some DVD media or recording formats (defaulted or selected in DVD recorder menus) are not always compatible with other devices.

Often older players/recorders or computer DVD Drives may not recognize the “+” media that first appeared in the marketplace in 2004. It wasn’t until 25 January 2008 that the “+” formats were first recognized by the DVD Forum, a consortium of manufacturers.

Toshiba, for instance, didn’t market DVD recorders that supported “+” media until the summer/fall of 2007. Panasonic claimed that their 2006 recorders supported “+” media. The reality is otherwise. Most Panasonic owners even today know better than using “+” media.

There are other problems with the inferior dye formualtions found in most retail brands of 16X media. For that reason most of the discs I use in my Panasonic DVD recorders and Philips and Magnavox HDD/DVD recorders are Taiyo Yuden Premium Line 8X DVD-R media. These discs are widely compatible, are of the highest quality, very reliable in performance and cost just a few cents more per disc than the landfill class media found in retail stores.

Unfinalized discs recorded on Panasonics may be freely swapped between and among other Panasonic recorders.

Many Philips, Magnavox, and other Funai-manufactured DVD recorders and HDD/DVD recorders may swap unfinalized discs as long as these machines’ setup menus have “Make Recordings Compatible” activated. Then the swapped disc may have a brief recording made–even of just a few seconds in duration–to establish the receiving machine’s “ownership” of the disc enabling additional recording and subsequent finalizing.

For more information read DVD recorder Owner’s Manuals. For older computer DVD Drives see compatibility information on manufacuturer websites.

Most discs require finalization before they may be read in other players, DVD Drives or computer DVD burners. Some DVD media or recording formats (defaulted or selected in DVD recorder menus) are not always compatible with other devices.

Then let me add a caution about the Magnavox 2160A (currently the only brand new HDD/DVD recorder available in the USA)…According to some other forums, this model has trouble ‘finalizing’ disks if there is a timer recording scheduled…

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2285450]Then let me add a caution about the Magnavox 2160A (currently the only brand new HDD/DVD recorder available in the USA)…According to some other forums, this model has trouble ‘finalizing’ disks if there is a timer recording scheduled…[/QUOTE]

I was fortunate enough to order my Magnavox 2160 from the first production run (August 2008). My 2160 is the best of my four Philips and Magnavox HDD/DVD recorders. The second 2160 production run (December 2008) is also OK (according to other owners). The problematic 2160 production run is the third (March 2009) with the suffix “A” added to the model name. The full model name for the problematic third production run is H2160MW9A. The seller, walmart.com, does not distinguish between these versions on their website, but the problematic “A” version is the only one currently shipping. The “A” version has different firmware that accommodates the switchover to SATA hard drives. (The first two 2160 production runs used 160GB PATA hard drives.)

In March I upgraded my Magnavox H2080MW8 from an 80GB to a 160GB hard drive, a fifteen minute procedure. Earlier, I had purchased a second 2160 remote to replace the original 2080 remote that was awkward to use while editing.

I also have one Philips 3575 (2007) and one Philips 3576 (2008). These 160GB models, as well as the Magnavox 2080, have 4X DVD Drives. The 2160 has an 8X DVD Drive that cuts the elapsed time of high-speed dubs nearly in half.

From what I understand, the firmware in these Philips and Magnavox models will support hard drives up to 500GB in size using the simple upgrade procedure descibed in a link in this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=12244086#post12244086

Darn good info… Thanks :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=CCRomeo;2285262]I think DVD recorders that use DVD-RAM can do that.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your reply. I do know that dvd-ram allow me to edit but, for example, the last dvd recorder I bought was the Panasonic DMR EZ37V. It allows me to divide a program but, it doesn’t allow me to shorten out the segment. So, in order to remove a commercial, I have to divide it twice and then go back and delete the commercial.

I appreciate all the help everyone is given me.

Thank you!
For all your help.

I’ve only learned recently that unfortunately with the introduction of the EZ line of DVDRs in '07 (and also the ES-20 and ES-40v in '05) HDD less Panasonics no longer have the [I]shorten[/I] title function anymore, even with RAM discs:(
So something like the aforementioned Magnavox 2160A or a [I]international[/I] Panasonic with a HDD would be needed to do that function.

thanks for the info i am looking to getting a new DVD/HDD recorder as welll, my Philips dvr/hdd died on me last year

Here’s a link to one place selling international Panasonics Link
You still may be able to find the Philips 3576 w/160gb HDD. It’s near clone the Magnavox 2160A (which has the bug where you cannot finalize discs if you have any timer events scheduled) is available at Walmart.com and it’s been stated Target.com will soon be selling it as well. People have been very successful upgrading the Philips/Magnavox 2160 HDDs up to 500gb, AFAIK no one has yet tried upgrading a 2160A HDD but all hopes are it will act similar to the regular 2160 AFA HDD upgrades.

[QUOTE=JOZ1;2292130]thanks for the info i am looking to getting a new DVD/HDD recorder as welll, my Philips dvr/hdd died on me last year[/QUOTE]

The simple procedure for hard drive reformatting or replacement in North American Philips 3575/3576 and Magnavox 2080/2160 models is found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=12355769#post12355769