Help! LiteOn drive won't be recognised in XP

Hi,

I bought a new computer last month with a lite-on LTR-48125W CD writer running on windows XP. the first 2 weeks the writer was working fine. But in the last 2 weeks the writer (d:/) isn’t even recognized in windows xp. I made sure that the hardware is plugged in and working properly, it’s even in the system BIOS. XP knows the hardware is installed but says that the driver is corrupted or missing. I’ve downloaded and installed new drivers from the lite-on website and windows XP still says that the driver is corrupted or missing.

Please HELP!! Someone told me that I’d have to re-install XP to fix the problem but I’d like to find an alternative to this.

~thanks

In device manager, remove the IDE controller and drive, reboot and let XP re-detect them.

I removed both the drive and the VIA bus master IDE controller, rebooted, let XP detect them and install the drivers automatically, then rebooted again. but i still have the same result, it still says the CD-RW driver is corrupt or missing.

Try this.

Right click on My Computer, Go to Manage, Then when the box comes up with services, wmi and something ( I cant remember what it is of the top of my head, Look for the services, click it, then look for the IMAPI, click, Then disable it. Reboot( I think u can skip the reboot) then try burning cd with it, that tells the IMAPI(built in burn program for XP) to not start up. If all goes well let us know.

Imapi does cause some consider problems, because it runs as a service.

if you had vitual drive installed (like alcohol 120%, which cause me the same problem), try my solution:

boot into safe mode and winxp should recognize your drive, now reboot into normal mode and everything should be fine.

hope this help.

jealouzy

Thanks for all the help guys. I had some help from microsoft tech support and they figured out what the problem was. i had to delete some files from the registry.

here are the procedures if anybody runs into this problem in the future:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. In the Open box, type “regedit” (without the quotation marks), and then click OK.

3. Locate the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/Curretcontrolset/Control/Class/{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

1. On the File menu, click Export.

2. In the “File name” box, type “savedkey” (without the quotation marks), and then click Save.

3. Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type UpperFilters, and then click Delete on the Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

NOTE: If this data type is missing, continue to the next method.

1. Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type LowerFilters, and then click Delete on the Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

2. Quit the Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

~ Thanks again everybody. Take it easy.

Did you install Roxio EasyCD on your system before the problem occurred?

Originally posted by rizzo
[B]Thanks for all the help guys. I had some help from microsoft tech support and they figured out what the problem was. i had to delete some files from the registry.

here are the procedures if anybody runs into this problem in the future:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. In the Open box, type “regedit” (without the quotation marks), and then click OK.

3. Locate the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/Curretcontrolset/Control/Class/{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

1. On the File menu, click Export.

2. In the “File name” box, type “savedkey” (without the quotation marks), and then click Save.

3. Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type UpperFilters, and then click Delete on the Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

NOTE: If this data type is missing, continue to the next method.

1. Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type LowerFilters, and then click Delete on the Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

2. Quit the Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

~ Thanks again everybody. Take it easy. [/B]

Actually I did have it installed but it caused problems with XP so i immediately uninstalled it.

you think this could have caused the problem?

I’ve seen this problem attributed to installs or aborted installs of ECDC. What problem did you have with ECDC?

Originally posted by rizzo
[B]Actually I did have it installed but it caused problems with XP so i immediately uninstalled it.

you think this could have caused the problem? [/B]

I have that same goddamn problem. Tried the ‘simple’ solutions first, but they didn’t work. Then I tried the registring editing, but didn’t find any lower or upper filters. You said that if you didn’t find these data types go to the next method, but which method is that?
Hope you guys can help.
Tx